what FP to VPX tables should there be

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    HauntFreaks
      @hauntfreaks
      vipContributorMember

I come from Future Pinball, it was the first system I had installed and the first tables I ever built… then i came to my senses….lol
      there are some unbelievably beautiful FP tables, tons of them are EM’s…. and some great originals

so if you have played or followed any about FP, what tables would you like to see converted from FP to VPX?
      i’m not saying i’m the guy to do it, because, uumm…. I can…lol   but we have the best of the best here that could do it….

here’s my two originals I would love to see
      Road Girls
      Three Angels

Drybonz
      Participant
        @drybonz

Looking at the IPDB top 10 list, there are some of the top ranked EM’s that exist in FP but do not have a VP version at all… at least not VP9 or 10.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Three angels would be great in vp. Who would be crazy enough to try that! I want strip poker fp table in vp ;)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

War of the Worlds is my #1   …simple, elegant design with good gameplay and a sound track that is “out of this world” …boom-tish!!

“The chances of WOTW coming to VP, are a million to one he said….”

Scotty VH
              @scottt
              ModeratorMember

I recall Aliens to be a great FP table. I haven’t played FP in a while though. Road Girls is also awesome.

RYSr (Rich)
              Participant
                @rysr

Haven’t downloaded new tables since VP9, But these would be very Visually stunning/enjoyable/playable :good: with the current VPX!! :good:
                Three Angels

Road Girls

Metal Slug

Blue vs Pink

Dead Hunters

HauntFreaks
                  @hauntfreaks
                  vipContributorMember

some great EM’s I would be will to layout is someone wanted to script them…..

Struggle Buggies Williams (1953)

Auto Race Gottlieb (1956)

Nine Sisters Williams (1953)

Flipper Clown  Gottlieb (1962)

Jungle  Williams (1960)

Flipper Parade  Gottlieb (1961)

Happy Clown  Gottlieb (1964)

Band Wagon  Bally (1965)

Cow Poke  Gottlieb (1965)

World Fair Gottlieb (1964)

Ten Spot Williams (1961)

ICPjuggla
                    @icpjuggla
                    MembervipModerator

The easy part in my opinion would be building the table, I could build any of them fairly easily. But without someone already on board to go the long haul with this I wouldn’t even bother starting. It would be a wast of time.

Problem is finding someone willing to invest the time to script a non rom controlled table. So unless someone like JP, cheeps or Shoopity want to invest months scripting something like a FP original none of them will ever get made or even happen. It’s a daunting task to say the least, I would think. Tools like the xdmd would help make it a bit easier but with that said there are only a few guys around our comunity that could pull this type of build off.

I guess you all can make lists until the cows come home. It’s fun to dream though! lol

HauntFreaks
                      @hauntfreaks
                      vipContributorMember

The easy part in my opinion would be building the table, I could build any of them fairly easily. But without someone already on board to go the long haul with this I wouldn’t even bother starting. It would be a wast of time. Problem is finding someone willing to invest the time to script a non rom controlled table. So unless someone like JP, cheeps or Shoopity want to invest months scripting something like a FP original none of them will ever get made or even happen. It’s a daunting task to say the least, I would think. Tools like the xdmd would help make it a bit easier but with that said there are only a few guys around our comunity that could pull this type of build off. I guess you all can make lists until the cows come home. It’s fun to dream though! lol

OK debbie downer for that reality check….. lol    a man can dream

ICPjuggla
                        @icpjuggla
                        MembervipModerator

lol that’s what I’m around for to bring you all back to reality.. :-)

Scooby
                        Participant
                          @scooby

Would the Goonies FP table be easier to convert to VPX? I love that table and if it weren’t for the “floating” ball feel of FP, would be in my top 5.

HauntFreaks
                            @hauntfreaks
                            vipContributorMember

Would the Goonies FP table be easier to convert to VPX? I love that table and if it weren’t for the “floating” ball feel of FP, would be in my top 5.

goonies you say?…. hummm… I’ve heard this brought up some place else…. keep your fingers crossed

but like ICP has said, the physical table is a no brainer, its the coding of the tables thats where the all the work would come from….
                            I’ve been shopping my FP Nightmare Before Christmas tables for years now… and no one is willing to code it…. even tho it has NO existing rules, meaning  they can be made up as its being coded… yet no one wants to do it, because its lots of work….

freneticamnesic
                              @freneticamnesic
                              vipModeratorMember

UW has said in the past, the script conversion is pretty easy…

I’ve taken a look at Space Cadet and that one at least is something I could do. Most of the code is the same, some things need changed, and if you comment out all the DMD writes, the table could be functional rather quickly. Converting the DMD to UltraDMD might be pretty easy too, you could have a variable that converts any DMD writes to the UltraDMD format, or just go through and manually change each line which would probably be easier if you’re just doing one table. If you’re going to convert a bunch, having a conversion script would make it a lot easier once you wrote it.

It looks like the biggest change apart from DMD is the way objects are moved on a table. Lights also are slightly different since they use animation frames for a lot of them. Easy enough once you do one.

I’m not saying Three Angels would be a cake walk but I think anyone with some basic understanding of scripting could knock it out rather quickly. Though perhaps the fact that it hasn’t been done before implies that I’m severely overlooking a very crucial step…….

The FP documentation is VERY thorough though, finding out what commands do what is rather easy. It would take me far longer than it would take someone like JP or UW. And people with more knowledge of FP than me would have a much easier time.

Converting the playfield to VP is the easy bit. I learned about the existence of space cadet in FP less than 2 hours ago and I’ve already got most of the damn thing converted to VP already:

Punch it!

TerryRed
                                @terryred
                                MemberContributorModerator

I’m still fairly new to the virtual pinball cabinet scene, but I have dabbled in VP and FP over the years on desktop.

I built my cabinet last Nov and have been adding to it ever since with FP primarily in mind, as well as PFX2, and then afterward VP. (never intended on installing feedback)

Here’s a video showing off the excellent FP tables in Pinball X on my cabinet…including some of yours HauntFreaks!

I do love the VPX tables in my cabinet, especially now that I have DOF for feedback (solenoids, blower fan, beacon, strobes, RGB flashers and addressable LEDS)

However I still find myself loving Future Pinball! I have over 170 of the best tables in my cabinet.

Correct me if I’m wrong guys, but the main things that people don’t like about Future Pinball are:

1-weird / bad physics (newton engine)

2-no rom support = having to script the entire table yourself.

3-no more support / updates for Future Pinball

4-feedback on a cabinet is not automatic (because of no rom support and no DOF). Even with the current Led-Wiz support, it needs to be added to the table script.

Things I have found:

1) 2.7 physics and Zed physics can be pretty good (compared to FP’s native physics-which give the floaty ball feel), as long as a table has been properly made to work with it. Some of the newer tables play great with 2.7 physics! Older tables WILL play horrible if you don’t use the correct physics the table was intended for. This is where proper use of BAM makes all the difference!

2) This does suck, and does require a lot of work. However, the original tables on FP are amazing! The recreation / modded ones (SLAMT1LT’s for example) are excellent, but the VP versions simply do work as intended…but god the original arcade PinMAME sound is horrible in comparison to FP mods.

3)While it seems Chris will never update FP or give the open source out…. Ravarcade has done some amazing things with Better Arcade Mode (BAM) for Future Pinball. The per pixel lighting and shading,etc has given FP a huge graphics boost. There are other recent changes that allows for mini / movable playfields (Indiana Jones – Williams). Not to mention the head tracking / 3D / VR support!

4)Led-Wiz support is good, but not updated to include newer cabinet toys, and is limited in hardware controller support (no sainsmart, pacled64,etc)

DOF R3 support for Future Pinball is coming!

However, I have been beta testing DDH69’s excellent DOFFX2 that will give full DOF cabinet toys support for Future Pinball for Led-wiz, Sainsmart USB, PacLED64, and Pinscape controllers!  I don’t mean using DOFFX2 to trigger Led-Wiz outputs by a keyboard key (it’s initial function for PFX2). I mean being able to easily program the DOF calls to DOFFX2 in the table’s script once…independent of the hardware needed…as DOFFX2 will take those triggers / calls from the FP table and translate them to DOF!

So if someone adds in the DOFFX2 feedback commands to the Future Pinball table…there’s no need to add in support for new / special cabinet toys or hardware controllers as that is handled by DOFFX2 itself.  That means that Sainsmart, PACLED64,Pinscape, and Led-Wiz users can all use solenoids, shaker motor, gear motor, blower fan, beacons, strobes, RGB leds, knockers, etc in their cabinets with Future Pinball!  (no addressable leds yet  ;)  )

Didn’t mean to hi-jack this thread. I’ve been beta testing and have been getting excited for having DOF in FP!

I got a little carried away there….don’t get me wrong I love VPX! I just find myself more often playing the newer FP tables and wishing that VP had the same graphics and sounds and original tables…

Which brings me to the original topic.  Geeze…there’s PLENTY of FP tables I would love to see on VPX!

Of course your tables HauntFreaks. I have them all!

All of SLAMT1LT’s original tables…and all of his modded versions of other people’s tables (though you lose all of the cool video clips and other bling with VP)

http://speak1970.wixsite.com/slamspinballemporium

Any of Rom’s tables: Master of the Universe, Gone in 60 seconds

Just too many to list!

HauntFreaks
                                  @hauntfreaks
                                  vipContributorMember

LOL   did Terry just cab spam us….lol

freneticamnesic
                                    @freneticamnesic
                                    vipModeratorMember

It’s a neat lookin cab. I’ll allow it.

Punch it!

HauntFreaks
                                      @hauntfreaks
                                      vipContributorMember

It’s a neat lookin cab. I’ll allow it.

good pointy, I mean good point

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

Lol…sorry guys.  I’m still fairly new to people, and I put those pics in there so people will see where I’m coming from in terms of FP and VP. I don’t know all of the history of FP and VP from the last 6 years, so I’ve had a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time.

I just always get the feeling (with all the FP bashing) that if I say I love FP, that the VP crowd will say “He’s not a cabinet user with DOF / toys with the amazing and easy support that VP has, what does he know!”

With the FP crowd I feel like “He only likes VP because he has a cabinet, and hasn’t seen the TRUE POWER OF FP!”   :)

I just wanted it to be known I love both still. They both have their strengths, as does PFX2. However I would love to see my favorite FP tables on VPX! Even if I do prefer them on FP! I like having the option of seeing full proper rom support on the arcade ports.

HauntFreaks
                                          @hauntfreaks
                                          vipContributorMember

FP’s rendering engine is superior to VP
                                          if FP wasn’t a dead system that will never be updated to modern standards, no matter what little tweaks the FP community have made to it
                                          the FP dude is another “i’m taking my ball and going home” kinda guy
                                          so for now all FP is good for it showing it off how good something looks…. (well used to be)
                                          even tho VPX has now given the VP world awesome lighting… in the end FP still looks better, just plays like balls
                                          i’m shocked that there isn’t more FP table builders defecting to VPX….. maybe it’s the extra work that involved in making VP tables and less drag and drop
                                          I  didnt ever think i would disable FP in my rig, but i did about 6mouth ago… and archived the tables to make room for my VPX stuff…
                                          I dont even DL VP9 stuff anymore and never use it to showcase my rig when friends stop over…
                                          its one more reason I wish there was customizable PBX categories (without building custom XML files) but this is a whole other rant…

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

Define “categories” in PBX… do you mean custom sub-menus? or custom systems menus?

I have all my systems as “custom” “other” systems in PBX, (except FP ironically). So my VP9,PM5,VPX are all separate. I don’t use the alternate.exe function.

I use the Manage Groups function to make any “category” / “custom” menu that I want. So if I want a “Marvel” menu that combines tables from each system, I can do that.

But i’m guessing you’re thinking more along the lines of having a table with a “checkbox” type option (in Game Manager) that would associate it with any category(s) without creating new lists?  Or maybe a new category filed entry? That would be nice!

Yah, its a shame that Chris (and other developers of other software) has that “I won’t bother with this program anymore, but I don’t want anyone else to either” type of attitude. Then the software dies out, when the community could have continued on with it. Maybe there is a reason we don’t know about that doesn’t allow him to release the source code? (did he make a deal with a developer,etc) Chris did come out at some point to praise Ravarcade’s BAM.

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t the B2S server in the same boat…no longer being developed, but not giving the source code out to let others continue? That would seem to me be a big worry for the DOF community…  I love my addressable leds!  :(

I certainly do understand not wanting to invest time into a table in a program that may never get updated.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 67 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?