what FP to VPX tables should there be

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    HauntFreaks
      @hauntfreaks
      vipContributorMember

i’ll elaborate on the PBX categories:

when we fill out all the fields in the game list manager its creating a XML file
      and when we bring up the category menu while in PBX and say we pick 80’s
      PBX goes and look at all the XML files in the database and brings up anything thats has 198* in it…
      or the limited list of manufacturers
      so if it can pull from the XML database it should be able to pull from any part of the information inputted into the game list manager (XML file)
      customized categories would be more decades, manufacturers,  EM or SS  <—this is all standard info in the XML
      other customized thing i would want are the top ten tables most played
      I’ve brought this up on PBX the forum where at first it was like i was speaking some unknown language and had no clue what i was asking… typical over there
      then once i explained it 3-4 times they under stood, but got the reply “how powerful do you think the frontend is”
      even tho the frontend does everything i said already, so it would just be an explanation of what it already does…
      it was never addressed, but now we can add extra text throughout the programs, like that was needed….lol

B2S Server??…. i think if someone was smart enough to tackle that mess they can do it with no repercussion….. and boy does it need it…
      HELLO!! IS SOMEONE OUT THERE SMART ENOUGH FOR THIS TASK!?!?!?!……
      ……. crickets…. just like i thought

TNT2
      Participant
        @tnt2

As someone who has never played Future Pinball (heard a lot of complaints about the physics so I didn’t bother……VP seems to spoil us) I had no idea the graphics looked that good.

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

As someone who has never played Future Pinball (heard a lot of complaints about the physics so I didn’t bother……VP seems to spoil us) I had no idea the graphics looked that good.

It really looks cool when you use head tracking. Some tables (like Haunfreak’s tables) really do show off nicely…especially with BAM’s much better lighting and shading.

I’ve seen some great conversions to VPX, and I do like the “completeness” of using the original roms for the tables…but even the best conversions still don’t compare to FP’s maxed out BAM graphics.

TerryRed
            @terryred

i’ll elaborate on the PBX categories: when we fill out all the fields in the game list manager its creating a XML file and when we bring up the category menu while in PBX and say we pick 80’s PBX goes and look at all the XML files in the database and brings up anything thats has 198* in it… or the limited list of manufacturers so if it can pull from the XML database it should be able to pull from any part of the information inputted into the game list manager (XML file) customized categories would be more decades, manufacturers, EM or SS <—this is all standard info in the XML other customized thing i would want are the top ten tables most played I’ve brought this up on PBX the forum where at first it was like i was speaking some unknown language and had no clue what i was asking… typical over there then once i explained it 3-4 times they under stood, but got the reply “how powerful do you think the frontend is” even tho the frontend does everything i said already, so it would just be an explanation of what it already does… it was never addressed, but now we can add extra text throughout the programs, like that was needed….lol B2S Server??…. i think if someone was smart enough to tackle that mess they can do it with no repercussion….. and boy does it need it… HELLO!! IS SOMEONE OUT THERE SMART ENOUGH FOR THIS TASK!?!?!?!…… ……. crickets…. just like i thought

Now this is ringing a bell…i may have even seen that post.

HauntFreaks
              @hauntfreaks
              vipContributorMember

yeah man…. it looks unreal beautiful…. this is a screenshot , not that you would play from this angle… here a good example, Asteroid Annie I did in FP a couple years ago

TNT2
              Participant
                @tnt2

Wow.

TerryRed
                  @terryred

Wow.

I know, eh.

Here’s a video of BAM 3D head tracking of Masters of the Universe in my cabinet. Alot of people don’t understand what I mean by head tracking. This video helps to show what that is. Skip to 2:30 to skip the details and get right to the demo if you want.

HauntFreaks
                    @hauntfreaks
                    vipContributorMember

our overseer Randr used to be the Head Tracking kit maker supreme….LOL

its cool stuff….

TerryRed
                      @terryred

Yah, I remember those kits. I never used the two camera method (much better method) as I already had one PS3 eye camera and a 3 point IR hat for my racing simpit. All I had to do to set up BAM head tracking was setup FacetrackNoIR, and I was good to go…no calibrating,etc…   Not as good as the two camera / Wii remote method, but very close.

Would love to get a Kinect V2 and try that out…or even better try out FP BAM in Oculus Rift or HTC Vive.

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

Yeah i made a lot of kits! 275! but i just could not take the physics of FP anymore even though it looks amazing the physics just kill the fun! Even with latest 2.7 or whatever its still not good. better yes…

********************************************************
                        Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                        for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                          @terryred

Yeah i made a lot of kits! 275! but i just could not take the physics of FP anymore even though it looks amazing the physics just kill the fun! Even with latest 2.7 or whatever its still not good. better yes…

It is a shame that the physics engine in FP wasn’t modular (or even a plug-in) to allow others to change whatever was needed. I do find SlamT1LT’s 2.7 physics better than the normal 2.7, but yes, I’ll agree, its not perfect. Even SLAM agrees its not perfect! (he’s the biggest FP fan out there!) If I started all this playing only VP, I’m sure I would find FP difficult to play. Whereas PFX2 is TOO easy to play with very forgiving physics, etc…

Being that I don’t own any real pins, and its sadly been years since I’ve even been able to play a real pin (none around where I live), i’m certainly not a good reference for real pinball players. I am a very casual player.

I would say this however….if someone was asking me about building a cabinet with toys,feedback,etc and what pinball system to use… I would recommend VP simply because it is much easier to get everything to work by DOF. I’ve had people ask me about getting building a cabinet for Future Pinball, and I make it very clear to them that THEY will be coding the script for feedback to work on non-Led-Wiz tables. Not a simple task for a noob, and most people won’t want to bother.

Though I am stoked about DOF coming to FP, and people being able to add in support to a table for “everyone’s” hardware to use. That adds incentive to add feedback to those tables. DOFFX2 may be due for a name change!  ;)

275 kits!   That’s 550 ps3 eye cameras!   Did those cameras need to be modified at all. The earlier version of the cameras had an IR filter in them that needed to be removed to see IR diodes properly. Luckily the newer cameras didn’t have this issue! (what i have)

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

Yes i modded every cam! Was a ton of time put into each kit and honestly loved doing it! In the end it was camera supply that made me stop making them. I ran out

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                              @terryred

Yes i modded every cam! Was a ton of time put into each kit and honestly loved doing it! In the end it was camera supply that made me stop making them. I ran out

Lol! I was about to ask…did you drain all of Sony’s inventory?  :)

So your cameras needed that IR filter removed from inside the lens? I’ve seen some messy pics of people hacking those things up to do that!

For me, the newer camera just needed an IR “Pass” filter put in front of the lens that allowed “only” IR light to be seen by the lens. I just used the red and blue plastic transparent filter from old red/blue 3d glasses, and just inserted them into the lens cover. They combine to make a good IR pass filter! No mods needed.

This is similar in principle to what Oculus does for the VR camera that sees the IR diodes on the headset.

RustyCardores
                                @rustycardores
                                MemberModerator

It is a shame that the physics engine in FP wasn’t modular (or even a plug-in) to allow others to change whatever was needed. I do find SlamT1LT’s 2.7 physics better than the normal 2.7, but yes, I’ll agree, its not perfect. Even SLAM agrees its not perfect! (he’s the biggest FP fan out there!

I got right into FP at one point (drawn to it by it’s flashy good looks), but I soon got sick of the physics.
                                I then moved to BAM,  but I soon got sick of the physics.
                                I then became very selective on the tables and the physics that BAM injected,  but I soon got sick of the physics.
                                I then moved to Slam’s tables only, but I soon got sick of the physics.
                                I then started modding Slam’s tables myself. In particular the flipper settings and introducing a shaft wobble. This helped greatly, but I soon got sick of the physics.

Needless to say, FP has now been deactivated on my cab. lol

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

Totally agree! I tried! believe me i tried to keep using FP but i also never play it anymore. I still have it on my cab though to play a few tables some day again im sure

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

I may have said this before…but I can equate this to my racing / flight simpit.

I have feedback via 12 transducers that react to telemetry data in the racing game that is fed to software that translates that data into real-time feedback, (or motion if you have that) It’s a total game changer and very cool! Once you have it, you can’t go back. Now playing any racing game that doesn’t work with that software just doesn’t feel right.

Some racing games look amazing and play awesome, but have no feedback support and just don’t feel alive. Others have feedback support, but have bad physics, and just aren’t as fun. So I can relate to what you guys are saying.

I do find myself playing the arcade original pinball games in VP more and more now.

CarnyPriest
                                    Participant
                                      @carnypriest

I have confidence that VPX will have multi-monitor support one day which will mean no longer having to rely on a helper program for animated backglass support.

Also, I’m getting to know TerryRed’s cab better than I know my own! :wacko:

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

I have confidence that VPX will have multi-monitor support one day which will mean no longer having to rely on a helper program for animated backglass support. Also, I’m getting to know TerryRed’s cab better than I know my own! :wacko:

:) No doubt :)

We need to see more of your cab Carney! I haven’t been able to see much of it, and i would love to see it in action! I honestly may have built a PB2000 type cabinet (didn’t know they existed until after my build was done) instead, as that would have been much better suited for a combo cabinet and PC Games on the backglass,etc…

I can’t say I have your confidence in VP being multi-monitor, integrated DMD / backglass, etc.. anytime soon…. but I’m all for it!

CarnyPriest
                                        Participant
                                          @carnypriest

Well, I didn’t say soon. Some day, though.

I still like p2k design, but it has been a PITA to support the DMD display. There was no dmdext until recently, so I had to create my own solutions to support reversing the display for FX2, P-ROC, etc.

On the subject, turning your back on FP means turning away some fine originals. I came into the hobby with VP though, so I haven’t even tried any of the SS recreations. I never really trusted that the coded ruleset and scoring display assets could match just using the original production code on the factory rom. I think I’ve pretty much exhausted what’s available for the recognized masterpieces for FP originals. Are there any FP EMs that play decently?

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

Yah, I’ve seen some of the loops you’ve been going through for that DMD. Hopefully it will all pay off now!

I’m actually the opposite… I’ve been more focused on the SS / DMD recreation tables with FP, and have just started to play with some EM tables.  I know what you mean about wondering if the game code will match the original rom well enough.

I’ve also just started to properly get the physics setup on the “older” FP tables as well, since i now understand how to properly setup the “intended” physics for each table.

I can’t really comment on good “playing” tables… but Alladin’s Castle ans Six Million Dollar Man seem pretty good. (love SLAMT1LT’s mod with the “bionic” sound effect, lol!)

I’ve spent so much time “building” and tinkering with media and software that I really haven’t been able to just “play” for long periods of time. I’m learning more about gameplay each day!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 67 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?