What was the very first real pinball game?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

Without looking up on the internet…..What was the first real coin operated pinball game and where was it made?  Anyone know without looking?  If you know don’t give it away but my next wip is was built less than a year later!  and in my hometown!

CarnyPriest
      Participant
        @carnypriest

According to IPDB

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

Nope, and no cheating.  No Internet to find the answer.  Everyone on this site should know this answer.  Its like asking a car guy, who is the father of the modern day automobile or a gun guy, who was the father of the assault rifle.  If you love pinball, we should all know the history.

If I remember right where you live, @jfr1, you should know this!

Onevox
          Participant
            @rooster

My guess is BaffleBall, but only because that’s the oldest one I can name. I used to enjoy on MS pinball. And it would be Chicago for BB.

Onevox

CarnyPriest
            Participant
              @carnypriest

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Tom
              Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

To answer that question. You have to define better what pinball is. Randr alreeady made Humpty Dumpty. If I remember correctly, it is the first machine with flippers.

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

Yes you are correct thalamus, and “Real” is a very loose term.  Bagatelle pinball variants have been around fo hundreds of years.  I am assuming”they” mean the first coin operated game.

This is where it gets tricky @rooster, Baffle ball is very close, same year, 1931, but now we have to narrow down to months or even weeks.  This is why I love pinball, and it has nothing to do with the flashing lights and pictures on the screens.  The history to me is so incredibly interesting

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

@jfr1, you from Cleveland?

Onevox
                    Participant
                      @rooster

I took a swing and whiffed. Then cheated cause I wanted to read about it. :)

Onevox

JR
                      Participant
                        @jfr1

So…Cleveland has something to do with the first COIN operated pin?  That’s intriguing.  Moloney was from Cleveland?  Or the guy that made the M1?  I do know, as my High School is named after Charles F Brush – – fighting Arcs!  that he invented the lights first used to electrically light streets.  First stop light was invented here as well.  And the lamp-glass division of GE which was sadly just sold off is headquartered here at Nela Park.   My dad worked for GE here in Cleveland for 50 years eventually heading their r&d and garnered countless patents including for the quartz tubing that made Lucalox/high pressure sodium bulbs viable to make – so Cleveland was the first place to have those amber street lights as well.       …what were we talking about??

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

about 80 miles southeast.  Nothing that good ever came out of Cleveland, except the Ravens when they left, lol.  That hurt.

Crakkers
                          Participant
                            @crakkers

about 80 miles southeast

Youngstown?

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

Bam, Youngstown, OH.  Home of Al Bundy, the first coin operated pinball game, Jim Trafficant, The Youngstown Tune up and yours truly.  If you dont know what a Youngstown Tune Up is, oh boy your in for a treat of a story…

JR
                              Participant
                                @jfr1

First coin-op pin was from Youngstown?  That is weird!  Almost as weird as Trafficant’s wig was.  So you must be familiar with Nodays pizza and deli!  As long as we’re just chatting – I think Ozzie Newsome and what he did for the Ravens is a special thing that came out of Cleveland.  As is Halle Berry ;)    and Superman.

Tom
                                Participant
                                  @armyaviation
                                  MemberContributor

Double post

Crakkers
                                  Participant
                                    @crakkers

Home of Al Bundy, the first coin operated pinball game, Jim Trafficant, The Youngstown Tune up and yours truly.

I’ve learned something today. Sounds like a weird town……..I like it!

Jimbo sounded like an interesting character….. and yeah, brilliant wig! As for the Youngstown Tune-up – I don’t think I’d want any of those ‘mechanics’ working on my cars, but it’s a great phrase.

Still haven’t nailed which pinball game you’re taking about, but I’ve got a shortlist – breaking the rules of course by searching various websites.

Edit: I need to learn to look before I leap…….or learn how to type faster!

Tom
                                    Participant
                                      @armyaviation
                                      MemberContributor

So the correct answer is Whiffle by Automatic Industries in early 1931.  Here is a pinside article of it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1931-automatic-industries-whiffle-the-1st-pinball-machine

I bought a pin in Youngstown on Craigslist a couple years ago that I was able to identify and restore to excellent condition.  It’s a 1932  Bunnyboard by Marble Games Company.  They started making them in late 31 and changed the table slightly in 1932.  There was a write up in the pinball encyclopedia and I retyped it so it could be read easier.  Very interesting times In history and everyone should Be aware of where and how pinball tables cane to existence

Bunnyboard wip is inprogress and almost done.  I will post the article in the release.

Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @armyaviation
                                        MemberContributor

Here is whiffle, very similar

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

D37BCD0C-49BE-43F6-8A41-EF77D4C03E114F940F1A-6C03-4213-87DE-B6567776ABB5

JR
                                          Participant
                                            @jfr1

So Whiffle was the first coin op pin?!  And you’re working to bring a Bunnyboard to vpx life?  Cool!      as a sidebar note – you brought notice to Y-town, and had a new poster named Crakkers  suddenly chime in.  Hmmm…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?