Windows updates are really starting to piss me off

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I have been away from my cab since 20 Nov and when i got back and turned it on for the first time it installed an update.  This update screwed with my Nvidia resolution settings and also disabled surround sound in windows which in turn screwed with VPX audio preferences.  So do i stop all windows updates and hope down the road when we get new software it doesnt require them or do i keep updating windows and deal with this crap messing with my settings that i have perfect for me….. Happy holidays you crazy bastards

BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

got my cab working and blocked it from being able to get to the internet.  no updates anymore.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        NailBuster
          @nailbuster
          ModeratorMember

This year i blocked/stopped all windows updates on all my ‘game-room’ pcs.  Never been happier just turning on vpin or mamecab after a few months and it just continues to work without any update ‘messages’ or new defender blocks…etc.

I wouldn’t suggest to disable on your desktop pc’s (ones you use daily with internet sites)… but i find no reason to keep your gaming only PCs with real-time updates.

BUT,  word of caution… if you’re not a ‘power’ user… then keep all those protections on as you may do things you think are safe but are not.

JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

Haven’t had my cab pc online since I first set it up.  So close to two years?  I’m afraid what would happen if it ever gets back online again.

Hope you’re having  good holiday Tom!

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

Unfortunately I use my cab to build tables so I am constantly using the internet.  I guess I should use another computer and download stuff and then transfer via thumb drive but I am lazy.

we just had the movers come today and packed and took all our stuff.  We are headed to rock island this weekend and they are getting pounded with snow as we speak.  I was fortunate to get 10 days to come home to see the fam for Christmas and we are hopefully only gonna be in IL until October.  With the stimulus bill appearing that it will pass, the airlines are bringing everyone back so hopefully by this time next year we will be back in Destin/ Panama City area and staying for good.
              I would love to get back to the couple tables I have in build but it looks like life will be a bit hectic until close to feb.  it’s nice to see everyone coming out with updated b2s and tables, Thanks all.   I have almost 100 things in my downloaded but waiting to install file and finally gonna get the new video card in and I think a 4K tv is on the horizon so good times a comin.  Hope all have a good holiday

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

Keep us posted on the 4k tv search.  I’ve been looking also.

Good luck with all the changes.  Happy New Year!

LynnInDenver
                Participant
                  @lynnindenver

Yeah, this is part of why the cabinet is still running Windows 7… not that I’ve had much issue with the Windows 10 yet (fingers crossed) upstairs. The cabinet is online, but that’s mostly for FX3/Zaccaria/Pinball Wicked/Timeshock.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                  Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                  Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

L0stS0ul
                  Participant
                    @l0sts0ul

Every time windows updates I loose my backglass at a minimum. Sometimes just restarting the machine works but not always. Sometimes I have to uninstall and reinstall the video drivers. Some updates have even caused horrible framerate issues with flashers and stuff within vpx. I dread when I see the cab updating. With windows 10 you can’t stop it now you can only delay it for a month or so. Best thing to do is disable the network connection if you can. I have fx3 on my cab as well and my son likes to play online with it so I’m a bit hosed. Would love to just have vpx on the cab.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?