Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Thalamus
      @thalamus
      ContributorMemberModerator

…. so, I hope you guys enjoy.

You’re kidding me ? This looks friggin great guys !

NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

ok… so we’re pretty much ready for release.

This avatar uses a new feature in PinUp Player that uses dmdext(freezy dmddevice.dll) to trigger videos.  It hasn’t been released yet.

I’m looking for a few new people (3-5) that would like to test this new PinUP version with Avatar before a ‘full’ release.

If your system is already using dmdext(freezy dll) then it should be a simple upgrade/install.

PM me here and I can send you over the beta install/files…

thanks!

roar
        Participant
          @roar

The requirement for the dmddevice.dll… does that include the one used for the PIN2DMD or the one for the PINDMD3/3rd Monitor’s? Or both? Thanks.

MisterKai
          Participant
            @mrkai

The requirement for the dmddevice.dll… does that include the one used for the PIN2DMD or the one for the PINDMD3/3rd Monitor’s? Or both? Thanks.

Hi I can answer that.

The installer backs up your current dmddevice.dll and configs and replaces it with a new one, plus an additional dll for Pupcapture/DMD-based trigger support.

It works just the same as the previous, so if you have a Pin2dmd or one of the other DMDs (or virtual) that dmd ext supports, it just works.

The only issue that has been encountered is with certain Data East DMDs, but this is an issue that exists in dmddevice.dll itself that isn’t normally exposed.

I didn’t have to do anything special. Just install it and your dmd setup should work as it always had, if it works via dmddevice.dll, as they all do now.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            TerryRed
              @terryred
              MemberContributorModerator

The only “possible” issue is you may lose any “Colour” rom support that Lucky’s DLL gives that freezy’s dmdext DLL does not support yet…. but freezy could answer that better. I get alot of Coloured Roms with PuP’s updated DMDext no problem…. but I use an LCD monitor virtual DMD.

TerryRed
                @terryred

Hi I can answer that. The installer backs up your current dmddevice.dll and configs and replaces it with a new one, plus an additional dll for Pupcapture/DMD-based trigger support. It works just the same as the previous, so if you have a Pin2dmd or one of the other DMDs (or virtual) that dmd ext supports, it just works. The only issue that has been encountered is with certain Data East DMDs, but this is an issue that exists in dmddevice.dll itself that isn’t normally exposed. I didn’t have to do anything special. Just install it and your dmd setup should work as it always had, if it works via dmddevice.dll, as they all do now.

…and actually Kai, the latest PuP release (that you are given access to) has that problem with 128×16 DMDs (Data East) all fixed now.

Thalamus
                  @thalamus

Well. It sounds like you’ve studied dmddevice down into the smallest details. Is there a new version of dmddevice released that no one except you guys know about ?

TerryRed
                    @terryred

Well. It sounds like you’ve studied dmddevice down into the smallest details. Is there a new version of dmddevice released that no one except you guys know about ?

No no release.  NB just updated freezy’s dmddevice .dll to work with PuP for PuPCapture (by repurposing dmdext’s AVI output)  ….and there was a bug with 128×16 DMDs that caused a crash when AVI output was enabled.   NB fixed that for PuP.  It wasn’t anything that the end user would normally have an issue with…but it was a big issue for PuP before it was fixed.

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

Well. I’m a bit hesitant to try this out since you mention an installer. I don’t like installers. I want to know exactly what is going on. Also, if that code is based upon 2.6.0 then for me it makes pbx much more unstable so I’m keeping away from it for now.

TerryRed
                        @terryred

Well. I’m a bit hesitant to try this out since you mention an installer. I don’t like installers. I want to know exactly what is going on. Also, if that code is based upon 2.6.0 then for me it makes pbx much more unstable so I’m keeping away from it for now.

Hahah…I said the same thing about using installers… you are given the option of what gets copied where. You can simply install to a Temp folder an copy files over manually if you want.

The only changes it does is backup your current dmdext files that it replaces, and then copies over the new PuP files…then it simply enables the AVI output (which is repurposed to use PuPCapture).

As far as using Dmdext 1.6….I can’t say I’ve had issues with it.   You say it causes issues with PBX?  You have dmdext running with PBX?

Thalamus
                          @thalamus

Yes. Sort of. If I want colored dmd I need dmdext. And if I put it into pinmame folder then pbx will not load until I’ve replaced a few dll files in pbx folder as well. So, you can say I do. Well. As you understand. I’ve tried 2.6 – then downgraded when I noticed stability became worse.

TerryRed
                            @terryred

Yes. Sort of. If I want colored dmd I need dmdext. And if I put it into pinmame folder then pbx will not load until I’ve replaced a few dll files in pbx folder as well. So, you can say I do. Well. As you understand. I’ve tried 2.6 – then downgraded when I noticed stability became worse.

Is this with a real DMD?   and you mean 2.6 of PinMAME?   I’m using 3.0 beta (haven’t updated to full release yet) and dmdext 1.6 with everything (VPX, FX3, FX2) full colour for PinMAME….no problems right now.  I just have PBX use video and images…no PinMAME or B2S for browsing.    Do you have PinMAME or B2S running with PBX?

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

Urk. Of course I mean 1.6.0 NOT 2.6.0 of Freezy yes. The next newest, version 1.5.2 is the one I run. Yes, I have a PinDMD3, so a real one. Pinmame, I’m almost always on the newest. Right now, I haven’t installed the 3.1 beta though. Forgot I downloaded it. I only play videos while browsing, playfield, backglass and in the real dmd.

MisterKai
                              Participant
                                @mrkai

Urk. Of course I mean 1.6.0 NOT 2.6.0 of Freezy yes. The next newest, version 1.5.2 is the one I run. Yes, I have a PinDMD3, so a real one. Pinmame, I’m almost always on the newest. Right now, I haven’t installed the 3.1 beta though. Forgot I downloaded it. I only play videos while browsing, playfield, backglass and in the real dmd.

I understand your concerns and hesitance…after all, you’re the one that helped me get this stuff straight.

The installer is not black-boxing anything, it is very explicit about what it is doing and where things are going *because* of issues experienced during development and testing.

As far as the PinDMDv3 goes, this isn’t interfering with how it works with PBX or anything else. The version I have installed right now works just fine with .pal color roms, etc.

It very likely won’t break your stuff, because we already broke mine…and mine is based on your stuff ;)

-K

MisterKai
                                Participant
                                  @mrkai

…and actually Kai, the latest PuP release (that you are given access to) has that problem with 128×16 DMDs (Data East) all fixed now.

I am not sure about that thru the hardware path, Terry. What’s the date on that build, and the mode set for DE DMD scaling? I can make sure I have the same.

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

I am not sure about that thru the hardware path, Terry. What’s the date on that build, and the mode set for DE DMD scaling? I can make sure I have the same.

Don’t know about date….it’s v1.20b from yesterday.   Data East 128×16 DMDs no longer crash for me (they used to), and I also tried doing a quick PuPCapture of Batman to test…and it worked perfect and trigger videos like it should.

….but I only have a virtual DMD..not a real one, so I don’t know if that even matters or not.

MisterKai
                                    Participant
                                      @mrkai

Don’t know about date….it’s v1.20b from yesterday. Data East 128×16 DMDs no longer crash for me (they used to), and I also tried doing a quick PuPCapture of Batman to test…and it worked perfect and trigger videos like it should. ….but I only have a virtual DMD..not a real one, so I don’t know if that even matters or not.

Ok.

According to David I have the latest version as well. The behavior is different with actual hardware/pindmdv3. It would be nice to find another tester with hardware to confirm this, as well as the other hardware dmds that run thru DMDDevice.dll.

roar
                                      Participant
                                        @roar

Excited to see the Avatar work in action… thanks for everyone’s efforts.

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus

I know I’m being part ass about this now but I already mentioned how I hate installers. It is not that I’m so scared about them. Takes me a couple of minutes to fire up my virtual crap box, but, I don’t want this to become a standard. I mentioned that to Ninuzzu over at mbp on the release of the CL installer for that table as well. I was told that it wouldn’t run a new install of xdmd if it found one already. He didn’t say if it did check that by registry or by path. So someone else mentioned I could just run the installer to a different location than the intended one. Hmm. Ok, if it uses registry, then it would not extract and run the installer, but if it relied on path it would unpack, install and change the registry to the new location that soon would become obsolete. I didn’t bother arguing anymore. Crap box got booted up that day.

I also have mentioned that I’m not running Pup as long as I can’t download it with a file-name other than latest.zip. That doesn’t tell my anything at all and if I was looking for a new version, I would have to download it each time just to check. Updated or not. Yes. I haven’t changed, I’m still a grumpy man, probably never will since I’m soon 50 ! :-)

NailBuster
                                            @nailbuster
                                            ModeratorMember

Ok. According to David I have the latest version as well. The behavior is different with actual hardware/pindmdv3. It would be nice to find another tester with hardware to confirm this, as well as the other hardware dmds that run thru DMDDevice.dll.

I’ve heard back from a new tester with a ‘real-dmd’ (pindmd2).  install went very smoothly and I asked him to try Batman DE… works fine on his system.  His Batman vpx was v1.3 if that helps.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?