Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    roar
    Participant
      @roar

I’ve got a PIN2DMD and give it a go.

MisterKai
      Participant
        @mrkai

Ok. According to David I have the latest version as well. The behavior is different with actual hardware/pindmdv3. It would be nice to find another tester with hardware to confirm this, as well as the other hardware dmds that run thru DMDDevice.dll.

I’ve heard back from a new tester with a ‘real-dmd’ (pindmd2). install went very smoothly and I asked him to try Batman DE… works fine on his system. His Batman vpx was v1.3 if that helps.

I will try this one. Please confirm that it was writing the avi path to pinup. It doesn’t crash if it is not on but does so consistently every time it is on and has never “not done that”.

I don’t believe we should commit to “it’s just you” just yet…as it isn’t the same real dmd either. Let’s get a bigger pool here. I see someone with a PIN2DMD is on deck…

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

Ok. According to David I have the latest version as well. The behavior is different with actual hardware/pindmdv3. It would be nice to find another tester with hardware to confirm this, as well as the other hardware dmds that run thru DMDDevice.dll.

I’ve heard back from a new tester with a ‘real-dmd’ (pindmd2). install went very smoothly and I asked him to try Batman DE… works fine on his system. His Batman vpx was v1.3 if that helps.

I will try this one. Please confirm that it was writing the avi path to pinup. It doesn’t crash if it is not on but does so consistently every time it is on and has never “not done that”. I don’t believe we should commit to “it’s just you” just yet…as it isn’t the same real dmd either. Let’s get a bigger pool here. I see someone with a PIN2DMD is on deck…

Make absolutely sure there aren’t any duplicates of any dmdext files anywhere else. They should only be in the VPinMAME folder. (not in syswow64, system32, etc)

MisterKai
          Participant
            @mrkai

There are no duplicates, and it is an issue I can replicate very consistently. In the interest of clarity, it needs to be understood that it isn’t a “PinUp Player Problem” but an issue with dmddevice.dll that is being exposed.

Basically, if the avi write is engaged in any way, piped to pinup, write to file, doesn’t matter, there is a *pinmame* crash that is taking everything down with it. I can replicate it, and faster, by simply using pinmame. Turn off avi write, everything is fine.

I installed this just 15 minutes ago to re-verify from the build timestamped the 6th. As far as I know, that is the latest.

Again, I don’t believe there is anything special going on with my machine. I downloaded the Batman table again, straight from “the spreadsheet”.  I can actually try this with my older version of the dll, but I believe it does the exact same thing (by older i mean non-pup).

TerryRed
              @terryred

There are no duplicates, and it is an issue I can replicate very consistently. In the interest of clarity, it needs to be understood that it isn’t a “PinUp Player Problem” but an issue with dmddevice.dll that is being exposed. Basically, if the avi write is engaged in any way, piped to pinup, write to file, doesn’t matter, there is a *pinmame* crash that is taking everything down with it. I can replicate it, and faster, by simply using pinmame. Turn of avi write, everything is fine. I installed this just 15 minutes ago to re-verify from the build timestamped the 6th. As far as I know, that is the latest. Again, I don’t believe there is anything special going on with my machine. I downloaded the Batman table again, straight from “the spreadsheet”. I can actually try this with my older version of the dll, but I believe it does the exact same thing (by older i mean non-pup).

I know exactly the issue you mean.  It’s with freezy’s dmdext dmddevice.dll causing 128×16 tables to crash when avi was enabled using external DLL in pinmame. I confirmed this a while back with my setup as well. (those tables crashed with avi enabled, no pup used)

Since then NB found the issue and fixed it with his updated dmddevice.dll, and it’s worked for me ever since….again though, I only use a monitor, but I don’t think that matters.

MisterKai
              Participant
                @mrkai

It *seems to be* mattering somewhat on the pindmdv3…at least mine. It is different with the new build as it gets slightly further along. Since I trust the reports that if is fine on the virtualdmd only I didn’t bother to test that path and I would just think it would be better if we had at least another pindmdv3 in the mix to determine if it is still hanging on just that one, or just me.

Since i use the stuff I got from Thalmus as a baseline and always keep those handy it is trivial to switch back and forth, but I am not sure Nailbuster’s fix is a complete fix and maybe should be noted as such, or we should get better data. Since I detected a change from the “pre-fixed” version I know the change made some difference, but that game is still crashing.

What other ones can i try? i know that there are not that many of them…

TerryRed
                  @terryred

It *seems to be* mattering somewhat on the pindmdv3…at least mine. It is different with the new build as it gets slightly further along. Since I trust the reports that if is vine on the virtualdmd only I didn’t bother to test that path and I would just think it would be better if we had at least another pindmdv3 in the mix to determine if it is still hanging on just that one, or just me. Since i use the stuff I got from Thalmus as a baseline and always keep those handy it is trivial to switch back and forth, but I am not sure Nailbuster’s fix is a complete fix and maybe should be noted as such, or we should get better data. Since I detected a change from the “pre-fixed” version I know the change made some difference, but that game is still crashing. What other ones can i try? i know that there are not that many of them…

It was only tables that used 128×16.   Batman DE, Checkpoint, Hook, TMNT, Star Trek 25th.

We’ve also had reports of new PuP working on Pin2DMD so far (don’t know about Batman though)…so we know that it does work for that…lets hope we can get more testers to verify with their setup.

I’ve been using dmdext 1.6 and had no issues with NB’s fix.  If you are using dmdext 1.5.2 (you said you were using Thamalus stuff…he said he uses dmdext 1.5.2) with NB’s updated fix which uses dmdext 1.6 DLL…..well could that be part of what is causing your crashing?

If you aren’t using all dmdext 1.6 files…try installing all of dmdext 1.6’s files to VPinMAME, then install PuP to also use NB’s fixed DLL with that. See if that helps.

roar
                  Participant
                    @roar

Thanks for the help on discord tonight NB. My previous install had all the pinup files in the root of my tables folder and the new install wants them all in the pinup subfolder including the videos as well… everything is back up and running, Tron looks amazing as ever and Avatar looked good too.

Unfortunately due to my ‘topper’ screen actually being embed in the apron on my cabinet the experience wasn’t as good with Avatar because most of the good action/videos were showing up on my tiny 4” display. I understand a ‘no-topper’ version is in the works though so looking forwars to that.

Also figured out if there are any other people with aging eyes who have their monitors set to 150% sizing and layout the pupb2sconfig tool will be missing some key options! So you will have to set your scaling back to 100%.

thanks everyone for their hard work, the two releases so far are amazing.

Edit: forgot to mention I’m running. PIN2DMD and had no issues.

TerryRed
                      @terryred

Thanks for the help on discord tonight NB. My previous install had all the pinup files in the root of my tables folder and the new install wants them all in the pinup subfolder including the videos as well… everything is back up and running, Tron looks amazing as ever and Avatar looked good too. Unfortunately due to my ‘topper’ screen actually being embed in the apron on my cabinet the experience wasn’t as good with Avatar because all the most of the good action/videos were showing up on my tiny 4” display. I understand a ‘no-topper’ version is in the works though so looking forwars to that. Also figured out if there are any other people with aging eyes who have their monitors set to 150% sizing and layout the pupb2sconfig tool will be missing some key options! So you will have to set your scaling back to 100%. thanks everyone for their hard work, the two releases so far are amazing.

Yes….in a pincab…even when using 4K like I do…you want windows to be at 100 DPI. If you don’t it will cause issues.

Yes, there was a video posted that showed both versions in action….so you should be good there.

Myself…I tend to create all the “action” on the backglass as much as I can..but with Aliens FX3 there will be “some” action on the Topper…in your case it might work better actually.

MisterKai
                      Participant
                        @mrkai

…If you are using dmdext 1.5.2 (you said you were using Thamalus stuff…he said he uses dmdext 1.5.2) with NB’s updated fix which uses dmdext 1.6 DLL…..well could that be part of what is causing your crashing? If you aren’t using all dmdext 1.6 files…try installing all of dmdext 1.6’s files to VPinMAME, then install PuP to also use NB’s fixed DLL with that. See if that helps.

The Pup installer replaces everything in 1.52 and 1.60 as it relates to pinmame. It really does seem that this is restricted to (at least my) pindmdv3, which is perfectly viable and fine. It isn’t a pin2dmd or a previous version. As I said, it is very clear what is happening (the PUPLOG is showing that a single frame was rendered before it choked) so We can say it is “fine” but it I would say it is TBD, and it really isn’t Pup Player’s bug/fault.

People should just know that in testing this came up when it is released, unless we figure out and isolate the issue to something me-specific. Could be something as simple as firmware…I just don’t really know :)

It is better to say up front this was seen tho, even if it is an edge case, since this is all “new”.

Thalamus
                          @thalamus
                          ContributorMemberModerator

With all the different kind of hardware out there and the amount of bugs that hasn’t been squashed yet in the under-laying software there is bound to be a few odd cases even if PinUP isn’t “intrusive”.

MisterKai
                          Participant
                            @mrkai

With all the different kind of hardware out there and the amount of bugs that hasn’t been squashed yet in the under-laying software there is bound to be a few odd cases even if PinUP isn’t “intrusive”.

Eh :)

Out of apprx 500 available tables, we found like 5 that were a problem due to a pretty obscure issue, that over the last couple of weeks we’ve nailed down to one revision of one type of hardware DMD.

“Maybe” ;)

For the value-add, it’s an easy trade. Out of all the effected tables, I personally only play one of them. And again, the only thing “of note” that is being “replaced” (by putting the originals in a clearly named folder called ‘PupBackup’) is dmddevice.dll, and it adds its own B2S plugin in the plugins folder. It is easy enough to put back and effects nothing in normal play/tables that don’t have a Pinup Player folder..

I encourage you to give it a shot when it is released. If you are super paranoid, install it all in a dummy folder. Hell, lol, this is about the only pin thing that was *easy to install and undo* without needing admin access or a bunch of “nonsense”:)

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

I’m not paranoid. B-)   I don’t believe there is anything wrong with the software. I in fact feel that installers are great since so many obviously can’t follow simple directions. This is also why I urge many to use pr. example the one-in-all installer. I have issues however that it is not an option to install it manually. I know much better than any outsider what I’ve put together, and why, and I want to keep it that way.

I’m not talking about PinUP being a problem. Just look at 10.4 beta thread how many bugs hasn’t been squashed ? I expect new ones can have been introduced, but, not intentional and for the moment unknown. For every layer of software, the more likely it is that something will go wrong. It can be a whole slew of reasons why VP works for one person and not for the next. Often it is a user error, but, I know for a fact that I will need to upgrade my hardware on my editing computer to fix one bug completely. PinUp is relying on other software so, I expect there will be unsolvable issues reported by users once it is, and it doesn’t need to be related to PinUP’s code at all.

I’m not negative to PinUp at all. I think it is a great addon and I will be installing it ( I have it already on my editing computer, though, an older version ). I’m just waiting for it to be “released properly”.

MisterKai
                              Participant
                                @mrkai

This issue has been resolved.
                                The issue on my machine was due to having a single file present from a (very) older build of the capture matching tools and removal of that file cleared all the blockers.

(Slightly) more technical explanation: the software was trying to match a frame size that is no longer supported, leading to a very hard to pin down crash.

roar
                                Participant
                                  @roar

I understand your hesitation Thalamus… but I took the 100% opposite approach and just dove right and gave it a go :) Worst case scenario I need to troubleshoot some stuff… I suppose “worst” case scenario would be I just installed a trojan… but this is the VP family, we all get along… right… ;) I’ve installed VP so many times in the last 18 months it doesn’t take long at all anymore.

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

Someone is not actually reading my responses :) It is not the software, or fair of what it will do. I’m smart enough to fool the sucker. I refuse because of the way it is distributed ! B-)

TerryRed
                                      @terryred

Someone is not actually reading my responses :) It is not the software, or fair of what it will do. I’m smart enough to fool the sucker. I refuse because of the way it is distributed ! B-)

It’s not distributed yet for Public. It will get a version number when that happens.

There was a time when people didn’t like being forced to get their games online through this thing called Steam….. guess who lost that battle?  ;)

If you are fine with VPX AIO installer…not sure why this one has you so freaked out. If your setup is that sensitive…backup the entire VPinMAME folder just in case and run the installer. Or install the files on a different machine…then copy things over yourself and make the needed changes.

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus

:wacko:

roar
                                        Participant
                                          @roar

Fair enough… it’s not hesitation at all… my bad.:bye:

edit: to remove snippyness:)

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

Here’s a new PinUP Player demo video of the new PuPCapture feature being showed on a few tables. The first table demo is Thalamus’s Avatar table mod showing off xKane47 and NailBauster’s excellent Avatar PuP-Pack.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?