WIP: Big Trouble in Little China Original VPX + Pup Pack concept

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    The Loafer
    Participant
      @theloafer

Good god Tom, you have work ahead of you movie-watching wise lol

@mlager8
      : South Park is NOT for everyone and the spoof is about as far from Politically Correct as they could go. Personally I had to pause several times as I could not contain my laughter but what amazed me is the little attention to detail vs the “They Live” scene and what they accomplished.  I’m curious to hear your thoughts on it, though maybe for another thread as we’ve been polluting this one

@vpjachim
      : Sorry about that.  As Tom has mentioned you are getting some talented people offering to assist, that’s always a good sign!

JoostProost
      Participant
        @vpjachim

Hi All,

I am working on the logic of some of my mechanics for the table.

And I am struggling with a way to add a ball lock for this moment: Video movie

This is the mechanism I came up with: Video Mechanic 

It Kind of works IMO But it take up a lot of space. Does anybody know another mechanism (maybe some example table) that will have a smaller fit?

JoostProost
        Participant
          @vpjachim

Grab Mechanic

Hi All, I am struggling with a way to add a ball lock in my BTiLC project for this moment:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXsVG3dSnrw in the game.

This is the mechanism I came up with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSlJYO2Jmdk But it take up a lot of space.

Does anybody know another mechanism (maybe some example table) that will have a smaller (Less deep) fit ?

Mlager8
          Participant
            @mlager8

Theatre of magic comes to mind. There 2 mechanisms on that table though a little different than what you have devised.

First is the crate which when you hit three times turns around revealing a hole you sink into (also has a magnet feature on the third side).

The second feature on this table is the trap door, it opens in the floor of the playfield. The trapdoor is maybe a little too simple but since this is a virtual table and not needing to function in the real world maybe you could add a feature to the trap door like those banks where you set a coin down and a little mechanical hand pops out and takes it. https://youtu.be/AZEn_jrnvlI

JoostProost
            Participant
              @vpjachim

Ha @Mlager8, That’s great! I totaly forgot about the “useless box”-hand. The hand idea on my table started off as a 3d model as well, but I am worried the table is gonna be to polygon-heavy. So I was exploring solutions with textures on transparant film …. or things like that. I will check out the Theatre of Magic machanics, thx for the tip! The simplest alternative would be a big drop target (as a the wall with the eyes) with a kickerhole behind it … perhaps.

Mlager8
              Participant
                @mlager8

There are definitely much more simple solutions like a drop target, but I cant help but feel that “over the top” is sort of the theme of BTILC… It is your baby though.

Wouldn’t worry too much about being poly heavy if you plan on optimizing like you said earlier. On a table I was working on that was pretty poly heavy I was very surprised how much I could get away with, with no discernable performance hit. I think most hardware people use for their cabs is more than capable on handling the models. The bigger concern will be the pup pack and good video compression. Most slow downs and table stutters seem to due to that more than anything.

Oh and btw I was hoping you”d incorporate the mystical ape thing somehow so I was happy to see the hand.

BazzaLB
                Participant
                  @bazzalb

Ha @Mlager8, That’s great! I totaly forgot about the “useless box”-hand. The hand idea on my table started off as a 3d model as well, but I am worried the table is gonna be to polygon-heavy. So I was exploring solutions with textures on transparant film …. or things like that. I will check out the Theatre of Magic machanics, thx for the tip! The simplest alternative would be a big drop target (as a the wall with the eyes) with a kickerhole behind it … perhaps.

I hope you can go with a 3D model where possible rather than decals as this becomes really noticeable in VR. The Corvette table looks very odd with its 2D Decal as the motor rather than a 3D model. Obviously I am just a selfish VR player ;)

fredo67
                  Participant
                    @fredo67

Hello @vpjachim

what a good idea and initiative !

I’m french and a big fan of Big Trouble in Little China movie :)
                    This movie is absolutely cult, the atmosphere and the look will be a perfect match with a pinball game !

I will follow your post from close ;)
                    Maybe you could think about using the alternative end movie as an achievement in the game.

The Loafer
                    Participant
                      @theloafer

I love reading every post in this thread, we can see so many of us are passionate BTILC fans

i used to work in the video vhs rental business.  One of my perks I still got: a little Chinese food box with a real fortune cookie inside with the box art and title of Big trouble in little China on the box.  I miss those perks lol

JoostProost
                      Participant
                        @vpjachim

@Fredo67 Thx for your post. Alternative ending? I don’t know of any… Will look it up right away.

JoostProost
                        Participant
                          @vpjachim

HUD

Small update: I have been working on the rules and trying to fit everything into the table. What a hassle. Getting stuck all the time and rearranging it constantly. And worst of all … the self doubt. Is this fun enough? …. or … maybe not? …  end so on.  Looking allot at other tables, tutorials and rulesets. But it’s a lot to consume. So in the mean while going over the Pup-pack HUD and it’s coming al long.Here is a rough first version. Tying to fit the full videoframe and still reserve space for call-outs, small video’s and other graphical stuff.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          BazzaLB
                          Participant
                            @bazzalb

HUD

Small update: I have been working on the rules and trying to fit everything into the table. What a hassle. Getting stuck all the time and rearranging it constantly. And worst of all … the self doubt. Is this fun enough? …. or … maybe not? … end so on. Looking allot at other tables, tutorials and rulesets. But it’s a lot to consume. So in the mean while going over the Pup-pack HUD and it’s coming al long.Here is a rough first version. Tying to fit the full videoframe and still reserve space for call-outs, small video’s and other graphical stuff.

This looks good to me. I am sure you know this is all part of the creative process. Sometimes you just need a break.

Mr_H
                            Participant
                              @jhopwood

Great project man. Hang in there and dont burn yourself out. And make sure you shout out for help at any chance. Lots of help in this community. I’m loving watching the progress. Think sometimes I like the making of’s more than playing!

JoostProost
                              Participant
                                @vpjachim

Update: I figured out some of the table mechanics/toys for the ball locks and the final mode with pup pack movie scenes.

Sword lift Ball Lock: https://youtu.be/Z1kVdiVPqHw
                                Moster grab Ball Lock: https://youtu.be/7IH5TST0U3c
                                Lo Pan Final Mode: https://youtu.be/NI8SI3l1xXM

Lockballs_3d

BazzaLB
                                Participant
                                  @bazzalb

Update: I figured out some of the table mechanics/toys for the ball locks and the final mode with pup pack movie scenes.

Sword lift Ball Lock: https://youtu.be/Z1kVdiVPqHw

Moster grab Ball Lock: https://youtu.be/7IH5TST0U3c

Lo Pan Final Mode: https://youtu.be/NI8SI3l1xXM

Lockballs_3d

Ha ha, brilliant! Love it so far.

drady
                                  Participant
                                    @dradyoz

Following this work of art. Is there an English table available that this pak will attach to?

jas722
                                    Participant
                                      @jas722

I found this looking for a BTILC table and hope you are still working on it. Some great ideas in here and looks like it would be a fun table.

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?