Currently, there are 0 users and 0 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    arconovum
    Participant
    @nicholaschristopher
    MemberContributor

So I got my Quest the other day, got it all setup with link and all.

I’ve almost finished this FSS / VPVR only table, it has been a real pain to do. but I will be getting it to work in both FSS and VPVR. Currently working on the sound bit. <– get it? sound bit.. he he he….

Doesn’t look to different than previous posts , but its mostly scripting now.

Deluxe World Series Clipboard-2

Thalamus
    @thalamus
    ContributorMemberModerator

Looks great !

Tom
    Participant
    @armyaviation
    MemberContributor

Is this available for non VR

arconovum
    Participant
    @nicholaschristopher
    MemberContributor

Is this available for non VR

as FSS only.

The Loafer
    Participant
    @theloafer

Holy cow, you got a quest?  That’s happy days for us all.

What do you think of it so far?

arconovum
    Participant
    @nicholaschristopher
    MemberContributor

Holy cow, you got a quest? That’s happy days for us all.

What do you think of it so far?

Well I bought it because it has the best of both worlds , the features of Go wireless, and Rift S tether, but the quest link cable issues are a major pain, I know its beta, but still a pain. The required connection to a phone when you don’t plan to use it that way is also a nuisance .   I’m also surprised that the SDE is still soooo obvious. This you will find funny, but the space to accommodate the nose is huge! , I mean I don’t exactly have a small schnoz and I can place my finger in the space all around my nose, so quite a bit of light gets in.. I guess pigs do VR too now.

Someone said I should buy the Samsung Odyssey+ , but I have lost trust in Samsung, I find they are quitters . I purchased a camera from them and they have literally walked away from the camera manufacturing, leaving many , many people like me stuck with useless lenses. And now they also closed  their front end XR service for the gear VR, and removing all applications. They basically have this jump in all fours, and jump out whenever it’s not to their advantage. Basically Samsung is another Yamaha, and you don’t see them around to much anymore.

The Loafer
    Participant
    @theloafer

Samsung: Sorry to hear that, truly sucks when a company provides so little support and a micro long term vision to their product

Quest:  I love mine, but more for side projects. So far, both my pincab PC and VRPC are a little temperamental when it comes to “Link” support, I think my enemy is the poor USB support (they are not all created equal). The frustrating thing with the VRPC is that I had installed a 3rd party USB-C card and it’s still glitchy, though I haven’t tried it with the newer Quest update, so will need to do that.  I booted the quest for one thing the other day: installing the new quest doom, where you can play the original Doom with 3D weapons, full 6DOF, etc.   The mod support is fantastic, very easy to download and apply via the launcher.  Its amazing and so is the similar half life quest port (also full weapons tracking and 6DOF).  Same developer, Dr Beef, fantastic!

As for the SDE, yeah, it’s visible. This is where the Rift S shines over the quest. Maybe the dark’s aren’t so dark but the sub pixels effectively minimize the SDE.  There are other limitations to the Rift S (lack of an IPD slider because of it’s single panel is sooo stupid and limiting) but the clarity is incredible.  I don’t have any USB frustrations with the Rift S but I also have a valve Index so right now that’s my primary VR device.  Still, the Quest is a fantastic VR headset and sideloaded games like “Tea for Gods” is proof positive wireless is the way to go.  BTW I don’t know about pinball but a lot of people say the quest experience via “Virtual Desktop” app (with it’s sideloaded companion app) and its ability to stream any PCVR games is a better experience for them than using Oculus Link cable.  I’ve messed with Virtual Desktop and it was sometimes really good, sometimes not so good but it was also a while back.  I understand Virtual Desktop also provides better performance if you are using a dedicated 5GHZ router so that you stream directly from your PC right to the headset so something for you to experiment with if you have a spare 5GHZ router or your main PC has 5G wifi capabilities

1 user thanked author for this post.
    arconovum
    Participant
    @nicholaschristopher
    MemberContributor

Thanks for all the info.. as for link its only beta, so I’m certain they will improve it, just worried they (oculus) may intentionally throttle it back as to not kill off Rift S sales.

That must look really neat original half life in VR..  I will be trying the 5G (oddly enough I just updated my router firmware this AM) , and I do have the Virtual Desktop app loaded , and have always used it even back when I used my DK2 , I even have my DK1 .. haha funny looking thing.

Again thanks for the input Loafer, but are you really THE loafer? like really!

The Loafer
    Participant
    @theloafer

I’ve been the Loafer since the Apple II BBS days, the one and only LOL

Rift S is actually playing second fiddle to the quest from Oculus pov. All benefits in tracking in the past year were born from dev work on the quest first and finger tracking still isn’t even confirmed as coming to the Rift S (last I heard anyway).

5G router:  I may have done a poor job of explaining it but for the user to maximize the benefit with virtual desktop, you need to connect like a spare 5G router directly to your VR PC so that there is more or less a direct line of use between the PC and the Quest.

The Loafer
    Participant
    @theloafer

I forgot this was posted by user Toby Broyad on facebook, seems to be directed more to the Rift S but perhaps it’s also useful for the Quest.

edit: also don’t forget for the Virtual Desktop to work with the Quest, you need to download the sideloaded version of it (both it and the oculus store version need to be installed).  You can get everything sideloaded related via: https://sidequestvr.com/

Attachments:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 VPinBall.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

The Vpinball app

FREE
VIEW