Working on site part deux

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

Setup caching for non logged in users(guests) today and should help logged in users by not using so much server resources for guests.

Also setup a CDN so this should help improve site for everyone worldwide. DNS changes will not be active for a day or two so lets see how this helps by Friday i would guess.

This is a PAID CDN not some free crap plan.

These things i have tried in the past but removed them long time ago. I always wanted to drive site straight from server with no cache or CDN which also makes site maintenance much much easier but i feel i need to improve sites performance and if this does improve it i will deal with the pain when applying updates.

As always let me know if you see anything messed up in the next 24-72 hours by replying to this thread.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

2 users thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Thinking about changing style of site and perhaps make it better….or worse! Would you guys be up for that?

Would be some major changes but could always revert back.

This would be mostly done live so you would see VERY strange crap for a few hours or days. I think with some style changes i can improve performance a bit so might be worth trying? You guys let me know if you want to deal with that for a few hours/days until i get all style bugs worked out “live”.

for IOS and Android

robertms
        Participant
          @mophead

I say go for it! So far you’ve created only the best site for vpinball enthusiasts, keep pushing the envelope! You’ve demonstrated to us over and over your continued drive pushing your skills to new limits, you haven’t steered us wrong yet, and you’re really good at seeing your projects through (well sort of, did Three Angels ever come out of beta? The ICB project finished yet? :whistle: ). Personally I trust your judgement and impeccable computing and technical skills :wacko: Change is good = progress :good:

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Had a spam user get through (mariangeorge) and this user sent out a few PM’s with the typical spam BS so if you got the PM just delete it. I have removed the spam user but could be others that got in some how so keep an eye out for it. Sorry about that guys but this can happen as you know.

for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
            randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Updated security today to help combat spam(only one got through in months!)

Also removed TONS of old code from years ago so you might see slight style changes here and there on site.

I did change “smiles” you need to click the one smile to “pop up” the selection now.

for IOS and Android

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

<p>Thanks for this site, man. Really a gift to many.</p>

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Thanks @bord messing with editor currently and i can see i messed up on the <p> </p> fixing that.

Hope cleaning out all the years of old code will help that chrome bug a bit…I think i fixed it but still need people to test it

for IOS and Android

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

I also reverted quote back to html rather then my new BBCode. Someone asked for the fix maybe @outhere asked? anyways it should be the old way now when you quote someone you can now edit the bit you want instead of the whole dang thing

for IOS and Android

Badazzwi
                    Participant
                      @badazzwi

Thank you for all you do behind the scenes to keep this place going randr.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

JR
                      Participant
                        @jfr1

Ditto what bord said.  I would add how this site has a much more interactive community than others.  Thanks for your work randr.

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

Playing with forum style this weekend so expect some strange looking layouts over the next few days until i get it all sorted.

So far i have added @ mention tag to each users name in forum for quick reference to mention them. Some users signed up and picked a nickname different then their username. so now just look at their info on left in forums for their mention tag  

Removed mention under avatar until i can get it centered for every user.

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

Yep, I did the nickname/username mix-up when signing up.  But, never really thought I’d become active here so didn’t think it’d be an issue until..I did become active.  And Thalamus yelled at me :)  It really is amazing the community you have attracted to this site randr.  Thanks again for creating this ‘corner pub’ for us to gather at.

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Yep, I did the nickname/username mix-up when signing up. But, never really thought I’d become active here so didn’t think it’d be an issue until..I did become active. And Thalamus yelled at me :) It really is amazing the community you have attracted to this site randr. Thanks again for creating this ‘corner pub’ for us to gather at.

I “can” fix that but a have to manually edit database per user. i will work on getting it under your post avatar in forum but want it to look better and not off centered

for IOS and Android

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

Well it turns out the CDN limits uploads to 200mb chunks for business plan and even if i upgraded to enterprise its still limited to 500mb chucks so today i bypassed the cdn and will try to get a refund! no way am i paying anymore for cdn then i was on business plan and even if i did they still limit or charge if you need even more. So sorry about that but its just not worth it.

I still have cache enabled for guest and plan on doing a large upgrade to forums that should speed things up anyways(bbpress 2.6) should be a great speed boost but as always could break things! but have been running it on dev site for 8 months with no issues.

special shout out to @zimbakin for testing the upload issue but like i said turned out to be CDN limitations but even with CDN off now large uploads still may need to be uploaded manually but at least some will work now like before and very few will need manual upload.

Thanks and if you see “site under maintenance” that means i am attempting the forums upgrade so dont worry to much even though i dont think going back is easy with all the database conversions… we will see… hope i dont need to worry about going back

for IOS and Android

4 users thanked author for this post.
                                TerryRed
                                  @terryred
                                  MemberContributorModerator

The site and forum is a gift… so anything you can provide is always welcome and appreciated.

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

Had report today that backround of site is black! I did not change this and is white here can anyone let me know what they see please. screenshot?

for IOS and Android

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus
                                      ContributorMemberModerator

Earlier today when I was at work – all of a sudden the default changed to dark, I checked the day/night settings on the bottom of the page and both gave me “dark”.

I then went home and was a bit surprised to see that it was back to normal. Seeing this message I did a screenshot and a cntr+F5 that should refresh browser cache. All I see of change is the page indicator that is now “black-ish”. This is pre cntr+F5 – the page indicator is not in that screenshot though. Didn’t expect it to be the only thing that changed. Replying to this message though. Also the “Submit” button is “black” Screenshot from 2019-11-14 22-49-38

pre_F5

rothbauerw
                                        @rothbauerw
                                        ModeratorContributorMembervip

Have it on one computer but not the other.

20191114_164922

20191114_164934

20191114_164941

20191114_165004

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

bord
                                          @bord
                                          MembervipContributorModerator

Yes, black for me for the last day (Firefox) w/ night mode off but looks almost normal in Chrome.

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Has to be a cache bug. No idea how or why. Clearing cache for site should clear it up but is fine here.

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 469 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?