WoZ WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    ckpin
    Participant
      @ckpin

This table and backglass are playable (on my desktop and cab) using VPX 10.5.  Some of the reasons why it’s a WIP include:

• The backglass file size is at its max and there is still more gameplay to add (e.g. SOTR end game).  The whole backglass approach may also need restructuring. (EDIT  20181025 – Need to use the 4G patch on backglass server)
      • An object model of the witch’s legs for under the house is needed; scripting it in is not a problem.
      • The current object model for the witch could use improvement (or replacement).
      • EDIT 20181025 – DOF Configtool entry added – Thanks randr & arngrim
      • The desktop mode has not been tested or seriously implemented.

Any questions are welcome and help (suggestions, collaboration, testing) is appreciated.  You may also take it in a completely different direction; please share the reuslts.

Fortunately for me the person who this was done for (TerryRed isn’t the only one making tables for the wife) has already been sufficiently pleased.

EDIT: UPDATED LINK (2018 OCT 25) – No PUPpack version

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wJG9KU7E3s0d1_nKJsuhNEZF3_DwDrWg

EDIT: ADDED LINK (2018 OCT 25) – PUPpack and PUPpack version

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zAxxAaY94jCGqvLZACJcedzAja5KpAyj

Since (like me) people may not have the time to read the table script prolog, it is important that the following be explicitly acknowledged ….

Thanks to the people who develop and are developing VPX, the B2S backglass designer, VPinMAME and the
      many tables, backglasses and other support works (e.g. DOF , PinballX, Forums) that are the source of much
      enjoyment.   And specifically thanks to…
      JPSalas – most of this table design as well as a large portion of the code and playfield items
      came from his tables (Slimer & Diablo).  He is clearly a prolific, master.
      Wildman’s many backglass examples and shared implementation instructions in the forums that inspired this version.
      mfuegemann & STAT – the backglass innovations (e.g. diablo, moon light) demonstrate by example how much of what has   been implemented was done.
      The Walking Dead’s wellzombie primitive arms were used in the bumper tree primitives and the the environment emission image came from Hot Tip table – 12/2017

EDIT  (20181004): Sliderpoint – Provided high resolution playfield images and blueprints

EDIT  (20181025):  EmBee – Provided better resolution images of State Fair bumper decal, plunger plate and castle doors

Picture of table & backglass during play …

Attachments:
      Total of 26 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Damn it. Seeing this and needing to go to work. Looking forward to come home an see what you’ve come up with ! B-)

STAT
        Participant
          @stefanaustria
          MemberContributor

Wow what’s going on here – thanks Guys :good:  … for sure, i will test it tonight :yahoo:

If you Need help with BG, i could help out here :yes:

Jodannar
          Participant
            @jodannar

Gave it a quick spin. Plays alright, nice rule approximation I can see so far. I couldn’t get the backless to display for some reason, had the apron ultra DMD section working. Great work. will test and play properly when I have more time

ckpin
            Participant
              @ckpin

jodannar:

Thanks for the interest and testing.

The backglass is very large and takes a while to load and if it is too big for your machine it will not load.  The size was reduced already so it would load on my desktop (W7-i7, 16GB, GTX  660, 3-monitors).  Using the 4GB patch on the backglass server would also allow for a larger sized backglass.  Unfortunately I have no clue what is governing the size and how to make it reliably load for all machines.   Hopefully someone can lend some practical insight.

ckpin
              Participant
                @ckpin

STAT:

Saw your reply after the reply below yours.  Since it was your work with diablo that inspired this backglass managerie all help with defining the paramters governing its size would probably help others the most.  There is actually more I would like to add as well.  In the zip file is a “csv” file listing all the elements (450+) and their respective layers.   This table really needs a functioning backglass to completely enjoy the game and see your progress.

BTW … thanks for all your contributions and although rather esoteric your recent play room additions look interesting .. do they function?

NailBuster
                  @nailbuster
                  ModeratorMember

very cool… any interest in using PinUP Player for the dmd and/or backglass?  I could provide docs/support if you want to go that route.

ckpin
                  Participant
                    @ckpin

Thalmus:

Given how meticulous your testing has been, looking forward to what you find.  There is an option in the table script (explained in comments) that offers an attempt at doing automated testing.  It’s primitive, but has helped me considerably. Any ideas you have on how to extend or make this better could be very helpful.  Thanks.

ckpin
                    Participant
                      @ckpin

Nailbuster:

Although in a lurking mode, I have been playing with PinUP player.  Looks like really good stuff. Unfortunately it has not been successfully installed on my system yet (still going through posts and documentation); however, the connections possible (as demonstrated by TerryRed and Tron) between gameplay and backglass seem like a wonderful fit for this game.  This is another reason it has been posted as a WIP. It was started and mostly developed before the PinUP player was available.  Thanks for the suggestion; it is an avenue that needs investigation.

senseless
                      Participant
                        @senseless

What a nice surprise and definitely a great opportunity to use pinup for the backglass animation. Would be awesome if we could get are hands on the original video files of the table.

STAT
                        Participant
                          @stefanaustria
                          MemberContributor

Looks very nice, great with the Glass Effects, Lights and all … i played the real one just once, last Year,
                          but already the WIP Plays very well … :good:
                          Have no Troubles to load the BG, and i haven’t the best Machine …

Don’t understand your Question About my “Playroom” exactly – but all what you can see, it works well, yes :yes:

The Loafer
                          Participant
                            @theloafer

Very nice release. Although some assets could use a better textures, I’m marvelled at how much is in this build, how many features are included and the playability is really good!!   I was about to post I got 10 balls but saw the test mode was set to true which provides 10 balls… turned it off and it works fine, stops at 5 balls.  I see from your original posted you uploaded a version with testmode off but I just downloaded this about an hour ago and it still set to “on” .  As far as the gameplay, really plays well as stated however I did get some slow downs more and more as the game played.  I am playing in 4K but I do have an i7 and an nvidia 980 so it has been perfect so far.  Still considering the amount of code here, I’m not surprised if some issues like this come up.  It still stayed playable and really at this stage, NOT COMPLAINING!

The backglass is also not starting up for me. I do get a black screen on the backglass monitor and can see in the taskbar, a task opens up during the blackscreen but it disappears along with the backscreen.

but… there is a solution as you pointed out in your script and above, using the 4GB patch on the b2sserver exe and the backglass now works fine.  Does anyone know if there are any ill effects from using this patch?  edit: always backup your exe pre-patch!  I’ve included the patch if you folks want to use it, please scan with antivirus just in case

Attachments:
                            3 users thanked author for this post.
                            CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

I’ve used patched B2S server for years. It causes no problems.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                              The Loafer
                              Participant
                                @theloafer

Thanks @CarnyPriest:  Side question:  There is no advantage in using it on vpinball.exe anymore right?

CarnyPriest
                                Participant
                                  @carnypriest

Thanks @carnypriest: Side question: There is no advantage in using it on vpinball.exe anymore right?

That question, I don’t know. I never thought about trying it on VPX. Nothing equivalent on tables to those massive bassgeige b2s, I guess.

Jon Osborne
                                  Participant
                                    @jonosborne

Thanks so much for this update!

The Loafer
                                    Participant
                                      @theloafer

Thanks @carnypriest: Side question: There is no advantage in using it on vpinball.exe anymore right?

That question, I don’t know. I never thought about trying it on VPX. Nothing equivalent on tables to those massive bassgeige b2s, I guess.

The 4GB patch was brought into our hobby I think for the VP executable (VP9 I think).  it did help a few tables but I thought I’d heard that wasn’t needed anymore (around when physmod was developed). I’ll research this a bit.

Sliderpoint
                                      Participant
                                        @sliderpoint
                                        MemberContributor

woah! Very ambitious project.  Took a quick spin.  I see some common physics issues (ball crawl around rubbers and what not) but generally ok.  Looks like you got a lot of work done and still quite a bit to go.  Keep up the good work!

-Mike

ckpin
                                        Participant
                                          @ckpin

The Loafer:

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes the textures need work along with the witch model; calling myself a blender noob would be gracious.  Without access to an actual machine  everything has been done from what is available on the internet.  This is definitely an area where some collaboration or guidance would help.

Sliderpoint:

There are physics issues (also around the flipper area) … again guidance, tips or references to other posts on how to fix it would be appreciated.

All:

Currently the limitations of the backglass and how to get around them prevent extending the game to handle “Somewhere over the Rainbow.” Even if it is reasonable to require the use of the 4G patch, it is getting very difficult to manage what is going on in the backglass.  As senseless mentions it would have been better to use movie clips rather than derive animations from them (e.g. “I’m melting”) for the backglass. This is a “working” prototype  of what may be possible and it looks like at least some of the newer games will have even more complex rule sets (e.g. POC).   Consequently, it’s not clear (to me) how  best to proceed.

UPDATE:  Based on the feedback from STAT,  DJRobX, senseless & NailBuster, it’s time to seriously pursue PinUP player.

DJRobX
                                            @djrobx
                                            MemberModerator

Does anyone know if there are any ill effects from using this patch?

Nah.  It just sets a flag that indicates the program can safely use all 4gb of memory.    If not coded with large addresses in mind, there is some memory pointer arithmetic functions that can break, most commonly done by C/C++ programs.  So by default applications are not set to be 4GB “aware”.

B2S server is entirely .NET code, it’s fine.   VPX is built with this flag already set, which is why trying to patch it has no effect.

As senseless mentions it would have been better to use movie clips rather than derive animations from them (e.g. “I’m melting”) for the backglass.

That is exactly what PinUp player is good at.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 109 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?