WPC.vbs Error

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GarageMakerGuy
    Participant
      @garagemakerguy

Sorry if this has already been posted (I did search the forums first):

Everything worked fine yesterday (20201001)

Trojan:VBS/Mountsi.A!ml being detected by Defender:

DefnderWPCissue

Symptom:

The following is displayed whenever a VPX table is launched that calls WPC.vbs:

Error00WPCissue

Example:

VPX: 10.6.0.0

Occurs after launching The Getaway (High Speed 2) from VPX or PinUp

The amazing PupPack from Ken Swift is installed and worked great yesterday. Such an awesome PupPack.

The Virtual Pinball directory is excluded from Windows Defender.

Other tables that do not call WPC.vbs work fine

After acknowledging the WPC.vbs error the following is displayed:

Error01WPCissue

Then this one:

Error02WPCissue

Then exits back to the VPX editor.

Tables that do not use WPC.vbs seem to be fine.

It’s weird that WPC.vbs is being flagged now (it’s been around for awhile 20190122)

Seems like another a false positive.

GarageMakerGuy
      Participant
        @garagemakerguy

Ugh…I did not intend to post this in the VPVR section.

apayne82
        Participant
          @apayne82

Hello, I have the exact same defect!  Installed the new Getaway PUP pack today, and now getting this error.  Very interested in what you determine to be the fix.

GarageMakerGuy
          Participant
            @garagemakerguy

I am fairly confident that this is a false positive but this is at your own risk:

1.) Go to Windows Settings:

WPC Error fix 01

2.) Select “Update and Security”:

WPC Error fix 02

3.) Select “Windows Security” from the left navigation pane:

WPC Error fix 03

4.) Select “Virus & threat protection”:

WPC Error fix 04

5.) Select “Protection History” and view the details of the entry that yields the following:

WPC Error fix

6.) The workaround for this (aka fix) is to click the “Actions” dropdown menu and select “Allow threat”

apayne82
            Participant
              @apayne82

Worked like a charm.  Thanks for the assistance!

1 user thanked author for this post.
              Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Right. Trust your automatic program or the community ? When did wpc.vbs change last ? Use common sense guys. Anti virus is a fucking program trying to analyse what is going on. Are you smarter than your anti-virus ? I surely hope you are, or your fucked anyway. To become infected by viruses, you have to run something you don’t trust at some point. I admit, that can happen to the best of us. But, well, don’t be dulled into trusting programs becoming smart any time soon. It is after all created by humans anyway.

VP and anti virus programs will most probably be in a fight forever. The way that VP works, using vbs files, known by any anti virus developer as being a back door into the system doesn’t really help. VP is using vbs in ways that most program ain’t, so, of course. If the anti virus developer isn’t part of the vp community. I can see how this easily will look suspicious.

I don’t run anti virus program on my PC’s. And I do get upset when guys that I do trust, is sending me code that I can’t look at before running. ( installers )

I do understand why those are made though. Sometimes the install process can be bitch. Like, before vp install in one. If toxie or anyone that I trust, get’s infected, and are actually distributing a virus unwillingly. Well, I’ve got my backups and a re-install is the only way I will trust my PC again.

My hearse closing line is. If you need to run anti-virus on your PC, well, you are not computer illiterate enough and should stay the hell away from VP in the first place.

( I needed to get that our of the system seeing reports quite often )

snwfrd38
                Participant
                  @ffarges

same here! Was starting to check everything and reinstall everything….

Thanks for the tip!

TerryRed
                    @terryred
                    MemberContributorModerator

Yes, sadly this is at the point where we need to say you MUST disable anti-virus when running anything virtual pinball related…especially Defender.

It certainly makes creating anything pup / VPX / PinEvent related a real pain in the ass to support when it comes to players who aren’t PC savvy. I could just say “hey, I only makes tables…. I don’t do support”, but I take too much damn pride in what I create.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?