This topic contains 80 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  bartzenegger 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Author
     CarnyPriest 
    Participant

I don’t claim license or copyright to SAMBuild as it is virtually identical to the official source. It should simply be considered a derivative work using the same license as PinMAME and any rights revert to PinMAMEdev. The SAMBuild source code is always publicly available as is PinMAME. As such, inclusion of SAMBuild in any commercial product requires express written permission from PinMAMEdev as required by the existing license. I do not endorse selling the binary. I think it would be a very stupid thing if he were also selling the binary along with roms/game code that are IP of owners with serious commercial interests and the lawyers to protect them. It’s fine by me if he is hosting the binary and it is available to the public for free in the same single package in which I distribute binaries. In other words, I won’t and can’t say anything if someone wants to upload SAMBuild here at VPinball. It won’t be me as it is simply easier for me to update one site rather than many, and VPU has been a good home all these years. That said, if you want the very latest beta builds, they will be at VPU first.

Probably less of an excuse for selling PinballX or PuP. Those are not open source projects.

Thought this whole thing was selling tutorials, cabinet plans, paid support, etc. Didn’t know that they were selling software that they have no right to sell.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  CarnyPriest.
     TerryRed 
    MemberContributorModerator

Going back to the days of prompts before each game… or god help us… the days of having “expired” versions of each program won’t help. The people who don’t care will find way around it.

Putting energy into promoting the web sites, and showing people the “right” way of doing things with guides and tutorials helps a lot. Those that don’t care won’t ever bother with the community and will always be doing shady crap.

LynnInDenver 
    Participant

Yeah, I worked with randr to make sure my Pup PostDMD mod shouldn’t break MOTU or Jaws if PuP isn’t present on whatever computer. It’s just easier, and really isn’t that big a deal when it comes to “nice upgrade, here’s what I’d like” requirements.

Again, I don’t mind having a page out there that links to the various related downloads (another one of those “VP Culture” things, why are recreations the only tables that don’t come with a backglass included? I can understand the ROMs.) It’s the “pay to download a whole package from here” and hosting other people’s content without their say that gets to me.

Back to the culture thing… he’s got to know it’s different, being a member at VPF. Surely he’s seen how things can turn once you start holding open the wallet, asking to be paid for someone else’s work in this community. Hopefully Paul will (virtually) take him aside and give him some explanation that he’s crossed a line, and advice to pull it back before his reputation begins to suffer.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
    Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
    Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

@lynnindenver yeah I don’t care about the links it’s the paying “membership” that gets you a bundled download. Let’s be honest the guy is an asshole it’s just that simple. Sorry I call it as I see it.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?

TerryRed 

@lynnindenver yeah I don’t care about the links it’s the paying “membership” that gets you a bundled download. Let’s be honest the guy is an asshole it’s just that simple. Sorry I call it as I see it.

What’s your opinion of me doing a video about this site and others to “promote” the vp community, and how to do the right thing, no paying for stuff, etc?

LynnInDenver 
    Participant

@randr Yeah, my usual response to those types ultimately is, “you know what, what you’re offering to the community doesn’t have value to me now.” Generally speaking, I stop looking at their contributions, even if they might have nuggets of value, because it gives them attention they’ve shown is unearned at best, earned in bad faith at worst. There was someone writing articles for scale modelers that was like that; he consistently offered opinions of the nature that you could only truly call yourself a scale model maker if you “scratchbuilt” the majority (like 75%+) of your models, otherwise he considered you just a kit assembler, and justified it by having been doing it professionally (I notice he stopped writing articles at around the time he started working for a model kit company, probably a combination of driving people off the sites he contributed to and PR requirements of his new job that either banned presenting that attitude or just writing articles because of that attitude). I’ve gotten to a similar point here with some people; if they’re doing something like offering mods with the credits scoured off, or selling other people’s work, then it doesn’t matter much WHAT they’re otherwise contributing, I’m not going to taint my own space with anything they offer. So yeah, MajorFrenchy’s tutorials are suddenly of significantly less value to me, and I don’t plan on downloading Bigus1-modded tables, nor do I consider buying most anyone’s cabinet kits.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

randr 
    Keymaster
    ModeratorMember

You can do whatever you want but I think even newbies know it’s all free already but people are also stupid and will pay thinking they are somehow getting something new and will soon realize the guy is stealing peoples content.

My wife knows more then this Mameinabox guy! Jeezus can people really be that stupid?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?

LynnInDenver 
    Participant

Unfortunately, if you have to ask, the answer is yes, very much so. :-(

rothbauerw 
    Participant
    ContributorMembervip

@terryred

I don’t see anything wrong with any of your videos or doing videos promoting the various VP sites.  I think they are a great contribution to the community.

I also don’t see anything wrong with Major Frenchy having an ad supported YouTube channel.  If he’s entertaining enough for people to watch and they are willing to tolerate the ads, more power to him.

Selling memberships to get all-in-one downloads has long been known to be a no-no in this community.  He claims he’s not selling the tables, artwork, software, or roms, but that he’s providing a service to make it easier for people to find all the associated files.  Maybe he is.  It doesn’t make it right.  But it does highlight there is a need make it easier to get and install the content.  I really think if we can solve this issue, we’d eliminate the largest source for these issues.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

TerryRed 

@terryred

I don’t see anything wrong with any of your videos or doing videos promoting the various VP sites.  I think they are a great contribution to the community.

I also don’t see anything wrong with Major Frenchy having an ad supported YouTube channel.  If he’s entertaining enough for people to watch and they are willing to tolerate the ads, more power to him.

Selling memberships to get all-in-one downloads has long been known to be a no-no in this community.  He claims he’s not selling the tables, artwork, software, or roms, but that he’s providing a service to make it easier for people to find all the associated files.  Maybe he is.  It doesn’t make it right.  But it does highlight there is a need make it easier to get and install the content.  I really think if we can solve this issue, we’d eliminate the largest source for these issues.

Youtube puts ads on my channel, and I dont make any money from it…it gets forced on them from any music thats in the videos,etc.

Yah, he isn’t getting the point that having the actual FILES collected there on his site is a no-no. Did he even ask as a courtesy to the vp devs, pinmame devs, table authors…anyone?

He can can paint it any way he wants… but if he’s asking for money to access a “collection of files” for his members…then that IS charging for files. The links all in one place is fine and nice… but charging for “access” to someone elses FREE work that he nevers asked permission to host is wrong.

I get that sites cost money….but then ask people to upload their stuff and then you can claim to have a right to host it. Put up ads or whatever else you need to do.

Otherwise….he isn’t providing anything on that site that justifies the cost to his “members”.

If he wants to create all of “his” own media to host and share, and charge for that…by all means do that…. but not anything made by anyone else that you can get for free elsewhere.

rothbauerw 
    Participant
    ContributorMembervip

@terryred

Youtube puts ads on my channel, and I dont make any money from it…it gets forced on them from any music thats in the videos,etc.

Yah, he isn’t getting the point that having the actual FILES collected there on his site is a no-no. Did he even ask as a courtesy to the vp devs, pinmame devs, table authors…anyone?

He can can paint it any way he wants… but if he’s asking for money to access a “collection of files” for his members…then that IS charging for files. The links all in one place is fine and nice… but charging for “access” to someone elses FREE work that he nevers asked permission to host is wrong.

I get that sites cost money….but then ask people to upload their stuff and then you can claim to have a right to host it. Put up ads or whatever else you need to do.

Otherwise….he isn’t providing anything on that site that justifies the cost to his “members”.

If he wants to create all of “his” own media to host and share, and charge for that…by all means do that…. but not anything made by anyone else that you can get for free elsewhere.

Ads or not, I still think it’s ok.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

TerryRed 

@terryred

Ads or not, I still think it’s ok.

I don’t have much issue with YT ads myself either if you provide valuable content….   but not everyone realises that you don’t get to choose if you get ads on your videos in the case of copyright media included, etc..

When I do a demo of a new PuP-Pack with an OST option….hah i get A LOT of notices from YT. I guess I’m making someone else some money… probably not with the views I get. :)

LynnInDenver 
    Participant

Yeah, when my husband and I were actively making YouTube content as TG256, we had discussions about the music thing when we covered one of the pachinko machines we have, since it’s what’s referred to as a “modern”, which means lots of music – albeit one set of tunes, principally variants of the theme for Space Battleship Yamato. We took some efforts to minimize the audio in the episode as a result.

naeromagus 
    Participant

@terryred  you provide a great service to the community here, and also on the other sites. I’m also in some of the same groups as you on fb. And on a daily basis you are answering people’s questions without asking for any sort of revenue. And if asked about tables, files and the such i always see you direct to the proper sites .. so in no way are you even in the same league as Mameinabox. Your a Very Valued contributor in my book and many others .  :good:

Tom 
    Participant

Stupid question, has anyone contacted him to ask him what exactly he is doing and letting him know if he is doing something wrong.  I remember using this guys tutorial on how to setup the 5 Rgb flashers in my cab, I think it was him.  At least he is trying to contribute.  Wouldn’t lump him into the same category as the others until you contact him and he blows you off.

I think there needs to be a LIST on this site if anyone doing wrong.  I said this before, we have thousands of members here, most only take, which is fine, but only a small amount give back.  Give them something to do to help save this community.  Let them make phone calls and send emails to these people and after they get enough, things will change.      And before anyone says, I don’t have time or desire to do that, think about that before you hit “download” next time!

flstclasic 
    Participant

I checked, and as of right now the Lifetime Membership says “Sold Out” and if you try to add it to the cart it says “Sorry that item is out of stock”.

bassgeige 
    Participant

The pure combination if sold out or not is completely wrong! It is also easy to activate it and sell another quantum. The whole combination does need to be set in the right direction. To sell a link as a package is together with the misinformation for download links an ultimate lack of good sence!

It is a thin line like to be treading on thin ice. It is ultimately completely unacceptable to have this idea of a bundled service alive.

If that is not understand and corrected from the Name in a Box website owner the next bundled service will be not far away.

It is the duty from the members to stand up against the try from free riders to profit directly from free software.

bassgeige 
    Participant

This is the actual state. There are no more words needed based from the origional content to the actual state. https://youtu.be/KgutRt5kcDQ

Original post as attachment.

actual-state-vs-old-state

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  bassgeige.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  bassgeige.
    Attachments:
     flstclasic 
    Participant

What I was hoping the sold out meant was, maybe he was in the process of rethinking his decision and will put an end to it.

LynnInDenver 
    Participant

We can hope he is rethinking, but by the same token, yeah, that link can be easily reactivated. There’s too much ambiguity, and even with that? He needs to remove the link, apologize publicly for stepping over the line (on the three VP forums at minimum, preferably ALSO on his site AND YouTube), and preferably refund everyone who’s paid for that download thus far.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account