you guys see this??

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    HauntFreaks
      @hauntfreaks
      vipContributorMember

since I havent a clue about the color rom world….  does this “fix” a color rom or does it convert a rom to color?  and what is a *.diff file??

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/4808-vpu-color-rom-patcher/

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

That is basically just a GUI for what we have done manually via a dos prompt. Guess, since you’ve been away, quite a lot of things have changed. The short version, lucky1 made some code that started it all, made it possible to play colored roms for pin2dmd. These roms obviously doesn’t have the correct crc so, you need to turn off crc check if you want vpinmame to still be your friend. A colored rom file needs a sidecar pin2dmd.pal file – that is to reside in vpinmame\altcolor\<romname> folder. You’ll find a 400+ archive of these files that will give you in most cases 4 color palette changes – some look very good, some I don’t care much for. Freezy, has a project, dmd-ext, that in the long run will replace them all (hopefully) currently pindmd1, pindmd2, pindmd3 and “lcd” users should go for this solution. It is as many other things in the VP world, under development, has a few bugs. Right now, it will mess up a few gottlieb system 3 tables … rescue911, surf’n and safari, tee’d off – I’m sure there are more ( disable it for these and your fine ). I’m quite sure that anyone expect pin2dmd users could benefit from a wiki page I wrote. I have a pindmd3, so, there are no guarantees but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work. http://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/pindmd3-replacing-pindmd-dll-for-dmddevice-dll/

The color patched roms – contain their own pin2dmd.pal files. These match the patched rom. The combination makes it work with more than the 4 colors we’ve been forced to use before.

Ginsonic
        Participant
          @ginsonic

Hi HauntFreaks,

this tool is a more user friendly version of the existing command line program “bspatch” ! With this you can patch a few Stern roms to colored DMD versions and use them together with Freezys Dmd Extensions and VPinMame. Quite simple and it is a real improvement.

Edit: Too late, thanks Thalamus  :good:

HauntFreaks
            @hauntfreaks
            vipContributorMember

I use freezy’s DmdDevice.dll and DmdDevice.ini to run color roms on my 2 screen setup…. and it works great….
            I also have the large archive of *.pal files (color pallets)
            and understand loading the *.bin file…..
            but what is the *.diff file??

Thalamus
              @thalamus

Well, if you head over to VPU and get those color patches you’ll notice that they contain only two files. A pin2dmd.pal ( in some cases called *.dat ) and a *.diff file. What they don’t contain is a rom file. So, the diff file is the information the bspatch program uses to change the rom that you need to provide it with … “to become colored”.

It is really like .. “the difference” between what the color rom that the author has, and the “original” rom.

Wildman
              Participant
                @wildman

Basically Dazz is making it easier to patch the rom files….it is the same idea as the table VPU patching tool for tables using the .diff file ..

so you can put out a mod without trashing the authors original work..and only way to make that mod work is to dload the original file or it wont work…

Dazz is the original author of the VPU patching tool.. :-)   so in a nutshell making easier for all to modify the roms with different choices !

you want the red version but i like the blue one better or i like the one i made = VPU PATCHER B-)   like it was said better user friendly  then bspatch method

Trying to move this hobby ahead not being stuck in the the VPF rut ;-) ……still waiting for sam at vpf like promised :wacko:   LOL

freneticamnesic
                  @freneticamnesic
                  vipModeratorMember

I suspect most of us won’t release our tables at VPF if he ever actually does allow SAM uploads. But not to worry, I’m sure hanibal will upload everything for us with potatoes

I like the patching tools. Though bspatch is so easy to use I don’t think I’ll stop doing that. It should help a lot of newbs!

Punch it!

Sliderpoint
                  Participant
                    @sliderpoint
                    MemberContributor

I just noticed I can’t post hyperlinks to vpinball.com at VPF anymore.  I can still use the word “vpinball”, so not as bad as VPU.  But I didn’t realize he blocked linking to here now.

-Mike

edit:  I guess it could have been that way for a while.  I just don’t post there much anymore.

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

I just noticed I can’t post hyperlinks to vpinball.com at VPF anymore. I can still use the word “vpinball”, so not as bad as VPU. But I didn’t realize he blocked linking to here now. -Mike edit: I guess it could have been that way for a while. I just don’t post there much anymore.

He blocks any other site. Makes it very hard to help people with DOF as example. vpinballx.com you could use same as vpinball.com

No reason to not allow linking. I am surprised he allows linking to IPDB LOL that will be blocked next as they have all roms and is competition for VPF :) kidding.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                      for IOS and Android

Dazz
                      Participant
                        @dazz

Hey Guys,

Just like Wildman and Thalamus stated… This tool is simply a GUI to help those that are command line illiterate to help apply Color ROM’ Patches to the official ROM’s.  If you like using the command line; then this tool isn’t necessary for you.  Personally, I’m comfortable with command line, but this tool does make pretty quick work of patching a ROM.  Once I add automatic zipping of the new ROM it will be even quicker.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                        HauntFreaks
                          @hauntfreaks
                          vipContributorMember

Thanks Dazz

sorry again guys for my ignorance on this subject,…. what program is used to create the *.diff files??  :scratch:

senseless
                          Participant
                            @senseless

I think they were created with Pinball Browser. More info can be found here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images#post-872012

For rom patching and installation I updated the VPB wiki on coloring roms a couple of days ago.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                            Wildman
                            Participant
                              @wildman

the proggy makes the dif file…it compares the 2 files and makes the ( difference ) between the 2 files..( .DIF)

just read the file it explains were .dif comes from :good:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/996-vpu-patching-system-vppatch-32bit-64bit/

rascal did alot to get it going…

HauntFreaks
                                @hauntfreaks
                                vipContributorMember

oookkk dokey… so what makes the file that is used by the patcher to make into a diff??

pinball browser??…. and if so, what is the output file from pinball browser??

I know I’m diving into the realm of the dark arts or something…. but i likes to know this stuff…

Sliderpoint
                                Participant
                                  @sliderpoint
                                  MemberContributor

I assumed it was Pin2DMD editor (http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2268-pin2dmd-editor/).  But all the talk of Pinball Browser has me confused now.

-Mike

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

Freezy’ post over at vpf explains quite a lot.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=36915&p=369162

Wildman
                                    Participant
                                      @wildman

rascal tells me it was a open source thing made for mame roms…then they started using it for tables and now roms again lol

Matt Bini
                                      Participant
                                        @mattbini

That is basically just a GUI for what we have done manually via a dos prompt. Guess, since you’ve been away, quite a lot of things have changed. The short version, lucky1 made some code that started it all, made it possible to play colored roms for pin2dmd. These roms obviously doesn’t have the correct crc so, you need to turn off crc check if you want vpinmame to still be your friend. A colored rom file needs a sidecar pin2dmd.pal file – that is to reside in vpinmame\altcolor\<romname> folder. You’ll find a 400+ archive of these files that will give you in most cases 4 color palette changes – some look very good, some I don’t care much for. Freezy, has a project, dmd-ext, that in the long run will replace them all (hopefully) currently pindmd1, pindmd2, pindmd3 and “lcd” users should go for this solution. It is as many other things in the VP world, under development, has a few bugs. Right now, it will mess up a few gottlieb system 3 tables … rescue911, surf’n and safari, tee’d off – I’m sure there are more ( disable it for these and your fine ). I’m quite sure that anyone expect pin2dmd users could benefit from a wiki page I wrote. I have a pindmd3, so, there are no guarantees but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work. http://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/pindmd3-replacing-pindmd-dll-for-dmddevice-dll/ The color patched roms – contain their own pin2dmd.pal files. These match the patched rom. The combination makes it work with more than the 4 colors we’ve been forced to use before.

Thalamus Thanks for this quote, I have just downloaded the fantastic rescue 911 vpx 1.3 and was wondering why the dmd was flashing and had to put the basic vpmame one on. Glad its not just me then. :good:

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus

@matt bini

It seem to be related to Gottlieb System 3 – here is the list from ipdb

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mpu=37

I’ve verified most of these as having issues and I hope some day Freezy will look into that bug.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?