Wikis > Visual Pinball Knowledge Base > Win10 and lost music/rom sounds

This is taken from a great support question made by @stampedem – he had already tried a lot of possible solutions, which are :

The game sounds on many of my tables seems to have quit. Most tables in fact.

I cannot hear any rom audio, but I can hear the mechanical audio like bumpers and slingshots, etc. So, I’m assuming it’s ROM related, rather than an issue with wiring or speakers.

As I’ve gone through each table, I’ve found that about 40% of the tables are playing their sounds. The other 60% no sounds, except the mechanical SSF sounds. Mechanical sounds are no problem. There is no real pattern as to what tables have or don’t have emulated sound, i.e. no specific manufacturer is only having the trouble. They all are. The only think that seems consistent is that it’s older games (about 1985 or earlier) that seem to be affected more. Newer games, 1990s and newer, seem to be less effected. I’d say those newer games are 40%-60%, working/not working, whereas older games are more like 90% not working, 10% working.

My pinmame global options are “use sound” checked on, and altsound = 0, and ROM volume at 100%. The F1 options for each table reflect the global options, so each table is defaulting to use sounds on and Altsound = 0. When I F1 individual tables, I can confirm that they reflect the global settings. But still, most tables won’t play any game sounds. For those tables I have an altsound / pinsound for, if I change the table option to altsound =1 (or 2 if pinsound) then I can hear game sounds. But just trying to get rom emulations sounds? Then nothing.

Additionally, I have the “Sound Samples” and “s3250u3” zipped in the ‘Samples’ subfolder of VPinMame.

Of course, I have each tables audio set as high as possible (8 or 9 key, or open [end key], then 8 or 9 if necessary). And further, I have the VPX audio set as high as possible (+ key). Lastly, in VPX preferences, I do have “play sound effects” and “play music” checked on, and both are set to play from the primary sound driver.

The ROMs I’m using are a good dump. It’s the 3.2 SAMbuild batch. The tables play fine, the roms appear to correctly manage the table, display DMD info, etc. It’s just no sound emulation.

I’ve reinstalled the latest VPX beta (the 3592 ‘stable’ beta didn’t help either), I’ve reinstalled VPinMame, and I reinstalled the latest SAMBuild revision, making sure to actually hit “Install” button on SAMBuild.

I’ve tried deleting the NVRAM and configs files for some tables to test if that worked, but it hasn’t. Still no game sounds.

I’ve tried deleting the rom from the registry. That doesn’t help.

I’ve considered maybe trying alternate ROM version for the tables, but I don’t see how that makes sense, given that I downloaded the tables from the Dux Retro’s spreadsheet, so they’re the up-to-date version of each, and others seem to have no issues with the pre-selected ROM version.

In table options, “set music” is at 100%, I don’t know what to do. If that doesn’t work then I’ve read that adding a line after line 60:

.Games(cGameName).Settings.Value(“sound”) = 1 could work. However, that seems highly unlikely, especially since this appears to affect only me.

  • if this sounds familiar to you – then maybe this will help you too.

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/had-game-sounds-now-i-dont-no-clue-why-help/#post-118846

Category: Tags:
 

©2019 VPinBall.com

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Vpinball.com

Log in with your credentials

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account