Media Scraper Available?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wolpoffm
    Participant
      @wolpoffm

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for taking a look.  I have been a long time retro video game emulator but am just starting in the world of vpin.  I have my VPX setup per Terry’s walkthroughs and have added Pinup system and popper (popper shows up in the wrong orientation but I’ll sort that out).  What I am struggling with as a first time setup is having a lot of tables with multiple possible media items per table to locate, download and setup.  In video game frontends like launchbox or hyperspin, there is a scraper that will search for, download and place the vast majority of artwork, vids etc for each game.  Is there such a tool for pinup popper?

Thanks for the information in advance!

Thalamus
        @thalamus

Here is a quick answer to you

SO – NO !!!!!

There was one “long timer”, creating something like this not long time ago. He saw this video and re-considered. The closest you get to media done easily is via the frontend. PBX and Pinup Popper has such features, and popper is actually hosted by this site. Scrapers are scums – period !

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Thalamus.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
        32assassin
        Participant
          @32assassin

Hey Everyone,

having a lot of tables with multiple possible media items per table to locate, download and setup. In video game frontends like launchbox or hyperspin, there is a scraper that will search for, download and place the vast majority of artwork, vids etc for each game. Is there such a tool for pinup popper?

Thanks for the information in advance!

You said it best.

Unlike rom based games the media you make will not change.

if you record a video clip of the game you will not need to create a new one  if the rom is updated (because it never is).

For Visual Pinball this is NOT THE CASE!!

Tables,  Backglass  are always updated when higher quality media is found.

I always get a kick of this expensive cabs on YouTube and they go to show their cab and they are using a VP9 table videos

and launching a VPX table. Or even worse when they are using a VPX video for FX3 or a Future Pinball Table video for VPX table.

Long story short,  You can use Pinup Popper to   automatically download media.  but its going to be in a per table basis.

Most front ends have an auto record function.

I suggest you make your own videos  so that they match  the table and backglass you have  and updated your media

when you download an updated table or dB2s.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
          https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

wolpoffm
          Participant
            @wolpoffm

Thalamus, I guess we just have a different idea of what a scraper is.  I am not supporting nor justifying anyone creating huge files for torrent distro by auto downloading tables and roms from your site.  I was simply asking as a noob if there was an easier way to get started with artwork etc. than downloading piecemeal through a frontend.  As it turns out, thanks to a clear and concise answer by 32Assassin I see that there is not, so I will commence the process of either locating items through the frontend of creating my own for those that cannot be found.  it seems as though I touched a nerve with my question.  Not a great intro to the community for me.

Thanks anyway.

MW

njk70
            Participant
              @njk70

It was a reasonable question coming from the LaunchBox/arcade emulation world. Just happened to touch a nerve at a touchy time. I don’t particularly care for the manual process myself but I have come to embrace this part of the hobby. Worry about quality over quantity, it will extend the enjoyment of the hobby I think.

32assassin
              Participant
                @32assassin

forgot to mention this but PinballX  has a FTP  and will also let you download files based on your XML table list

feel free to pay for a subscription if that is the rout you want to take.  and FYI  I personally don’t think you will get your moneys worth with what you find in their FTP.

click on the FTP videos and artwork like

its currently free

https://www.pinballx.com/

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Thalamus
                  @thalamus

@wolpoffm : Read my answer again. I’m telling you that front-ends do provide what you’re asking for. One is a paid service, the other one is not. I myself, create some of the media myself via PBY. I rely on friends for other media, it is a mix of what I find looks best. I even share what I use for 128×32 px dmd diaplays, needs a few updates though. Only way to get something to look and play good is to actually spend time on this hobby. And, yes, I have very low tolerance level towards lazy people.

wolpoffm
                  Participant
                    @wolpoffm

@wolpoffm : Read my answer again. I’m telling you that front-ends do provide what you’re asking for. One is a paid service, the other one is not. I myself, create some of the media myself via PBY. I rely on friends for other media, it is a mix of what I find looks best. I even share what I use for 128×32 px dmd diaplays, needs a few updates though. Only way to get something to look and play good is to actually spend time on this hobby. And, yes, I have very low tolerance level towards lazy people.

Dang man, I asked a reasonable question and as @njk70 noted, it was not one that was other worldly yet here I am being deemed a lazy person by a site moderator.  Again, for a community that you would expect to be welcoming, as a first experience, this has been anything but.  Your initial post does mention PBX and Popper, however, for a true noob to this genre of emu, that doesn’t tell  me much (as my first post indicates I was already using popper and downloading item by item).  Your response tells me a bit more, simply by saying one of them is a paid service.  At any rate, I’ll figure this stuff on my own as best I can since I can see that asking for help or guidance here is not worth my time.  Or maybe you could provide a list of acceptable questions that won’t draw the ire of the community, or at least you.  If I want to be called lazy, I’ll leave that up to the judgement of people who actually know me.

wolpoffm
                    Participant
                      @wolpoffm

Thanks for the additional info.  I can see how that ftp is not likely a solution worth paying for.  I appreciate the helpful response.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

Anyone that comes on a forum and start asking instead of bothering to spend some time on what has been said a million times before. Is in my eyes lazy. Take it or leave it.

wolpoffm
                        Participant
                          @wolpoffm

Meh, I’ll leave it thanks. When I searched the forum before posting, the most recent of those “million times before” was over a year ago in Nov of 2019.  I guess I just should assume that nothing could have changed in that time?  I get it, you don’t like answering questions about things that get under your skin.  Next time, I’ll post my search history for you or better yet, just bump a year old post, that always seems to work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?