Needing Help Launching and Quiting Bingo Pinball from Pinup Popper

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Everly
    Participant
      @everly

My step father has taken an interest in my Pincab and showed me these old Bingo style pinball tables he played when he was a kid.  The simulator can be found here.  These machines were rather impressive as all their functions were performed by rotating cogs, relays, and lights.  They are button hungry, to run a standard one would require about 15 to 20 different keys to be mapped, but I thought it would be fun to add a playlist in Pinup Popper just for him with those tables.

Each table is basically a separate exe file.  I created an emulator (even though it isn’t really) in Pinup Popper and I’ve been able to launch a table that I have downloaded from Pinup.  I have also added the process of a couple Bingo tables to my DofLinx.ini so I can get the forward nudge working.  I’m having a problem quitting the exe file and returning to the Pinup front end.  The exe files each have their own folder.  So for example I have this file structure in my hard drive…(C:\Pinball\MyBingoGames) then for every table you download it adds its own subfolder, so the BallyMagicRing.exe file would be in C:\Pinball\MyBingoGames\BallyMagicRing.

Initially I figured I could create shortcuts and place them all in the MyBingoGames folder so I wouldn’t have to dynamically change the directory based on the table that is selected, but my problem doesn’t seem to be launching the table, it is quitting it.  I’ve tried the Pupcloser.exe and the taskkill methods in the closing script but when I press the “Q” button (which is what I use to stop emulators and return to the Pinup front end) nothing happens.  If I pull up the Bingo table menu and quit it from it Pinup Menu doesn’t wake up.

I know there is probably a simple way to do this, but I haven’t wrapped my mind around it so I’m anxious to hear from the experts.

outhere
        @outhere

Something in here may help

https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/22382-very-cool-bingo-pinball-simulation-site/

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Everly
        Participant
          @everly

Yes, I saw that.  That is how I figured it would be completely possible to get it set up in Pinup Popper since it is so flexible but I just haven’t figured out how to do it.  I’ve downloaded the executable that was linked in that forum and made the adjustments for my file structure and quit key.  I’ll try it tomorrow and let you know, but if Nailbuster sees this and immediately knows how to make this work I’d love to know how.

NailBuster
            @nailbuster

anything can be started and closed via Popper.

closing is the tricker part as some apps don’t like a ‘close-app’ command, but you have plenty of options to close a running app.

you can use a hammer like taskkill but that’s not the greatest.

best if there’s a special key-sequence to exit a emulator is to create a super-easy AHK exe that will simulate the keypressed for you and you put that in your close script.

you will just need to add pupcloser.exe with no parameters to that Popper will return normally.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Everly
            Participant
              @everly

Thank you for replying Nailbuster.  What you are describing is exactly what I am seeing.  I can open the selected table with no problem and DofLinx is responding to its activation, it’s closing and returning to Popper that I’m having issues with.  According to the documentation of the Bingo simulator the Exit key commands are Alt+F4 but that doesn’t seem to work even when I run the program directly outside of Popper.  The forum link that Outhere posted contained a file that appears to do what you are talking about with the hotkeys.  I’ve downloaded it but haven’t gotten back to my cabinet to implement it.

David, while I have you I wanted to ask if there has been any headway on being able to have a music file play continually while switching thru tables?  I’m not too concerned about the file picking up where it left off when I return to Popper, but I would like to have the music I’m putting together play continuously as I’m flipping thru all my VPX tables deciding what to load.

Thanks for all the excellent work in Popper.

NailBuster
                @nailbuster

always get everything working/closing outside of Popper first.  if alt-f4 doesn’t work outside popper then need to figure that part out.

for ambient music:  you can do this:  http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=background_music

Everly
                Participant
                  @everly

always get everything working/closing outside of Popper first.  if alt-f4 doesn’t work outside popper then need to figure that part out.

for ambient music:  you can do this:  http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=background_music

Yes, I need to figure out how to close things manually before I attempt to automate it.

Good to know about the background music.  If I’m viewing this correctly I can select one song that would play whenever the front end is up.  It won’t change if I enter a particular playlist, or is it possible to create a Star Wars playlist with all my Star Wars tab!es and have Star Wars playing while I’m in that playlist, but if I back out and select a Super Heroes playlist with super heroes themed tables and have the Avengers theme playing while I’m in that playlist?

NailBuster
                    @nailbuster

no. the ambient bgmusic will play always regardless of what your media has.  it will only pause/play between playing actual games.

you should use default playlist table audio if you want it to change during playlist changes in popper.

Everly
                    Participant
                      @everly

Ok, I’ve made some headway here.  Using the LaunchBingoGameRoom.exe file I can now start on of these tables from the Popper Front End and now my Exit Emulators key (Q on my system) closes the table.  My last hurdle to overcome is that while Popper is still running it doesn’t seem to wake up.  I get the video displays but my wheel bar doesn’t show up.  In the Task Manager it is listed as a background process.  I’ve downloaded the ForceReturn.exe and tried to run it from the close script but nothing happens.  If I Alt+Tab to windows explorer and double click ForceReturn.exe I get it for a second then Popper shuts down.  So at this point I need to figure out how to wake Popper back up after the Bingo Table is exited.

On the other matter of playing music, I just wanted to confirm my understanding that using the default playlists won’t cause the media to play when you enter the playlist and scroll through tables correct?

Everly
                      Participant
                        @everly

Alright, still stumped on this.  I’ve tried calling the ForceReturn.exe from the Start Script, the Close Script, and calling it from the hotkey exe file to run when I press the q key.  So far I haven’t found a way to bring the Popper menu back from the background processes to the active processes.

Additional Notes: I’ve noticed that when I run a VPX table both the Pinup Display and the Pinup Menu go into the background in the task manager and then when I exit the table they both return.  When I use the Launch executable the Pinup Menu goes into the background but the Pinup Displays stay up (apparently just behind the Bingo table backglass and playfield)  Not sure if that is a clue as to why I’m not able to get Pinup Menu back in control when the Bingo table exits.

NailBuster
                          @nailbuster

post your launch and close script.  it shouldn’t be this complicated,  youre missing something simple.

Everly
                          Participant
                            @everly

post your launch and close script.  it shouldn’t be this complicated,  youre missing something simple.

I completely agree it is something simple.  Thank you so much for helping me figure it what it is.  I took the PC Games emulator spot so that is why you will see some rem lines about PC Games.  Here is the Start Script…

<span style="font-size: 10pt;">rem PC GAMES. </span>
                            <span style="font-size: 10pt;">rem - for PC Games, you need to specify what each game "TITLE" is called in the "Custom Launch Parameter" in "Games Manager" for every PC Game.</span>
                            <span style="font-size: 10pt;">rem -[CUSTOM1] is the "Custom Launch Parameter" in "Games Manager" for your selected game.</span>

<span style="font-size: 10pt;">cd "c:\Pinball\MyBingoPrograms"</span>
                            <span style="font-size: 10pt;">START "" /min "LaunchBingoGameRoom.exe" "[GAMENAME]"</span>

<span style="font-size: 10pt;">rem LAUNCH PC GAMES. This will launch your PC game using either a shorcut (lnk) or a BAT file, depending on what you setup in the emulator settings.</span>

<span style="font-size: 10pt;">START /WAIT "" "[GAMEFULLNAME]"</span>

This seems to work fine (unless the way I am doing it is causing the problem.  Here is the one line close script…

START "" "C:\PinUPSystem\Launch\PUPCLOSER.EXE"

I’ve discovered that when I press the button on my cab mapped to the q or the q button on the keyboard the Bingo table will close and I get the Pinup Displays but no Menu.  If I Alt-Tab to Windows Explorer and run PupCloser.exe as-admin my menu comes back.  I’ve set Pupcloser.exe as admin (which i know I’m not supposed to do) but that didn’t help either.  Not sure why the close script won’t run it but my double click will.

NailBuster
                              @nailbuster

you must have a vpxstarter.exe line in launch script to tell popper ‘all is good’  just use vpxstarter.exe 5 1 5 “nowindow”

do not use /wait anywhere in launch script

Everly
                              Participant
                                @everly

Ok I added the line but I get the same result.  Pressing q closes the table but doesn’t get me back to the Pinup Menu.  If I double click PuPcloser.exe it does come up.  Just to make sure we are on the same page, this is now my Start Script.

rem PC GAMES.
                                rem - for PC Games, you need to specify what each game "TITLE" is called in the "Custom Launch Parameter" in "Games Manager" for every PC Game.
                                rem -[CUSTOM1] is the "Custom Launch Parameter" in "Games Manager" for your selected game.
                                vpxstarter.exe 5 1 5 “nowindow”

cd "c:\Pinball\MyBingoPrograms"
                                START "" /min "LaunchBingoGameRoom.exe" "[GAMENAME]"

rem LAUNCH PC GAMES. This will launch your PC game using either a shorcut (lnk) or a BAT file, depending on what you setup in the emulator settings.

rem START /WAIT "" "[GAMEFULLNAME]"

Everly
                                Participant
                                  @everly

Ok, realized you meant I needed to add this line in the start script…

START "" "[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe" 5 1 5 “nowindow”

I think that took care of it.  Let me do some testing and I will update this post on the results.

UPDATE:  Yes, we are in business.  Like you said (and my spider sense was telling me) it was a simple command line that I needed to add or adjust.  I’m launching and returning cleanly now.  I’m going to do a restart because now my flipper contactors are pulling in when I’m scrolling thru tables, which they didn’t use to do.  Thank you so much for helping me see what I was missing.

With regard to the music, am I correct in saying we need to choose between having one background song play continuously until a launch of a table OR different songs that will play when playlists are “highlighted” in the home screen BUT went we enter that playlist the music stops?

NailBuster
                                    @nailbuster

try the music out.  if your game doesn’t have table audio set it will use the playlist table audio. same with all other displays,  if game doesn’t have a dmd set it will use the playlist dmd video.

Everly
                                    Participant
                                      @everly

Sorry to have to revisit this but something has happened and I can’t figure out what is causing it.  I am using Terry’s SUP creator to add some MX effects to these bingo tables.  I’ve got the effects working as expected but now when I press the quit key I am back to the issue where Pinup Menu stays in the background and doesn’t wake up after the emulator is closed out.  Below are my start up and closing scripts.  Hopefully someone will see something I’m missing.

UPDATE: I got this resolved.  I had to go into the registry and disable user access control at that level.  This allowed me to run Pinup Menu as an Administrator and still have the MX effects that I would lose when I ran it as an Admin earlier.  By running as an Admin the PupCloser would return me to the menu as expected.  System is awesome, just takes a little time to make sure all of the setting are correct to get the desired effect.

Dazz
                                      Participant
                                        @dazz

@everly did you ever get this running with the individual games selectable via Popper?

This is how I have it setup and unable to launch any of the tables/games.

The game folders are located at: D:\Bingogameroom
                                        D:\Bingo contains only LaunchBingoGameRoom.exe

What am I missing?

Dazz
                                        Participant
                                          @dazz

@everly Also, can you post your DOF Linx setup for Bingo?  I’d like to get nudging to work as well as map a couple other keys.

Everly
                                          Participant
                                            @everly

@dazz – Sorry it took me so long to reply to this.  I did get it working.  The general tab you posted looks about right.  Here are my opening and closing scripts.  As you can see they could used cleaned up as there are a number of REMark lines.

rem PC GAMES.
                                            rem - for PC Games, you need to specify what each game "TITLE" is called in the "Custom Launch Parameter" in "Games Manager" for every PC Game.
                                            rem -[CUSTOM1] is the "Custom Launch Parameter" in "Games Manager" for your selected game.

START "" "[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe" 5 1 5 “nowindow”

cd "c:\Pinball\MyBingoPrograms"
                                            START "" /min "LaunchBingoGameRoom.exe" "[GAMENAME]"

rem LAUNCH PC GAMES. This will launch your PC game using either a shorcut (lnk) or a BAT file, depending on what you setup in the emulator settings.

rem START /WAIT "" "[GAMEFULLNAME]"

Closing

START "" "C:\PinUPSystem\Launch\PUPCLOSER.EXE"

In terms of the DOF Linx setup, the only line I adjusted in my ini file was under MISC SETTINGS to include LaunchBingoGameRoom

######## MISC SETTINGS ########

# The list of processes that can activate DOFLinx, such as Pinball FX3, Future Pinball, etc.

PROCESSES=Pinball FX3,Pinball FX2,Future Pinball,mamelayplus,LaunchBingoGameRoom

I’ll be more responsive moving forward, I know what it is like to have a problem and how appreciative I am that Nailbuster, TerryRed, and Major Frenchy have been willing to help me thru it so I’m happy to finally be on the helping end.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?