Nudge sensor from gamepad thumbstick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mikethinks
    Participant
      @mikethinks

Since VisualPinball has built in support for using a gamepad thumbstick for nudging…I was thinking about taking the spring out (or using a much weaker one) of a thumbstick, mounting it upside down in the cabinet with a bit of a long shaft with a weight on the end.  This should register cabinet movement and be plug and play in windows.

Anyone tried this?

Thalamus
        @thalamus

I would not know. All I can say. Give it a shot. If it works for you, then great. I would however suggest that you look into kl25z or kits that use that. For me, the nudge coupled with a real tilt bob is essential in order to get somewhere close to the real deal.

JR
        Participant
          @jfr1

There are threads out there about using ps2/ Sidewinder controls for nudge but if you take notice – – they are all pretty old threads.  The kl25z option is inexpensive and what handles my nudge and plunge now.  BUT, I sure understand tinkering.  I still have a paint stick/mouse mounted inside my cab that ran Nailbuster’s rather amazing plunger creation for the first year.  Have fun!

Mikethinks
          Participant
            @mikethinks

Thanks for the replies.  I may have to dive into the KL23Z, because there is something very not right going on with using analog nudge.  Left and right (x-axis) movements create only y-axis motion.  Even on the test table, you can see the input go left of right, but its 100% vertical nudge action.  Pressing the Z and / key does the proper left and right nudge, but analog looks like the input is correct, but alas Im only getting vertical nudge action…even though the input and pendulum thingy seem to show the correct input :(

https://youtu.be/qaKh9U2QBGY

Thalamus
              @thalamus

kl25z is cheap and known to work very well with vp, so, yeah – get one is again my advice.

Mikethinks
              Participant
                @mikethinks

OK, I got my Kl25z thingy today, and setting it up to just do the nudging is a breeze!  Thanks.

Apparently it can do a lot more, but there isn’t much more i need for my 24 inch playfield mini build.  So its out with the packing cardboard mock up, and onto the MDF this weekend.  Hope to have the thing complete in a few weeks, just a basic table with backbox, the only challenge I forsee is I’m likely going to have to carve out a lockdown bar  so I don’t have to spend $200 on one silly piece of metal.   Have the main pieces all sketched up in tinker cad and ready to start building.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?