*** Escape from the Lost World DONE***

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation

I suck at secrets and I love the conversation so here we go.  The French team had started working on the PF image with plans to build a table and Matt, @Mlager8, and I did also, so we persuaded them pass the “build rights” to us exclusively because David, aka Scotty VH, aka @scottt, geez must be a wanted man, has the table.  So here we are,

wip

Two days in and I got the base going, I’ve done a lot of research to see how the inner workings of the table are.  Complicated table but I felt the same way when I started Hardbody and I think that turned out pretty nice.  This table has ALOT of plastics so Matt and David got together and tried out a 3d technique that I will let him describe but it involves taking a shit ton of pics and making a 3D model out of it.  Here was the test…

mod

Very impressive, nice job Matt.  Should be a very nice build, I almost bought this table a couple years ago, but was way too much, so I will get it one way or another.

5 users thanked author for this post.
      sheltemke
      Participant
        @sheltemke

End of the Year here on our neck, and i love summarize the year even in VPX :)

You know Tom there are many many amazing Author active but if i have to choose which one is my favourite now i choose you becouse the dynamics and the way you push things are simply amazing.

I want to thank you for what you did and doing in 2019 you are one of the reasons i try to “push” VPX things at background and trying to help / improve things.

Thank you so much TOM!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Tom
        Mlager8
        Participant
          @mlager8

Just to elaborate a little more on what you’re seeing above; David @scottt has this table as mentioned above, and is generously offering to take many many pictures to help us out.

The goal is to get as many pics as possible from every conceivable angle to be able to reconstruct a 3d model using a piece of photogrammetry software.

The first go around was solid, but as maybe expected there are some gaps. This was the result of trying to reconstruct the table as a whole, which is probably not the best idea, but at the least gives in a nice capture of spatial placements and measurements. You can see those results here: https://skfb.ly/6OX7y
          Give it a min for the model and texture to load, but you can pan around and see what we’ve captured. Keep in mind this is all from photographs and no hand modeling of any sort.

The next steps will be to take pics of some individual components and try to reconstruct them on their own rather than the whole table together in a single mesh. The components I want to focus on are the apron, the 2 plastic molded ramps, and the volcano. If we get nice reconstructions of those pieces, I’ll have to retopologize low res versions and transfer textures and details from the high res capture to make thing feasible to bring into VPX.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation

Yeah what Matt said… :wacko:

JR
            Participant
              @jfr1

That is very cool.  Thanks for sharing.

bord
                @bord

Super-funky model! Has great use for spacial sizing and placement when modeling. Very cool idea!

Mlager8
                Participant
                  @mlager8

Super-funky model! Has great use for spacial sizing and placement when modeling. Very cool idea!

That was my thinking, even if this first model is unusable in the end, at the very least it will help with placement and things like angles and curves which usually end up being best guess.

Shannon
                  Participant
                    @shannon1

I have been really looking forward to someone tackling this table. It looks like a very difficult and challenging build, but I know the right guys are on it! I also read somewhere that the table glass actually has some graphics on it?

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation

Sure does

eMBee
                      Participant
                        @embee

Interesting… I’ll follow this WIP for sure.
                        I played this cabinet in a local sports cantina when i was little. Didn’t played by game rules, just slaping the ball around.
                        I can remember that i was impressed by the playfield layout and plastics. Very different and cool back then.
                        And the setting where off, because i could play for hours on 1 guilder (easy extra balls en extra games). Yep… good times!

Anyway… i got exited when reading this and made two new wheels for this release

What to do… early wheels release or wait?

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation

I have been working for the last week to get the dimensions of the table and the upper and lower PF sized and lining up correctly.  What a pain in the ass.  The blueprints and the PF image we have are both different than the other tables we have seen.  Davids table and just about every other table have some different sayings on certain things.  The image we have may be a prototype or maybe made for a foreign market.  Either way Matt is working his magic rebuilding the bottom layer and making the top layer from scratch.  I have full faith in Matt after he built the Party Animal PF from scratch.

I am just about to the point where I need to start getting the script going.  I pretty much have the bottom and middle playfields populated enough to play it.  There is a “third” level which is the very back ramp which has a few secret doors and it would be helpful to have the ball rolling around to adjust pieces.  I also need to build a few of the vpx ramps which will be invisible and Matt will make the models.

esc

Here is an example of the differences:

diff

The Guys Hat…  the green insert (Hold Bonus vs Bonus Held)

3 users thanked author for this post.
                          sheltemke
                          Participant
                            @sheltemke

Totally awesome Tom! B-)

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation

Matts apron.  Great job .  The plastics are gonna be the hardest part of this table and if they all turn out this nice it’s gonna be a great table

AD0C8985-5ABD-4471-9B70-AB377A89A703

2 users thanked author for this post.
                              Thalamus
                                @thalamus

Looks great @mlager8

Mlager8
                                Participant
                                  @mlager8

Thanks bud

Wanted to give everyone a closer look at the progress so far, you can check the model out here: https://p3d.in/W2jz6

@scottt
                                  has been great taking tons and I means TONS of photos for me.
                                  I took 137 of them to make a photogrammetry generated mesh, retopologized a much less dense version in maya with proper edge flow, projected a base texture and bump map from the high poly to low poly, and am now in the process of using some close up high res photos to stitch together a better texture map.

You can see in the model above that the rail/ramp on the right side still has the base texture which is why its so low res looking.

It’s still a work in progress but I think this workflow is progressing out nicely and should yield good results for the other molded plastic pieces on the table.

@armyaviation
                                  is plugging away populating the table properly and has a damn near playable version so all in all I think we’re on a good track here

JR
                                  Participant
                                    @jfr1

Retopologized.  I am going to find a way to use that word somehow tomorrow. Most likely incorrectly.

Thanks for all this work!

bord
                                      @bord

Retop work sucks (or maybe I just suck at it). @mlager8, can’t say enough how terrific that apron came out. If you showed me that and only that I would be really excited for this build. Great work.

Mlager8
                                      Participant
                                        @mlager8

Retop work sucks (or maybe I just suck at it). @mlager8, can’t say enough how terrific that apron came out. If you showed me that and only that I would be really excited for this build. Great work.

@bord
                                        retopo really used to be a severe PITA but for the last couple of releases maya has a great retopo tool called quad-draw and literally let’s you draw new polygons right on top of another mesh. It can still be tile consuming but way easier than it used to be.

I think maybe youre a blender guy (?) and don’t really know much about the tools available there (though I have heard great things about this last point release) but I should mention zbrush and topogun both have real nice workflows for topo work as maya is a tad intimidating if you’ve never used it before.

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation

working with @32assassin and he got the table and script up and running.  Gave me a big boost on this table.  Time to start cranking out pieces and placing them in.  Thanks 32!

Tom
                                          Participant
                                            @armyaviation

just got the rough apron and back ramp in, great job Matt, Dropped right in.  Things are lining up quite well.  Props @Mlager8.  Got the lava lights working in the middle of the table, Need to redo the graphics around the outside and play with the light sizes and intensity but its pretty cool.  David sent some good videos of the light show.

pic

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 100 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?