Shadow Toys [WIP] Project

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dark
      @dark

In case you missed it, I’ve posted a project documenting my progress in making the toys for The Shadow.

I just updated it today with a time lapse video of my progress so far on the ornate dagger.

https://vpinball.com/bb_project/the-shadow-3d-toys-wip/

I will be making each available as a download here at vpb once completed.

3dcreation

3dcreation

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Thalamus
        @thalamus

All through the video I kept thinking about the Aussie that got booted, and the many hours he spent :)

Great stuff @Dark

Dark
          @dark

All through the video I kept thinking about the Aussie that got booted, and the many hours he spent :)

Great stuff @Dark

What the time lapse video doesn’t show is all my undo’s and edit’s that I ended up going back on.  The majority of what I do around here is trying to tackle the harder table toys and although they are often the ‘centerpieces’ on tables they only make up a small portion of the table.  That guy in question really didn’t appreciate how much can really go in to one table,  from artists formatting artwork for VP, gathering resources, scripting to 3D modelling it often takes a wide array of talented people to ‘fully’ realize a table.

3dcreation

3dcreation

TNT2
          Participant
            @tnt2

Wow. Very impressive work. :good:

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Mlager8
            Participant
              @mlager8

Any reason you didn’t sculpt with symmetry at least for the base and make whatever differentiations are needed later on?

Dark
                @dark

Any reason you didn’t sculpt with symmetry at least for the base and make whatever differentiations are needed later on?

Yes, because it’s not symmetrical.  I did use symmetry early on but it was evident all it would accomplish was inaccuracies that I would have to spend time adjusting and fixing later on.  I decided I would rather try to get the proportions and details closer to ‘correct’ sooner rather than later.  I try to not focus on any particular area too much early in the process, instead trying to block out the general shape.  You’ll notice a good portion of the start of the wip video shows the model in lower resolution, (about 200-300k polys) because it’s easier to adjust over all proportions in lower resolution then once the overall shape is close I start to gradually increase resolution and add in details.  In my experience a common folly of artists is to focus too much on details early on then when they realize overall proportions are wrong later on it becomes very difficult to make corrections because at this point there’s so many details to move around and the artist has become attached to those details and has a tough time separating themselves from it and being critical enough to make the necessary changes.

Even when I made the very basic starting mesh in 3dsmax which I lined up to a photograph (as seen in the start of video), I used symmetry to make it fast but even at this early stage I had to adjust the mesh above the symmetry modifier in the modifier stack because as I said, although at first glance it may appear somewhat symmetrical, it really isn’t.

3dcreation

3dcreation

Dark
                  @dark

Posted some updates today to The Shadow Project.  I’m finishing up the Phurba dagger now and should be available for download some time soon.

3dcreation

3dcreation

Dark
                    @dark

Got the phurba dagger done, uploaded to sketchfab (see project) if you want to check it out in real time 3D! :)

I’ll upload tomorrow then its on to the ‘warriors’.

3dcreation

3dcreation

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    Dark
                      @dark

I have a basic start on the warriors posted in the project.

3dcreation

3dcreation

Dark
                        @dark

The warriors are nearing completion.

3dcreation

3dcreation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?