Sta…Sta…Sta… Stuttering Observation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

Hmmm?

A number of new tables have been giving me some stuttering of late.  I’ve been doing all the usual things to minimise it, but I can’t get rid of it totally.

Today I loaded the new MedMad (in a late VP10.2 beta) and it too gave me some stutter. Not severe, but enough to be annoying.

So I opened my previous TT & Nin version to compare.  It played smooth as!  Hmmm… it opens in 10.1 (official release), so I wonder how does the new version play in 10.1?

The answer… Smooth as!

So I ask myself, “Rusty, what are you missing out on if you don’t play it in 10.2?”  I answer, “I dunno, try and see if you can pick the difference”

This I do and rather than notice any difference in lighting effects or mechanical actions or whatever, I immediately notice that the stutter is now gone…. WTF?

So my new question is this: What could have opening the table in 10.1 done to effect it’s game play in 10.2?  I didn’t save the table in 10.1, just played it.  Would 10.2 have added/modified a support file like NVRAM or some registry entry or DB somewhere?  I have no idea what goes on in the background, but seriously, after simply playing it in 10.1, 10.2 then played without stutter.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

interesting. I do know you save in 10.2 i dont know if it plays properly in 10.1 or at all…not sure but stutter can also be other things like closing off vp completly or fresh boot can even solve it

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

I would post about it in toxie and fuzzel’s beta thread, Rusty… they can probably use the feedback, or possibly help you get it figured.

RustyCardores
            @rustycardores
            MemberModerator

Ok just played it again and after about 20 mins it started again…. so it must be something within my system rather than anything else. It was just odd, how it instantly vanished for a while after playing in 10.1 (which it did just fine btw)

I might start monitoring my CPU temps and things like that. just in case it’s hardware related.  I’ll post in the beta thread if & when I can point the finger at something definitively.

Drybonz
            Participant
              @drybonz

Yeah, there were some people in some old threads that were saying not running as admin can cause a slow degradation in performance… I have nothing to show that this might be true… just passing it along.

My guess would also be hardware for a slow degradation… temp and fans, etc… even a cpu fan full of dust can cause that… but I would think that would affect you in 10.1 and 10.2 as well.

RustyCardores
                @rustycardores
                MemberModerator

I’m still investigating and I’m starting to think the issue is associated with how many balls I put on the table.  That’s a lot of shadow to process!

I’ve got a killer GPU (960) but I think overall I’m being let down by a slower PC (Quad 2.83)

Anyway, I’ve deactivated the shadows from my balls and they seem smoother…. but time will tell.

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Shadow balls :( fren would be jealous

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
                    @rustycardores
                    MemberModerator

Shadow balls :( fren would be jealous

He who casts the biggest shadow wins! ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?