Star Wars by Data East

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    alistair
    Participant
      @alistaircg

Star Wars by data east with metric measurement pictures

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yo0i0e2ancb2hwq/AAAGh9wkNNvWfGDb1I34b0Tia?dl=0

1 user thanked author for this post.
      alistair
      Participant
        @alistaircg

updated the pictures with a playfield and plastics

alistair
        Participant
          @alistaircg

I currently have two of these machines, one built and working and one in pieces im cleaning, let me know what you need

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

Good man.

If anything I would recommend taking pics of each individual plastic directly from above with plastic centered to keep perspective distortion to a minimum.

The image that shows the entire collection ‘star wars plastics’ has the proper plastic shapes (I assume) so if you can match a photo or better yet scan them on a flatbed scanner is best.

3dcreation

32assassin
            Participant
              @32assassin

I might be able to make a few primitive plastics from the star wars plastics.jpg image.

but the quality will be sub-par.   we need more images similar to the image in your folder “Wookieedt.jpg”

this image can be traced with the pen tool in PS in less then 1 minute and a primitive plasitcs can be built in a few minutes.

Individual 300+ DIP scans of each plastic work best,  you don’t need to scan the clear plastics (the ones that don’t have any images).I can make those from the star wars plastics.jpg image.

if you don’t have a scanner a camera that is held in place;  Use  a box or any other device similar to this.

Side note –>  it will help allot if you place the plastic on top of a white printer paper when you take the picture.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
              https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

CarnyPriest
              Participant
                @carnypriest

Hmm, poor man’s tripod. Nice idea!

alistair
                Participant
                  @alistaircg

I got tons of photo gear, i will set up some lights with a 50mm prime 1.4 lens and take proper shots, i just shot these with my phone to gauge interest and perhaps get the ball rolling, I can fix the distortion in photoshop under the iphone lens profile with the current pictures, I will scan in the plastics i have with my studio flat bed scanner, some are cracked as I still have to buy new ones. Adobe illustrators path trace tool has gotten really good BTW, i will make a test of the above mentioned wookie piece and save it to PDF that you can raster off to any size, then we can decide if thats a way to go

alistair
                  Participant
                    @alistaircg

Good man. If anything I would recommend taking pics of each individual plastic directly from above with plastic centered to keep perspective distortion to a minimum. The image that shows the entire collection ‘star wars plastics’ has the proper plastic shapes (I assume) so if you can match a photo or better yet scan them on a flatbed scanner is best.

the plastic pic you refer to is from marco Specialities, its a refrence and the shapes are correct, its just low res

alistair
                    Participant
                      @alistaircg

Good man. If anything I would recommend taking pics of each individual plastic directly from above with plastic centered to keep perspective distortion to a minimum. The image that shows the entire collection ‘star wars plastics’ has the proper plastic shapes (I assume) so if you can match a photo or better yet scan them on a flatbed scanner is best.

the plastic pic you refer to is from marco Specialities, its a reference and the shapes are correct, its just low res

alistair
                      Participant
                        @alistaircg

BTW i also currently have a rock bullwinkle and a twilight zone with me, if you want any thing shot or scanned from those, and I have access to 50 other machines

2 users thanked author for this post.
                        Dark
                          @dark
                          vipMemberContributor

Sounds like you need to get a flatbed scanner then.  :P

3dcreation

32assassin
                          Participant
                            @32assassin

BTW i also currently have a rock bullwinkle and a twilight zone with me, if you want any thing shot or scanned from those, and I have access to 50 other machines

is their an EarthShaker, Future Spa,  Baby PacMan, Hardley Davison (bally)  on that list?  I have playable VPX versions of this tables but they are missing plastics.

the VPX versions of Rocky & bullwinkle  and twilight zone already have a good set of plastics.

if you are willing to scans the plastics I might be able to make a table,

give me your wish list from the tables you have access to and I will tell you if I can make it.

Just know that if the table has complex models/ramps  their is a high probability I will say no.

TNT2
                            Participant
                              @tnt2

BTW i also currently have a rock bullwinkle and a twilight zone with me, if you want any thing shot or scanned from those, and I have access to 50 other machines

is their an EarthShaker, Future Spa, Baby PacMan, Hardley Davison (bally) on that list? I have playable VPX versions of this tables but they are missing plastics. the VPX versions of Rocky & bullwinkle and twilight zone already have a good set of plastics. if you are willing to scans the plastics I might be able to make a table, give me your wish list from the tables you have access to and I will tell you if I can make it. Just know that if the table has complex models/ramps their is a high probability I will say no.

:heart:

bord
                                @bord
                                MembervipContributorModerator

Hey @32assassin, hit me up if you need complex ramps for anything. As long as you have them working in VPX I can make prims in Blender for you.

32assassin
                                Participant
                                  @32assassin

I will send you my earthshaker

it needs

• ramps ,  the shape of all the ramps are very basic but they also need the mounting area for the domes,
                                  • metal brake for the ramp entrance signs

another problem I have is that,  I redrew some of the plastics and after creating the primitives.

the textures are warped as hell.  I can do a puppet rap of the original image,  but I would like to know why this is happening.

Dark
                                    @dark
                                    vipMemberContributor

I will send you my earthshaker it needs

• ramps , the shape of all the ramps are very basic but they also need the mounting area for the domes,
                                    • metal brake for the ramp entrance signs

another problem I have is that, I redrew some of the plastics and after creating the primitives. the textures are warped as hell. I can do a puppet rap of the original image, but I would like to know why this is happening.

My guess would be that your UV layout does not match the aspect ratio of the texture map or vise versa.  As discussed above we want those ‘true top view’ angles for our plastics to help avoid issues like this.  If you take a screen shot of your primitive plastic from a top view then paste that image into photoshop, you can use it as an overlay guide for your redraw plastic, or the other way around, base the plastic shape off the image.

3dcreation

32assassin
                                    Participant
                                      @32assassin

I did not do a free hand redraw,  I traced the plastics from this image that has the “true top view”.

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/6968/plastic-set-for-earthshak

I traced the shape of the plastics, saved a svg file and imported the svg file into blender

I did a “Smart Unwrap” after the primitive was built to get the textures

the actual primitives  line up with the PF image

here is a table with the

primitives I built.

svg files I imported into blender

psd files and textures

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lofxf7lkxmwogus/1.zip?dl=0

alistair
                                      Participant
                                        @alistaircg

I have access to the machines at http://www.pinballfundi.co.za they are a client of mine, i did their website

alistair
                                        Participant
                                          @alistaircg

I am uploading scans now to a folder called “Star Wars Data East June 2017 Plastic scans – 01” If you are going to redraw these please let me have them so I can print my own replacement plastics in the future

When I get some money I will buy new plastics for the cracked ones, some of the plastics I cant scan because they are riveted together and I do not have the type of rivets used to re-rivet them back

cyberpez
                                          Participant
                                            @cyberpez

I did not do a free hand redraw, I traced the plastics from this image that has the “true top view”. http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/6968/plastic-set-for-earthshak I traced the shape of the plastics, saved a svg file and imported the svg file into blender I did a “Smart Unwrap” after the primitive was built to get the textures the actual primitives line up with the PF image here is a table with the primitives I built. svg files I imported into blender psd files and textures https://www.dropbox.com/s/lofxf7lkxmwogus/1.zip?dl=0

For unwapping in blender give “project from view” a try.  I have been having really good luck with it.  I trace all of my plastics in blender in view 7 on the number pad (it shows an imported background image)  Then using Project From View, it does an exact unwrap of the top of the plastic.  Using smart unwrap I was getting the same distorted plastics you mentioned, but doing it this way they have all turned out great.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?