‘Flukeman’ 3D Toy, X-Files (Sega) by: Dark

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dark
      @dark
      vipMemberContributor

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/flukeman-3d-toy-x-files-sega-by-dark-2-0-update-2020-01-05/

Flukeman 3D X-Files Sega 3D by Dark

So what’s new with the 2.0 version of this model?  Allow me to explain, this was one of the first models I created using ZBrush and then optimized and generated normals bump maps for in 3ds max.  Since it was one of my earliest models using ZBrush I was basically learning as I went along and to make a long story short I did a pretty poor job at making the low poly optimized version.   Over time I did more research and figured out ways to streamline my process and get much better results as you would see in subsequent models.

So what I’ve done for this model is re-exported the old high poly model, made new low poly models and projected all new maps for the low poly versions.  The result is greatly improved clarity in detail of the normal bump map as well as improved texture quality.  Also the texture seams have also been greatly improved.

The large file size is due to the high poly model being included,  also the texture maps are all rendered at 2048×2048,  I’m not sure you would notice the texture difference if reduced to 1024×1024 except maybe on a 4k monitor,  a 2k texture is quite large considering the model will ultimately only take up like 1/16th of the space on screen.

I also rendered out a series of ‘on’ maps for when the green flashers go off, so there’s a series for when the front (light in front of flukeman) goes off and one set for behind.

Sculpted in Zbrush, a high detail sculpt was used to generate a normal map for a low poly optimised mesh that was in made in 3ds max.  Thanks Jim for the great reference pics!

3dcreation

3 users thanked author for this post.
      freneticamnesic
        @freneticamnesic
        vipModeratorMember

He sure is ugly

in a good way

Punch it!

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Nice model. Dang nice.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

LowPoly_with_edgedfacesLowPolyRenderLowPolyRender_with_normalsmapLowPolyRender_without_normalsmap

New optimized Flukeman.  (1st image: Wireframe/edgedface Low poly model(Viewport) 2nd: Low poly model with all maps (rendered in 3dsmax)  3rd: Low poly model with only normals bump map (rendered””)  4th:  Low poly model with no maps (rendered “”).

3dcreation

5 users thanked author for this post.
            Dark
              @dark
              vipMemberContributor

I have to mention, one of the greatest difficulties from this model were caused by those 4 nipple looking teeth this guy has.  It was really difficult to get them to bake properly on a low poly mesh, that’s why you end up seeing a higher concentration of polygons around the mouth area than the rest of the model.  lol :wacko:

3dcreation

chucky87
              Participant
                @chucky87

beautiful ….. you are on all franks thank you very much for your 3D which allows to give life to our virtual pinball tables

1 user thanked author for this post.
                makmak
                Participant
                  @makmak

Unfortunately too scary to import to my table :-(

THX!!!:-)

LTA
                  Participant
                    @luvthatapex

Wow you have some mad skills! That is one beautiful sculpt!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Cognis
                    Participant
                      @cognis

I really like the quality of this and am excited to update the table in my cabinet.  However I thought I understood what I need to do but I’m not quite getting it.  Do you or anyone have a little bit more verbose steps on exactly what to do?

Dark
                        @dark
                        vipMemberContributor

I talked to sliderpoint briefly, he’s pretty busy these days but he may release an update for the table at some point.

If you want to update the model yourself what you’ll have to do is….

-Identify each primitive part on the table (Flukeman, flukeman tunnel)

-While having the appropriate part selected, ex. Flukeman, click ‘import’ from the options menu on the right under primitive options ->  Import new flukeman model.

-Import new maps, apply them to the flukeman in primitive options, be sure to update both the ‘image’ texture map as well as the ‘normals’ bump map.

-Repeat the same process for “Flukeman Tunnel”

Now here’s where it might get a little tricky, in the script it tells the model to swap texture maps when the corresponding green flasher goes off.  So some where in the script it tells it to swap texture maps in a sequence of 3 maps if memory serves me.  You need to import the new texture swap maps (green maps) and either rename them so they match the naming in the script or change the naming in the script.  If you don’t update the texture swaps it will throw errors when the flashers go off.

3dcreation

Cognis
                        Participant
                          @cognis

Thanks Dark! As soon as I get home tonight I’ll give that a go.  Sounds like making a copy of the table first is in order! :-)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?