Minor issue with running process…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    the_greeze
    Participant
      @thegreeze

I installed PuP last night and have been having fun with it and TerryRed’s/Dozer’s/plus others Tron table. No problems with getting it running and setup but I do have a minor issue regarding a process running in the background. Let me explain:

I use PinballX as my front-end, the PuP Tron table loads and plays as expected. I can play multiple games without issue provided I don’t exit out of it and  play a non-PuP table and then go back and load PuP Tron again. If I do, PuP doesn’t work. I believe I have found the culprit, there’s a background task running (PupPlayer.exe – I may be wrong about the name, I’m at work as I write this) that I need to kill via Task Manager in order to get PuP working again.

Now, this is not a major issue. I guess I can always write a small batch file to Taskkill it using PinballX’s ‘Launch After’ option but I was wondering, can I pass any arguments to said background task? i.e ‘quit’, for example? Using Taskkill is a bit like using a sledgehammer on a walnut!

Great app by the way! It’s awesome, thank you.  :yes:

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

@terryred

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

the_greeze
        Participant
          @thegreeze

A little update: the process is called ‘PinUpDisplay.exe’ and I have written a tiny batch file to kill it on exiting the table via PinballX

It works, but not all the time. Sometimes the process is still running. It’s a bit hit-and-miss. Any ideas why?

On the occasions that my batch file doesn’t kill it, I have to resort to Task Manager.

Here’s the batch file:

@ECHO OFF
          TASKKILL /IM PinUpDisplay.exe

NailBuster
            @nailbuster
            ModeratorMember

couple of things to check…

I know you installed last night,  but did you use the latest beta from last night?  I ask because things have changed is latest files (especially if you’re running win7).  If you did update to latest files its important to update the b2splugin folder as well as that will have an affect on non-pup tables.

are you using win7 or win10?

to simple check that you are on the ‘correct’ version.  The pinupdisplay.exe(actual player/driver) is now a ‘system-tray’ icon  (shouldn’t appear in regular taskbar).    it does stay running by design (it doesn’t take up resources unless there’s a table running).   For things like pinball fx2/fx3 and DofLinx it needs to sit there quietly…

let me know if that solves the issue….

the_greeze
            Participant
              @thegreeze

Hi Nailbuster,

I grabbed the files from here: http://www.nailbuster.com/beta/PinUPPlayer_latest_build.zip and there is an icon in the system tray so I’m pretty sure I have the new version. :)

Running Windows 7 here…

I can close the app now by right-clicking the icon but the problem remains unfortunately.

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Hmm. did you install it @ 08:00, 10:00, 14:00 or 16:00 cet or 16:00 cet+1 or maybe let me see … 18:00 zulu ?

Version numbers !!!!!!!

… still grumpy !

NailBuster
                  @nailbuster
                  ModeratorMember

???  okay… don’t know if that “version numbers’ was for me or the_greez   but OK

… when you dbl-click and bring up pinupdisplay.exe(tray icon).  What VERSION # does it say on the main form?

the_greeze
                  Participant
                    @thegreeze

v1.01b

NailBuster
                      @nailbuster
                      ModeratorMember

hmmm…  windows 7…. (closing the pinupdisplay.exe probably won’t have an effect…because its the ‘com-object’ that is ‘stuck’,  if you look at taskmanager do you have a pinupplayer.exe still running?)  make sure that none of the new exes are NOT running in admin/or compatiblity mode…that was an old ‘workaround’.

also, want to make sure that you copied the B2Splugin dlls over to the plugins folder from that zip.

a lot of small issues I don’t see on win10 that is happening in windows 7…..

let me know….thanks

the_greeze
                      Participant
                        @thegreeze

No, there’s no ‘pinupplayer.exe’ still running, just ‘pinupdisplay.exe’.

Nothing is running in either compatibility mode or as an admin. The B2S dll’s are definitely from the same zip file (v1.01b)

the_greeze
                        Participant
                          @thegreeze

Okay, I have a fix (workaround, whatever).  :good:

I looked into stopping processes and ended up using PowerShell. My new batch file (which I named “kill_pup” – sounds awful, I know!) now looks like this:

@ECHO OFF

C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe stop-process -processname pinupdisplay

So far, so good; it’s been stopping PinUpDisplay.exe everytime.  :good:

NailBuster
                            @nailbuster
                            ModeratorMember

cool…  when I get a chance I’ll pass you some updated files to test to see if it fixes it on your system.

thanks.

the_greeze
                            Participant
                              @thegreeze

No problem, I’d be happy to help  8-)

You wouldn’t be able shed any light on this would you???  :wacko:

NailBuster
                                @nailbuster
                                ModeratorMember

strange….but both your problems could be related.  I haven’t heard anyone with a ‘playlist’ not found issue…..  you may want to re-install the PUPstuffs and ensure all your paths/folders/….  did you follow the video on install?

the_greeze
                                Participant
                                  @thegreeze

Yeah, pretty sure I did TBH. However, I’ll re-do the setup and watch your video again just to be sure.

I’ll let you know…

the_greeze
                                  Participant
                                    @thegreeze

Okay, I’ve sorted it!

I had three rogue files in the PinUpPlayer/PUPVideos/trn_174h folder. These ones: “playlists.pup”, “screens.pup” and “triggers.pup”. I think  I accidentally  created them when fiddling with PinUpPlayerB2SConfig. D’oh.

Anyway, I have removed them and the topper videos now work. Also, it seems that my running process issue has gone away. You were right, they appear to be related.

Thank you for the help.  :yes:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?