Our Build – Radiant Silverball

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    -RpT
    Participant
      @rpt

@LynnInDenver the cab looks great!

as a wise man once told me, as soon as it’s playable your progress on the completing hardware will sloooooowww   ;)

Thanks for sharing  the build :good:

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

Well, yes, that was definitely expected.

Tables are all configured (just in time for four more I get to add tonight). I swapped the wired mouse and keyboard for a wireless set that was being used on Legacy of the Stick, so I don’t have to leave the coin door open while working on software. Both cabinets survived the first encounter with guests. The only real issue I’m having is with the Mouse Plunger software by @Nailbuster. It seems to like to go to sleep (and stop letting me plunge), and I have to get out of the front end to close and restart it to get manual plungers to work again.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

NailBuster
          @nailbuster

@LynnInDenver

If I understand what you’re saying.  I’d guess that the issue is your wireless mouse going to sleep, not the plunger interface…  Don’t think anyone has tried it with a wireless mouse(if that’s what you did?).  Not heard of any issues with the mouse plunger software… and surprisingly… a LOT of people are using it, didn’t expect the #’s actually :)

LynnInDenver
          Participant
            @lynnindenver

@LynnInDenver

If I understand what you’re saying.  I’d guess that the issue is your wireless mouse going to sleep, not the plunger interface…  Don’t think anyone has tried it with a wireless mouse(if that’s what you did?).  Not heard of any issues with the mouse plunger software… and surprisingly… a LOT of people are using it, didn’t expect the #’s actually :)

It’s a wired mouse… a Kensington I had some issues with the mouse wheel on.

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

20190514_215508

Just one physical change. Got the temporary bezel cut and installed. Just black foamcore. I should be able to use it to measure and cut out a proper panel later. Even with this, it’s a substantial improvement in the appearance of the machine… and it hides that the monitors are just slightly tilted compared to the cab roof and floor.

I’ve gotten Pinup Popper completely set up now, all media is in place except for a couple of wheels for the more recent tables, and all installed tables are set up with the intended POV for the build. I believe my table count is 484 now. I need to decide what I’m going to do for DMD media on non-DMD tables – with an LCD, most of the DMD front end media that’s available out there looks awful.

At this point, we need to get past the Pinball Showdown and Gameroom Expo before I can continue serious work on the cab. I’ll need to buy a set of siderails and glass guides to go on, and find a local place to order a sheet of tempered glass (I’ll probably get a replacement glass for our real pinball while I’m doing that). Oh, and it’ll be time to disassemble this beast to slap some paint and stencils on it.

Nemo
              Participant
                @nemo

Yeah, looking good ! cant wait to see the artwork on it, curious how it will turn out  :good:

CastilianFly
                Participant
                  @castilianfly

Nice work on both the pincab and mame cab, clean. Your pedestal mame cab is similar to the one I built. Except like RandR, I only need the 2 player controller setup. Lol

LynnInDenver
                  Participant
                    @lynnindenver

And got the first tantalizing hints of DOF running via Pinscape’s LED-WIZ style controls.

LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

No video, but I got the LEDs over to the PWM side of the Pinscape… and quickly found out that, while it drives the Start and Extra Ball at an acceptable brightness (they were too bright before), the Launch Ball button lamp is no longer driven bright enough at all (3.2V from the Pinscape, the LED bulbs I use really need at least 5V and are actually happier on 6V). My solution? I still have some wedge bulb adapters from the Comet Pinball lighting modification kits I bought for Solar Ride (since that uses bayonets), so I yanked all the stuff out of one of those housings, stuffed a 5mm red LED I just happened to have in place of the original adapter guts, and wired up a resistor inline with that socket to prevent severely overdriving that LED.

LynnInDenver
                      Participant
                        @lynnindenver

20190819_212801

So, side project time. 30 hours of printing later, I have Radiant Silverball’s “icon” logo as a physical object. I just have to consider what sort of stand I need to install to mount it as a topper once the cabinet’s painted.

20190819_212913

For the record, the icon is based (loosely) on the player ships from Radiant Silvergun. Yes, it’s pretty much just four flipper bats attached to a silverball.

goodGRIEFF76
                        Participant
                          @goodgrieff76

Great job!  I always love seeing builds people have crafted themselves!   Thank you for sharing!

LynnInDenver
                          Participant
                            @lynnindenver

So, starting to acquire the pieces for cabinet feedback… at least any of the vintage ones we’ll need. Found a reasonable deal on a working, complete set of Gottlieb EM chimes. Rebuild kit is coming in from Marco later this week, which I’ll only install because I’ll have it and I’ll be tearing these down for cleaning anyway, the chimes don’t seem to actually need it.

20191030_165745

Now I just need to determine exactly how I want to drive coils in the build. But first, I really need to get the cab art designed and printed (my husband wants that to be the priority), we’ve kind of missed the window for stencil painting the cab right now. But part of that is getting some estimates at a few local sign shops.

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

So, given the end of life of Windows 7, and that I was due for a boost anyway, I built a new Windows 10 computer for my daily driver… which meant I could trade out the refurbished machine we bought for Radiant Silverball for my old desktop machine. Similar processor (i5, same class, I forget exactly which one), but a much beefier video card and better all around.

I’ve encountered one problem, and hopefully there’s a good fix for this… the Pinscape board doesn’t get completely cut off from power when the machine is powered down. I get the LED flashing yellow every couple of seconds. Eventually, the Pinscape will lock up and have to be unplugged. I’ve tried all the machine’s ports, and it’s the same result, even plugging it in when powered off.

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr

Look in bios and disable “USB charging if powered off ” or something like that new pc’s have powered always usb option so you can power usb devices like a phone when pc is turned off.

********************************************************
                                Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                for IOS and Android

LynnInDenver
                                Participant
                                  @lynnindenver

MJR basically gave the same recommendation as a secondary option.

LynnInDenver
                                  Participant
                                    @lynnindenver

OK, poked into the ASUS bios for the machine, and got it to not keep the Pinscape alive while powered off.

I also swapped out the @nailbuster cheap mouse plunger, and fitted the Pinscape plunger using a pot, so I got one piece of software out.

The “new” core provides enough power that UltraDMD is no longer a drag the way it was on the old core, and it’s working with Freezy, but I’m watching the FlexDMD with interest, it looks like it’s going to wind up in use on Radiant Silverball once it’s out of Alpha.

I still need to copy all the PinUp media from the old machine, before I drop that into the MAME machine to improve that situation… not that it’s horrible there, but I’d like to try to get Gauntlet Legends up and running on that cab.

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

So, the MAME machine is switched out now, so now I need to figure out what to do with an old Optiplex CoreDuo.

On another front, I reinstalled Steam on the Radiant Silverball, and did a lot of fiddling to get FX3 and Zaccaria working with the plunger. Zaccaria has some serious teething pains with trying to run multiple tables without restarting the software, I get black screens after the first one. I still need to integrate both into the menus, along with Pro Pinball Ultra Timeshock and Pinball Wicked, the last of which I sent the message in asking for activation of the cabinet mode. FX3, I need to determine whether it’s just their original tables, or if I go ahead and use their Bally/Williams stuff. Pinball Arcade is NOT going on there.

I’ve also got new wiring supplies coming in, dupont connector housings with precrimped wires and screw terminals and bus bars, so I can redo a large part of the control wiring; specifically I want to get it to where I don’t have to bring the soldering iron over to add more stuff to the Pinscape controller, I can just strip the end of a wire and shove it under a screw. This will make it easier to add features to and to maintain existing features. I may wind up moving the coin door lights over to running off the PC power instead of the wall wart.

JR
                                      Participant
                                        @jfr1

Good luck with all the re-furbishing!  More pics!  I also moved to a pinscape/pot plunger recently but I gotta say, Nailbuster’s mouse/paint stick creation is perhaps one of the most bizarre things I’ve come across.  Leaving it in the cab.. as a back-up!?…or just because.  When I showed it to people they were – “wait, your doing this..with that?”  lol

LynnInDenver
                                        Participant
                                          @lynnindenver

Good luck with all the re-furbishing! More pics! I also moved to a pinscape/pot plunger recently but I gotta say, Nailbuster’s mouse/paint stick creation is perhaps one of the most bizarre things I’ve come across. Leaving it in the cab.. as a back-up!?…or just because. When I showed it to people they were – “wait, your doing this..with that?” lol

No plans on using the mouse plunger as a backup. The biggest issue we had with it was that 15-20% of the time, you’d release the plunger, and it wouldn’t register it was released. I could probably have done some position fiddling with it to get it to be more reliable, but ultimately it was easier to just do the pot. And I’d had issues where the mouse would sleep out and require the mouse plunger software to be closed and reopened.

LynnInDenver
                                          Participant
                                            @lynnindenver

OK, so parts are incoming for the next stage. Can I get this machine in a show-ready state in three months for The Pinball Showdown and Gameroom Expo, and also find a way to get it to that show? We’ll have to see.

24V of power supply is in to drive solenoids. 8-port USB Sainsmart should be in tomorrow to control that driving. Siderails for a Black Knight are on order from Marco, hopefully in a week, and I’ll be putting in inquiries for printing of the side art. I’ll also need to pick up some bits of wood; I found out the top of the sidewalls has bowed outward a little bit (over 1/8″), and I was planning on building in some underframing into the cab under the monitor anyway (if only so that we don’t drop the panel deeply into the main cabinet, done that once and thankfully it was empty in there), so I can use that to help pull it all into parallel before cutting the glass channel slots. Once I have all the art on and siderails installed I can figure out how big a piece of tempered glass I really need to get; the machine is just slightly so much wider than an older widebody that I don’t think I could just order the glass from Marco, and it’ll probably be cheaper to get it locally anyway. I also need to see if I can get a lock with a key that matches the locks on Solar Ride; worst case, I can always buy a replacement lock for Solar Ride’s backbox and fit that lock onto Radiant Silverball so that at least the two coin doors have the same key.

Steam apps are now properly integrated within the front end, everything launches and runs happily. The buttons also light up in the FX3 builds of games like Medieval Madness. Hyperspace Pinball did NOT care for the nudge feature on the Pinscape, oddly enough.

My husband prefers the FX3 version of Medieval Madness over the VPX version.

The biggest issues are how well I can deal with the extra depth of the playfield area in relation to the siderails, and getting the first solenoid DOF bits actually running. Oh, and figuring out how to install a plexiglass panel over the backbox monitors.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 59 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?