Unconventional Design: VegaPin (43"/24")

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Sascha
    Participant
      @sascha

Hej Dear Pinheadz

I use to play a lot of Pinball when I was young, but with Age this Passion went a bit to sleep. But just Yesterday i got caught by the Fascination of Virtual Pinballs. I watched all the Tutorials of that Dude scorpius (www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnKXIRK4-J4&list=PLZU98v6HPzNYCxOazPkDtTbBKPIAzi14V) and i was completely blown away. I didnt know something like this even existed and now here i am. One night later, barely slept an hour and already planned my own pinball cabinet: 43″/24″ Screens, zebsboards all in one VP-Kit, visual pinball with a PinballX frontend.

Initial Sketch:

Visualize your Goal for Motivation ;-)

Tipping Analysis looks pretty good

Place might be an issue here. But if things get packed i can still enlarge the lower belly on the front to get some more space.

Since Im a complete Noob to VPs a lot of – maybe useless – questions pop up. The Most recent one is this:
      Focussing on the angle and placement of the playfield-screen and the playfielt glass is saw, that a lot of cabinet designs carry the screen parallel to the floor and only the glass is angled at 6 degrees up.
      Is there any practical reason for that? Cause logically it makes no sense to me: The virtual tables are already styled in a kind of 3D-Style where a virtual pinball-backwall is already included. So the playfield itself should be angles at 6 degrees as well; or do i miss on somenting. And a angled playfield would improve the viewing angle on the screen and thus improve the perceptual color quality of the screen innit?

And another Question for you VP-Grandmasters out there …
      i decided to split my built into several phases:

0. PLANNING IT OUT
      – Gather Knowledge
      – Lock Design
      – Draw Plans
      – Structural Analysis
      – Final Plans for WoodCut und Assembly
      – Shopping List

1. IT
      – Buy Screens
      – Buy Computer Parts
      – Computer Up And Runnin
      – install VP/PinballX/Roms/etc.
      – Test the System

2. ELECTRONICS/MECHANICS
      – Buy Controller Boards an Lights/FF-Accessories
      – Wire/Solder Components
      – Hook up to Computer
      – Test Setup

3. CAB
      – Buy Wood and Saw according to Plans
      – Screw Cab together
      – Apply Decals/Design
      – Fit Plexi-Glasses

4. PUT IT TOGETHER
      – Place Components into Cab
      – Test if everything is working
      – final tunes and fixes
      – Assemble & Screw Everything together
      – Final Tests
      – Prosecco Run

Does that look like a good Plan or am I missing something or
      would you put things in another Sequence?

Thanx 4 ya help

______
      Check out my Vegapin Build-Log
      http://sascharossier.com/?p=2007

______

Sascha
      Participant
        @sascha

Started to assemble the heart of the beast:

Intel Core i5-6600K on a Supermicro C7H170-M, Gigabyte GTX 950 Xtreme R and 8GB DDR4 powered by a Corsair HX850W

______

______

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr

I sure admire your creativity! very interesting design and really looking forward to seeing this built!

Couple questions…
          Do you plan on installing a DMD display? you must have a DMD for all the classic pinball tables or emulation of the table just wont be realistic.

Does design allow room for feedback toys? lights, shaker, gear motor, 10 contactors do take up some space is there room for those?

again neat idea and looking forward to seeing this built!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

for IOS and Android

Sascha
          Participant
            @sascha

hej randr

Thanx for the propz. I plan to integrate the DMD on the Backglass digitally via the B2S (if i understood the workflow properly. Im still figuring out how all comes together ;-) Ill get the Zebsboards All-In-One-Kit (http://www.zebsboards.com/media/kunena/attachments/17/AllInOneFeedbackKitAssemblyInstructionsRev2.pdf) that ships with 8 Solenoids, 2 Contactors, Shaker, Knocker and a Gear-Motor. So yes … i plan to have feedback and lightshow … the full package. And as far as i could plan everything on my CAD-Soft it will all fit in. itll be a bit packed, but will fit in ;-)

I saw your Videos on the Programmable LEDs … looks awesome! But its probably 2 or 3 Levels above my Head. I did some research and after reading the info i had tho recognize that this programmable LED-stuff is to complicated for me to understand ;-)) yet … maybe ;-)

______

______

Sascha
            Participant
              @sascha

Change of Plans!

After installing Pinball FX 2 on my laptop an playin some games (actually ive played untill late in the morning)

i am totally blown away by these modern Tables. Since I wasnt neccessarily searching for a “real” Pinball-Machine,

I just planned to have a “cool” Pinball-Machine, Ive found my Definition of “Cool” with pfx2. To be honest

im absolutely blown away!

So im gonna build my Cab around a Steam-Powered PFX2.

Is there somebody who already dealt with the following question regarding pfx2/cabinet:

1. Is it possible to integrate nudge/tilt with PFX2? (maybe with one of zebs boards or a pincontrol1)
              2. Is it possible to integrate LED Stripes and Flashers with PFX2? (Cmpatibility with Zebsboards or LedWiz?)
              3. Is it possible to integrate Force-Feedback (i saw it was possible for the flippers, but what about the bumpers & Co.?)

Would be supernice if someone could lend me a hand.

______

______

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr

1: yes works just like xbox controller
                2: sorta you can use ledblinky to have lights trigger with sounds
                3: no

for IOS and Android

for IOS and Android

Sascha
                Participant
                  @sascha

Wow … randr … thanx for the quick help. I didnt know about LEDblinky. Really Cool Stuff!

So I can setup a pac-LED64 board, connect 64 LEDs and use ledblinky to animate the LEDS following the game sounds. nothing more needed, innit?

And how about force-feedback on the cheap: Would it be possible to rewire a torn down xBOX 360 controller to the flipper, nudge, start, …-Buttons … an mount the vibration-motors behind the lockdown-bar of the cab. So the vibration-motors would translate at least some forcefeedback onto the cab right where the Players Hands are?
                  Could that work?

______

______

PaSSion
                  Participant
                    @adrian

Looks Awesome C

Sascha
                    Participant
                      @sascha

Thanx Adrian ;-)

And from a barebone technical Standpoint it already seems to work well ;-)

______

______

Sascha
                      Participant
                        @sascha

______

______

Phil Docker
                        Participant
                          @dock

Your design reminds me of one of these games:

TAB Austria's Virtual Pinball

I nearly managed to get one a couple of months ago in the UK but the vendor wanted way too much money for it (£800 GBP) – I was going to put a back box on it like on your design.

Great idea. Look forward to seeing you build this.

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr

Sure like watching progress of builds! Keep the updates coming!

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

for IOS and Android

Josh
                            Participant
                              @osujd

Not to highjack this thread to much, but randr you mentioned that you are able to use LED blinky to trigger lights with sounds. Do you happen to have any instructions on how to do this in Pinballx. I have scoured the forums and most use hyperpin but aren’t real clear on how to do it in Pinball x.

Jesperpark
                              Participant
                                @jesperpark

Just my 2 cents but I would setup and plan to run both Visual pinball and Pinball FX2. Or at least design around the ability to add all the feedback toys at a later date. My first Mini pin was a 24″ play field with a 17″ back glass, i loved that thing until i played a full sized machine with feedback… I was ruined after that.

The Separate DMD really does add to the experience and can be setup to run in FX2, the feedback is the icing on the cake. You will end up wanting all the toys eventually.

Love the design!! :good:

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr

Yes of coarse you can. First you need to configure ledblinky for the outputs! Then just add this to your pinballx for that system(see picture attached)

for IOS and Android

Attachments:

for IOS and Android

Josh
                                  Participant
                                    @osujd

Can you post your led blinky start and stop bat files….I have generated an input map and created an all on sound.lwax file. Are there other lwax files I need to generate? If I run LEDBlinky config in test mode with the sound.lwax it behaves like I want it.

randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr

sure you will need to mod them for your setup but I will attach them below

for IOS and Android

Attachments:

for IOS and Android

Sascha
                                      Participant
                                        @sascha

Hej Jester
                                        Absolutely. The Cab was designed with all the Bells an Whistles in Mind. Space will be packed with all the solenoids and boards but it will fit in. So I can upgrade to full force feedback later on.

@ Phil: Yepp … this design is definitely inspired by those TAB-Cabs. Ive stumbled over the design on the Web and wanted to buy a TAB-Cab first. But prices are very steep and the games/tables are very limited not to say: pfx2 and VP blows the TAB-Tables out of the Water with a breeze … so I thought id create a own Design basing on the TABs.

@randr
                                        : thanx for the hints! Ill get my LedWIZes, Buttons and Lights next week … and then ill be testin tha LedWIZ and Ledblinky-Setup as well. Looking forward to it!

Right after Easter ill be dealing with the Woodwork ;-) Ill get some help from a friend, a Carpenter … he said: “Bro, itll take half a day max to build this cab … and you know what … ill build a second one for myself right away” ;-)

______

______

Josh
                                        Participant
                                          @osujd

randr quick one I notice that almost all instructions I have seen have an audio.lwax including your .bat. I don’t see that in my lwax folder in LEDblinky. Is this something you created? I get the process for the most part but am confused how I put LEDblinky in the Audio listening mode through command line

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr

You can call any “pattern” that’s just one I liked but I do have purchased copy of ledblinky I recall limited features of the free one but been long time since I’ve had to deal with setting it up. Does it work when you do it manually just not through ledblinky? If so call your pattern or does a nag screen popup on ledblinky when you launch? I can look tonight if you need me to

for IOS and Android

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?