VP10 – Is it all its cracked up to be ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    TrackMaD
    Participant
      @me2010

Hell Yeah, well i had my doubts but they where unfounded. Just been playing this update for about an hour before i hit the sack, pretty amazing show on my cab.
      http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30784&page=94#entry320007
      Download:
      http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30784&page=60#entry313471″

boomshakalaka

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Vp10 is very much all it’s cracked up to be! Great stuff!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Sliderpoint
        Participant
          @sliderpoint
          MemberContributor

Since there was a conscience decision to break backwards compatibility in exchange for technical advancements, I have to say there are a few features that I’m disappointed are not being looked at for VP10. I for one would like to see a different renderer (is that a word?) with volumetric lighting done now as opposed to making another significant change again later. Or maybe they don’t think it will ever happen? I’m not a developer so I can’t contribute in that sense. It’s definitely the thing that bothers me the most about VP, the lighting is always “Faked”. It can be faked alot better in VP10, but still faked.

-Mike

freneticamnesic
            @freneticamnesic
            vipModeratorMember

I think it would be a big project for them. It’s just 2 guys now… well mjr is doing some stuff too but not sure how involved he is. I’ve got a long wish list myself but they’ve continued to surprise me. The reflections were a great addition – it broke a couple of my tables but I guess I knew what I was getting into with this beta business.

Punch it!

TrackMaD
            Participant
              @me2010

What impresses me the most ( apart of-course from the fact they share their work ) is all the authors love to help each other out if needed, especially considering the amount of revisions at this beta stage of development where things change so quickly, fren again helping with Tommy is just one example :good: .
              With Vp10 i’m mainly happy that the tables are still all running smoothly and at full framerates with all that added detail, because i’m sure most users would only be using their spare PC in their cabs and would like to get the most out of it without having to upgrade their hardware.
              The Future looks bright and getting my shades on B-)

boomshakalaka

Sliderpoint
              Participant
                @sliderpoint
                MemberContributor

Yeah, don’t get me wrong, VP10 is awesome. And actually the thing I like the most is the new light object. I was never smart enough to understand how the fading light script stuff in older versions worked, so I really like how much easier that is in VP10.

Itchigo
                Participant
                  @itchigo

I appreciate the efforts of all involved. But when they broke compatibility that hurt me. I have like 700 tables on my cab, and I’m not going to start from scratch. I just don’t have the time. Then they change the scripting so I feel really outdated…. :scratch:

Be a Rogue! http://roguepinball.com/ Full Screen DirectB2s Tables no one else has!

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

I have a ton of vp9 tables aswell! Many thanks to the rogue and the great em’s you have over there! But pinballx can run vp10, vp9, physmod whatever so no big deal to have all running perfectly on cab :)

for IOS and Android

TrackMaD
                    Participant
                      @me2010

I appreciate the efforts of all involved. But when they broke compatibility that hurt me. I have like 700 tables on my cab, and I’m not going to start from scratch. I just don’t have the time. Then they change the scripting so I feel really outdated…. :scratch:

Hey itchigo , i know what you mean, but like randr said that users like me will still be running all the other versions from pinballx, so all the great EM’s i have from you on my cab really don’t need updating IMHO, i think only the kids need all the lights bangs and whistles, the PS4/XBOX1 generation, us older folk appreciate things for what they are.

Hopefully by VP10 final, things will be clearer and all the ongoing new changes implemented might end up in a standardized form , like templates applicable to all new tables so us mere mortals can have a go at it too.

boomshakalaka

Itchigo
                      Participant
                        @itchigo

I know about multiple .exe’s, but I haven’t tried setting it up- no time. Then there’s maintaining another .xml. Randr has more tables than I do, but this is mainly because he has multiples of a lot of stuff. (PM5, etc) On the other hand I have no duplicates, with 700 working 2 screen tables. I saw his xml a while back, we each have a few the other doesn’t have. I just want to have 1 version.

Couple this with maintaining a working setup, maintaining Rogue downloads. (Everytime someone uploads I upload it to my filesharer to back things up, and change the download link). Doing FS conversions for PBecker1946, and I have 51 hours in at work this week, so far…

Be a Rogue! http://roguepinball.com/ Full Screen DirectB2s Tables no one else has!

TrackMaD
                        Participant
                          @me2010

I totally understand where your coming from mate, it seems the older we get the less time we have to do the things we enjoy in our spare time and changes in systems we establish for ourselves to keep on top things come crashing down and feel like we need to start new with a fresh system that we haven’t got the time or patience to do. I’m hearing you, we need robots to do all the mundane day to day tasks that keep us from enjoying this one time event called Life.

boomshakalaka

blisse
                          Participant
                            @blisse

With what kind of hardware you’re running VPX? I had to buy new graphics card yesterday to be able to play anything on VPX. Now it runs quite ok but on multiballs and such it still stutters a lot. So maybe I’ve to get new processor too? :) Or it just could be because I’m running Windows 10 :|

TrackMaD
                            Participant
                              @me2010

With what kind of hardware you’re running VPX? I had to buy new graphics card yesterday to be able to play anything on VPX. Now it runs quite ok but on multiballs and such it still stutters a lot. So maybe I’ve to get new processor too? :) Or it just could be because I’m running Windows 10 ?

Hey mate, I’m running a very basic system : WIn7 64bit Ultimate , Intel i5 3.10ghz (not overclocked) , 8gigs DDR3 RAM , Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2gig (not overclocked).

I can tell you most people use win7 or XP if that helps, but i mainly just played around with the video card settings until i got a steady 60 FPS from all my tables and installed a little dos based program that apparently uses all your ram and dosen’t limit programs to 4GB (sorry can’t remember the name).

Try enabling Fast FXAA in vp10beta video options and see if the stutter goes away.

boomshakalaka

blisse
                              Participant
                                @blisse

Thanks for answering. Your system actually sounds pretty much the same that I have. I will check more exact details when I get home from work and do some comparison. I bought GTX 750 Ti so that should not be the problem. Hopefully it is not the windows 10 either since I don’t want to reinstall everything again so hopefully by tweaking the settings of graphics card does the trick. Thanks again dude

TrackMaD
                                Participant
                                  @me2010

OK mate hope that helps. Also Not sure if this applies to Windows 10 , but check this first to make sure your system is using all available memory :
                                  1. Check your system properties
                                  (If it says “x.xx usable”)
                                  2. Click on the start button, search “msconfig” and press enter.
                                  3. Go to the boot tab and click advanced options
                                  4. UNTICK the “Maximum memory” box
                                  5. Click ok, on the small dialog box
                                  6. Click apply and OK in the big dialog box.
                                  7. Restart and check your system properties.

Then Enable Fast FXAA in vp10beta video options and the stutter should go away, mine will stutter if this is not enabled and i can’t tell the difference if there is any loss in quality or not.

boomshakalaka

Itchigo
                                  Participant
                                    @itchigo

Blisse, I CAN run vp 10, but I don’t actively play it. So demanding tables, I can’t say. But under VP9, everything runs great. VP 10, I can fire up a new table to check it out for a while, and that’s about all I do with it.

Merkurri2006: Do you have a 2400k processor? That’s what I have and w/o overclocking it’s 3.1. Figured I’d ask as it sounds familiar. I have noticed that since I reformatted my ssd, my boot times have stayed the same/gone up. I think it’s about 1 minute to login screen/versus 45 seconds with my sata on a C: partition. In all reality the 1 minute is meaningless, but when I hear about Randr’s 15 seconds or so, I say wth?

blisse
                                    Participant
                                      @blisse

Finally back home. Apperantly I have AMD Athlon x4 635 with 6gb of memory (I told my friends I’ll build a pinball cabinet, send me your old computers – and this is what i got).

I will try to tweak those 3d settings and see how that affects. Thanks guys

Edit:
                                      Ok, I tweaked some settings and now it’s much much better. FPS was quite steadily somewhere over 100. I noticed that when I play for example Star Trek it first skip a lot of frames but slowly “warms up”. Probably it loads something and then caches it and then it just works.

toxie
                                      Participant
                                        @toxie
                                        VP DEVMember

I for one would like to see a different renderer (is that a word?) with volumetric lighting done now as opposed to making another significant change again later. Or maybe they don’t think it will ever happen? I’m not a developer so I can’t contribute in that sense. It’s definitely the thing that bothers me the most about VP, the lighting is always “Faked”. It can be faked alot better in VP10, but still faked.

We opt’ed to go this route to still have the rendering fast, even on not-so-awesome systems.
                                        But we may revisit this with a potential 10.1 version, so that one can have real lights everywhere.

randr
                                        Keymaster
                                          @randr
                                          ModeratorMember

Blighting is so nice in vp10 now can’t wait for vp10.1 computers are cheap people need to keep up with tech software shouldn’t be held back due to old hardware. Great stuff ahead for sure!

********************************************************
                                          for IOS and Android

********************************************************

fuzzel
                                          Participant
                                            @fuzzel
                                            VP DEV

Just to give you some quick infos why VP10 hasn’t all this shiny Unity/Unreal4 features like in Unit3DP or Pinball Labs:
                                            changing the render engine is a big thing. Switching the render engine to use Unity/Unreal4 would mean a complete rewriting of the software.
                                            volumentric lighting can be a performance killer. Don’t compare VP with big blockbuster game titles where you have a big developing team. Those games are faking too but more with special made graphics/textures and 3D scene layout. VP is totaly open in the way how you can build a table and that makes it hard sometimes to just add features like dynamic lighting/shadow casting.
                                            compatibility in how you can build tables in VP. Sounds a bit strange because we already broke compatibility but the core workflow is still the same. The workflow would change dramatically if we would just change to use dynamic rendering of all table elements because nearly every VPX table would have perfomance issues, even on high end cards ;) To fix those performance drops would mean to use only mesh primitives and combine them as much as possible. But I guess that would offend some authors too much ;)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?