Key mapping confusion

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stiffboard
    Participant
      @stiffboard

I’m a bit confused with the key assignment. Using iPAC2 and trying to figure out something smart here…not going very well.

Why is flippers and plunger and so on assigned in PinballX? Doesn’t Visual Pinball settings apply when a table is started? Should key settings in Visual Pinball and PinballX be identical?

Is there a best practice for key assignment that works well with everything? Also, tried Steam Pinball Arcade, but there I kinda need different keys. Anyone succesful with getting all this to work well?

Got flippers, magna save, three buttons in front, and plunger button to play with.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

You have perfect amount of buttons so just setup all on iPac to match the default vp keyboard preferences all should work great. You may have to change emulator exit in Pinballx but that should be about all

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Stiffboard
        Participant
          @stiffboard

Ok, maybe should’ve left all default on VP then… Once you start changing things it gets more and more complicated. Use P for plunger and that wasn’t a good idea since Pinballx use that as Pause, removed that but now somehow it was back  :scratch:

And then whether or not you change disable Esc… Should I use Q or Esc for quitting? Considering I might want to get Pinball Arcade to work later on?

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

I use esc with no problems

for IOS and Android

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

No reason to play anything else than VP IMO. Everything else just sux.

32assassin
              Participant
                @32assassin

I’m a bit confused with the key assignment. Using iPAC2 and trying to figure out something smart here…not going very well. Why is flippers and plunger and so on assigned in PinballX? Doesn’t Visual Pinball settings apply when a table is started? Should key settings in Visual Pinball and PinballX be identical? Is there a best practice for key assignment that works well with everything? Also, tried Steam Pinball Arcade, but there I kinda need different keys. Anyone succesful with getting all this to work well? Got flippers, magna save, three buttons in front, and plunger button to play with.

Unless you can wire a button to your Ipac to have 2 separate key inputs

why would they not be identical?

Visual Pinball settings are applied when you load the table,  but how are you supposed to control PinballX when the table is not started?

Flippers in PinballX  move your table selection (left and right)

Magna buttons SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!  be mapped to your letter jumps,  unless you want to navigate thought hundreds of tables

if you wan’t to keep your Ipac use the default Visual Pinball keys,  and remap PinballX to match those settings

(given that an Ipac is pre configured to have MAME button inputs you might need to reprogram your Ipac to include all the default Visual Pinball keys)

the best practical set up is to get rid of your Ipac (keyboard encoder)  and use a joystick encoder.

You will find out that allot of modern PC games do not fully support keyboard inputs.

Some are pre configured to work with an Xbox360 controller.

You will need a 3rd party software in order to use a PS3 or a generic joystick controller.

I do not use TPA,  I can’t tell you if this is a problem you will face.   All I can tell you is; You would not have this problem if you had a joystick encoder.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Tpa works fine with the iPac everything else 32 said is spot on!

for IOS and Android

Stiffboard
                  Participant
                    @stiffboard

No reason to play anything else than VP IMO. Everything else just sux.

:) …nah…the Pinball Arcade tables looked pretty nice, better than I expected, but they don’t play very well, ridicolously easy to hit the same ramp over and over again, til you get bored of the whole table. And as for now I’m having trouble getting VP tables going with DMD, backglass and all… Nice to look at something ready out of the box. :)

Stiffboard
                    Participant
                      @stiffboard

I’m a bit confused with the key assignment. Using iPAC2 and trying to figure out something smart here…not going very well. Why is flippers and plunger and so on assigned in PinballX? Doesn’t Visual Pinball settings apply when a table is started? Should key settings in Visual Pinball and PinballX be identical? Is there a best practice for key assignment that works well with everything? Also, tried Steam Pinball Arcade, but there I kinda need different keys. Anyone succesful with getting all this to work well? Got flippers, magna save, three buttons in front, and plunger button to play with.

Unless you can wire a button to your Ipac to have 2 separate key inputs why would they not be identical? Visual Pinball settings are applied when you load the table, but how are you supposed to control PinballX when the table is not started? Flippers in PinballX move your table selection (left and right) Magna buttons SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!! be mapped to your letter jumps, unless you want to navigate thought hundreds of tables if you wan’t to keep your Ipac use the default Visual Pinball keys, and remap PinballX to match those settings (given that an Ipac is pre configured to have MAME button inputs you might need to reprogram your Ipac to include all the default Visual Pinball keys) the best practical set up is to get rid of your Ipac (keyboard encoder) and use a joystick encoder. You will find out that allot of modern PC games do not fully support keyboard inputs. Some are pre configured to work with an Xbox360 controller. You will need a 3rd party software in order to use a PS3 or a generic joystick controller. I do not use TPA, I can’t tell you if this is a problem you will face. All I can tell you is; You would not have this problem if you had a joystick encoder.

What I experienced was when I started a game and used Plunger = P in a vpx table, PinballX had P for pause, so dead end there. I removed the pause from PinballX, no key at all, but then suddenly it was back. So both softwares are able to catch keystrokes. I was wrong about the flippers in Pinballx, no such thing, but  I set flippers to left and right arrow as both Pinballx and future pinball use left and right, different purpose, but that also seemed to be a mistake. Takes some time to figure out how programs interact with one another. Hence stupid questions. Best to avoid stupid questions if they are annoying.

32assassin
                      Participant
                        @32assassin

its not a stupid question, its just that some people try to reinvent the wheel with stupid results.

take a look at the xtension arcade pinball maping

WTF is that,   arrow keys for menu control?

magna buttons for credit keys

do they even know that the 5 and 6 key are HARD CODED to be credit keys in the Visual Pinball VBS scripts.

You would be adding a credit to your game every time you press the magna key, even if you changed them in the VP settings menu.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                        https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        Stiffboard
                        Participant
                          @stiffboard

its not a stupid question, its just that some people try to reinvent the wheel with stupid results.

Good points above…and that’s exactly the reason for my question, to try not to invent the wheel again. But there are several software’s to consider here, and somehow I keep experiencing settings reset themselves…doesn’t really make things easier. Guess I’m at trial and error, might even write a best practise if I get the hang of it all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?