'Poor Man's DOF' – Has evolved to become AWESOME!

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

A lot of it is due to you @Rustycardores ! All great stuff

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

RustyCardores
        @rustycardores
        MemberModerator

Thanks randr, but as I’ve said before, all I do is get drunk and try stupid things ;)   Sadly, I lack the expertise to bring these sorts of things to their absolute best, but that is where the vPin community is so good. The talent, knowledge, expertise and of course the willingness to help seems to know no bounds.  If we could bottle this stuff we could sell it. lol

RustyCardores
          @rustycardores
          MemberModerator

I’ve finally completed my SSFLEDs (formerly PMDLEDs) and wired the under and back cab lighting to the unused side of the trigger relays.  Now when the playfield lights trigger on, the underside/back lights trigger off.  All of these lights are “hard triggered” from SSF and no ambient sound triggers are being used.

I wish I still had my dark little arcade area from my previous house, as the effect is most pronounced in the player’s peripheral at night.  I think some blockout curtains are now on my shopping list. ;)

https://vimeo.com/331617232

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Yeah people will wonder just what the heck your up to! Looking good.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

Rickey
            Participant
              @rickh

Rusty,

That is utterly amazing!  BTW- Have you played with those addressable RGB LEDs?

Rick

RustyCardores
                @rustycardores
                MemberModerator

Rusty,

That is utterly amazing! BTW- Have you played with those addressable RGB LEDs?

Rick

Nope, all just regular single colour strips. When I first built the cab a few years ago, I just couldn’t get my head around the DOF/LED stuff.

knightrider
                Participant
                  @knightrdrx

i have a front (mechanical)and rear (game sounds)sub, rear and front flipper fidelity speakers and 2 lepai amps.

a separate soundcard for the mechanical sounds

i have the bass knob all the way up as well as the overall volume knob for the mechanical sounds

rom and music sounds i have almost no bass and volume about halfway because of the 80s pins (space shuttle being the loudest i think)

can anyone share their suggestions?  at times i think the mechanical sounds boom too much but i’m trying to get that vibration effect.

i don’t know much about crossover and i have windows volume at 50%

Windows volume has separate bars for the sound card and the onboard sound..i leave it set to the onboard sound which is the game sounds.

i haven’t tried pinvol yet. i don’t know what it does. it is so hard to find a balance with all these different tables

Genesis38
                  Participant
                    @genesis38

knightrider, PinVol is something you should try. Makes adjusting the volume for each table much easier, or your Global volume for all tables. I have both mapped to my flipper buttons by using them together with the extra ball button (shift function) and I don’t think I can live with out it. It also allows you to set night mode when you want to quiet things down with a push of a button.

Are you using any exciters for your setup? If you’re looking for that tactile feel, thats what these do. I have 4 in my setup and they are freaking amazing!!

knightrider
                    Participant
                      @knightrdrx

No exciters.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

Exciters isn’t needed to get better sound than most people. What is essential though is of course the what is supposed to be played in the backglass actually is. If that is turned around for you, you need to switch it around.

knightrider
                        Participant
                          @knightrdrx

I should turn my music amp volume knob to Max and let pinvol change  windows system level from table to table?

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

I have pinvol set for 20% and 80%. Kind of regular and night setting. For the 80% volume, the rom sound for most tables is tuned so volume is loud. The tables themselves are often around 70%. So, when I have friends over or wife is out and there is beer in the mix. I just do a temporary adjustment of the 80% to 100%. I have several ways of adjusting volume. Pinvol is however the “master” knob. Amps inside the cab can be crancked up a bit too, except for the one that controls the bass and backbox speakers. It is maxed out.

Rickey
                            Participant
                              @rickh

I cannot argue that exciters sound is as good as a quality speaker, it just ain’t so.  I will even go as far as saying that a speaker can produce adequate tactile response and haptics.   However, an exciter can produce superior tactile and haptics response with reduced audio volume.    In the cabinets I sell I use two exciters complimented with two full range speakers (I uses attenuators to balance the volume) and a small subwoofer.   The tactile response is very good.

Regards,

Rick

knightrider
                              Participant
                                @knightrdrx
                                1. One other thing. I willleave windows at 80% myself first then global can take a percentage of that. If pinvol didn’t launch for some reason then it will be blasting and might damage my system if I maxed out windows before setting up pinvol
                                knightrider
                                Participant
                                  @knightrdrx

How much lower do you have your mechanical sounds set thalamus vs rom and game volume?

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

You mention not destroying your speakers. That is the last option, tables start out at around 60%, but, they often end up at 70%. How I have it vs master ? Good question, been ages since I visited that slider. Would be surprised of it is not at max. You have to remember, we have different hardware. Here, exciters do exist, so I can also adjust with the volume on the amps. If everything else is optimal tuned. I can at this point use the amps and only adjust the volume on two amps for table sounds.

knightrider
                                    Participant
                                      @knightrdrx

Ok. Firepower is a good way to test. I let the ai play 4 player while tinkering with the knobs. 25% mechanical seems good what I’d like is some rrumblethat you get with Jurassic Park I don’t know if I’ll get that with my sound system without a Shaker motor

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?