What do we think of this ? VPDB ..

Viewing 12 posts - 141 through 152 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Sliderpoint
    Participant
      @sliderpoint
      MemberContributor

PS: Platform differences are simply a development job for us. Is that really the reason Paul gave? Can you show me the post? I approached Paul about this many times, several before we even started work on it. The main issue he claimed was he didn’t trust anyone.

No sorry, that was a run on between the two different sites.  I believe Freezy and RandR talked about it not being able to be integrated between VPDB and VPinball because of the plaftorms.  I don’t know about Pauls thoughts on it, but his comments (a long while back) seemed that he was much interested.

-Mike

Edit:  and the “I don’t think so” was in response to you killing the thread, not of VPDB altoghter. :good:

MnHotRod
      Participant
        @mnhotrod

Tom – Appreciate seeing your ability to seek feedback and listen to the community. With that, I absolutely love the current version of the VPDB website. Seriously, it is sweet. While I did make a comment earlier about the lack of community feel, I think that is something easy to address. There are a number of ways to incorporate that into the site, and may not even be needed. The user experience you have in place now is fantastic. Love having the ability to select each piece I want, whether it be roms, B2S or etc. Can’t wait to see the site grow with more content. I consider myself somewhat savvy at finding content, but I don’t have to be with your site, is all right there and so much faster.

As to adding the community piece, does it make sense to add a forum to the site for authors to discuss projects? Maybe create a thread and link to it when content is uploaded? Others have been doing this longer than I have. How do we keep authors interested in supporting the site?

Tom Speirs
        Participant
          @tspeirs

No sorry, that was a run on between the two different sites. I believe Freezy and RandR talked about it not being able to be integrated between VPDB and VPinball because of the plaftorms. I don’t know about Pauls thoughts on it, but his comments (a long while back) seemed that he was much interested. -Mike Edit: and the “I don’t think so” was in response to you killing the thread, not of VPDB altoghter. :good:

No worries and thanks for chiming in.

I guess we will see what Freezy thinks about it later. He’ the developer on this not me. He hadn’t mentioned that it had come up already.

Tom Speirs
          Participant
            @tspeirs

As to adding the community piece, does it make sense to add a forum to the site for authors to discuss projects? Maybe create a thread and link to it when content is uploaded? Others have been doing this longer than I have. How do we keep authors interested in supporting the site?

It does already provide links very prominently. It sounds like the main concern is the community aspect but another forum will mean another pinball site and we already have plenty of those :)  Its not meant to be competition.

I think the losing the community bit is a bit of a scaremonger thing personally. Although people obviously have concerns so they need to be addressed.

freezy
            Participant
              @freezy

I can see why some want to see more “social” features at VPDB, and while I won’t exclude that more of it will be added in the future, here are the main reasons why that’s not the case “yet”:

• Tech: Forum tech is boring. It has been done 10,000 times already and I don’t really want to code forum software number 10,001. I’ve checked for existing solutions and there isn’t much going on for the tech stack I’m using, and it needs to be integrated with my DB structure anyway so it might not even be worth the effort. I really love to innovate, and writing forum software isn’t exactly that.
              • Existing forums: There is already some fragmentation going on with all the current boards, so I didn’t want to just pop up another one. You guys are doing great here. I don’t think you need yet another board. VPDB lets you comment releases, but that’s more for complimenting the authors and short questions, and it’s not supposed to act like a forum. You do that much better already.
              • Cross-Linking: As Tom mentioned, authors can add links to the build threads, so interested users can learn more about the author and the process. While the links are well visible, they probably could be displayed even more prominently. Will think about that a little more.

I’ve given that comparison before, but think about VPDB as Imgur for virtual pinball. You can comment at Imgur, but the real discussion is usually going on at Reddit or the other sites linking to it. It works pretty well, and Reddit isn’t losing users or community spirit because people are linking to a site that exclusively hosts images.

That said, if you have any suggestions how to make it a better social experience in general without driving into forum territory, I’m all ears! :)

CarnyPriest
              Participant
                @carnypriest

MBPC tables are now available at vpdb.io

SAM too.

I think it’s @freezy and @arngrim that you can thank for making this available.

Table credits to TT&NZ, of course.

EDIT – I should say that it is some of the TT&NZ tables. Alessio’s and g5k’s and other contributors? No, those aren’t there.

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Very strange they would not up to vpu but I guess as long as new people can enjoy the tables it’s all good. Thanks for the info!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

@carnypriest haven’t they always been there?

for IOS and Android

CarnyPriest
                    Participant
                      @carnypriest

I don’t know. Maybe. I hadn’t been back there in a long time. Reason I checked was from a post by arngrim at PP just a couple of days ago. :unsure:

freneticamnesic
                        @freneticamnesic
                        vipModeratorMember

So now it has SAM?

Punch it!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        freezy
                        Participant
                          @freezy

MBPC tables are now available at vpdb.io

SAM too.

I think it’s @freezy and @arngrim that you can thank for making this available.

Table credits to TT&NZ, of course.

EDIT – I should say that it is some of the TT&NZ tables. Alessio’s and g5k’s and other contributors? No, those aren’t there.

You mainly have to thank @Fulltilt for uploading them and double-checking with the authors. We’re still waiting for a few authors to confirm, that’s why not everything is there.

And yes, we’ve decided to remove the SAM rule from VPDB.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

Well thanks @freezy and @fulltilt for getting those tables somewhere for people to enjoy! Good stuff for sure

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 12 posts - 141 through 152 (of 152 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?