4 ohm vs 8ohm exciters.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I added another amp so I would have 2 in the playfield with 2 exciters on each, 2 in front and 2 in back.  I noticed however that both sets of exciters were 25 watts but the old ones were 4 ohms and the new ones are 8 ohms.  Is that going to matter and why if so

njk70
      Participant
        @njk70

Google it and see how confused you can make yourself :)

It takes less power to run a 4-ohm speaker than an 8-ohm speaker to reach the same volume. This can be good if you have an underpowered amplifier, but not so good if you turn it up too loud. As long as your amplifier is spec’d to that impedance I think you should be fine. My amp claims 2-8 ohms. I’d use the same impedance on the left/right channels of a single amp otherwise they will probably play at different volumes. But one amp running 4ohms and one running 8ohms should be fine if the amp’s specifications say so.  You will probably fine that one of the amps has to be turned up more for the same volume.

The answer is a lot more complicated and I won’t attempt to butcher it here as I would surely get it wrong and we are pinball players and not audiophiles (for the most part). Also things get more complicated if you hook up more than one speaker to the same amplifier output.

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

I did do some research and read the same thing.  Very interesting but not my cup of tea.  What do you have @thalamus

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

What exiters I have ? 4 x Dayton Audio DAEX58FP Flat Pack 58mm Exciter 25W 8 Ohm.

Amps – 3 x Lepai LP-168HA 2.1 2x40W Mini Amplifier + 1x68W Sub Output.

Also have some spare amps, unknown chinese brand, 24V laying around somewhere. Don’t remember the specs and can’t find receipt. Obviously still untested. Mind you, plywood in Norway is standard sized 3mm thinner than in the US.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Thalamus.
            Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

8ohm. That’s what my new ones are.  I may have to buy new ones to replace the old ones, they didn’t have screw attachments, they stick on the sides and had to remove the tape

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?