43" or 49" TV?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    SteveB
    Participant
      @steveb

I’m looking into what 4k TV to get for my playfield, there are a ton of affordable 43″ playfields going for £300 – £400 but there’s also a couple of 49″ / 50″ ones going for around that price too. So many options, what is QLed?

I really like the idea of a 49″ playfield, my only problem is width of TV is gonna be 62cm & for future moving purposes my maximum door width is 29″ which only gives me 5cm each side of the cab. https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/panasonic-tx-49gx555b-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10193106-pdt.html

Tempted to go with the above link but does anyone have any suggestions I should take aboard?

Steve B

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

If you are planning to build a somewhat standard sized cabinet for the monitor. Then 49″ is way way too large. People are having issues getting a 43″ to fit into a standard sized Williams widebody. I’ve got a 43″ myself and it is wide enough. When I travel and play regular pins I always start of thinking what a puny little thing these new Stern machine are. I’m considering changing the view of the pf to more a 1:1 of what a real machine is and that means I will have plenty of “black” unused space on the side of the tables.

rgarriott
        Participant
          @rgarriott

My personal suggestion would be to stay with the wide body cab. That way you can just buy the lockdown bar and not have to have a custom built one if you plan on building your own cab.  I also believe that the 43″ will fit an existing pinball widebody cab with some slight modifications. But again its all personal preference.  Post some pics of your progress, we all like to see a build.  :good:

themotherbrain
          Participant
            @themotherbrain

Yeah go with the 43″ man. 49″ will look way out of proportion. I dislike when the tables look stretched so I usually delete the side rails and have some black space on the sides to make it more realistic proportions like thalamus suggested. He’s right that the 43 still makes real pins look tiny.

SteveB
            Participant
              @steveb

OK thanks for the suggestions people, yeah my old playfield was 42″ & that was fine, I was just being tempted…

Is there anything I should be looking out for before I buy like does it make a difference if it runs at 50Hz or 60Hz. I’ll obviouslky go for something 4k but what else should I be sure the tv has?

Steve B

themotherbrain
              Participant
                @themotherbrain

I have the samsung nu6900 series and have been very happy with it for the price. It runs 60hz @4k and has a game mode to reduce lag. I’m about to upgrade to the asus xg438q when it is available but that is mostly to get 120hz

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

Holy cow.  That Samsung is $288 at Walmart.  Dang, wish I was building my cab now.  Things have really dropped in the last 1 1/2 years.

themotherbrain
                  Participant
                    @themotherbrain

Yeah it was just over $300 when I bought mine. It’s pretty cheap for a decent screen. Compared to the 43″ Samsung 1080p I had before was night and day. I had no idea there would be such a drastic difference until I got it up and running. My 1080p screen looks like total dung in comparison. Thanks to that sick ass fastflips code breakthrough, there is no reason to not go 4k in my opinion.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    JR
                    Participant
                      @jfr1

oof….glad none of your cabs are around me.  Once I see one in person I’m either going to start over or toss in the towel.

SteveB
                      Participant
                        @steveb

My 1080p screen looks like total dung in comparison.

LOL!!! We’re never happy, my setup 8 years back was great & I really thought I’d be able to replicate all that with a Pi4 or low end PC but no, 4k, ultra HD 4k in your face 60Hz x 120Hz, DOF, Pinscape is all out there… Me, I just wanna get playing Medieval Madness!!!

On a serious note, is the Hz something I should look into, is 120Hz a thing that matters, not really sure what Hz is? But know I want to be working on Bam for the cab.

Steve B

Badazzwi
                        Participant
                          @badazzwi

I have a 43 lg uk6300 in my IJ widebody cab. Fits good with a little room to spare on each side. Not having the screen fill the cab seems to bother some but im fine with it.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

themotherbrain
                          Participant
                            @themotherbrain

Hz refers to the screen refresh rate per second. A 120hz monitor has smoother motion. They just started making large computer monitors that do 120hz.

Schreibi34
                            Participant
                              @schreibi34

120hz is about as important as 4k! Try to go for both even if that means that you have to wait one more year! 120hz reduces flipper lag more then the fastflip thing. It’s also alot easier to follow the ball when it’s moving high speed! After playing tables on my DT 144hz gaming monitor i always have a hard time going back to the 60hz 1080p cab and enjoying the gameplay!

-RpT
                              Participant
                                @rpt

A jump to 120hz at 4k also assumes you have a high-end beast gaming computer enough to run at that framerate. 60Hz is fine but you want a solid 60hz – no drops during gameplay. 4K 120hz monitors arn’t really a thing yet at  43″ (or basically anything tangible above 60, believe me, i looked)… There was the wasabi mango (korean brand) which is pretty much impossible to get and then there is the brand new ASUS ROG Strix XG438Q both of which cost a small fortune.

If I had unlimited money, I do want the ASUS as an upgrade having said that… :whistle: so if your budget AND build can support it, go for it! Otherwise i can recommend the 43″ i went for – the Acer ET430K. It’s tried and tested by a few in the community and is a great looking screen.

iDigStuff
                                Participant
                                  @dkane626

I have the samsung nu6900 series and have been very happy with it for the price. It runs 60hz @4k and has a game mode to reduce lag. I’m about to upgrade to the asus xg438q when it is available but that is mostly to get 120hz

I purchased this exact TV the 6900 and returned it yesterday. I could never get it to look correct. I would drag the playfield onto my 4k monitor that I’m using for the backglass and everything looked amazing. As soon as I dragged the playfield back to the 4K 6900 evrything looked flat and the color always looked washed out. I’m curious to know what settings you used? I made sure the 1070 GPU was outputting Full RGB 8 bit color and that the HDMI inputs were set to UHD on the TV. The display settings confirmed 60Hz but yet it never looked as good as the vidoes I’ve seen from other users tables.

It seems everyone just throws in any old 4k TV and has no problems. What the heck is my problem? I’ve been searching for the answer to this for weeks. Thanks!

The Loafer
                                  Participant
                                    @theloafer

dkane626:  what do you mean “dragged the playfield”?  You should be using the PC mode if your TV has one (that’s where you label one of the ports as “PC”), and you should be using exclusive fullscreen, no “dragging” possible.

Schreibi34
                                    Participant
                                      @schreibi34

I purchased this exact TV the 6900 and returned it yesterday. I could never get it to look correct. I would drag the playfield onto my 4k monitor that I’m using for the backglass and everything looked amazing. As soon as I dragged the playfield back to the 4K 6900 evrything looked flat and the color always looked washed out. I’m curious to know what settings you used? I made sure the 1070 GPU was outputting Full RGB 8 bit color and that the HDMI inputs were set to UHD on the TV. The display settings confirmed 60Hz but yet it never looked as good as the vidoes I’ve seen from other users tables.

It seems everyone just throws in any old 4k TV and has no problems. What the heck is my problem? I’ve been searching for the answer to this for weeks. Thanks!

Did you set the colour range to full in the NVidia settings? Washed out black is usually caused by this!

BrandonLaw
                                      Participant
                                        @brandonlaw

120hz is about as important as 4k! Try to go for both even if that means that you have to wait one more year! 120hz reduces flipper lag more then the fastflip thing. It’s also alot easier to follow the ball when it’s moving high speed! After playing tables on my DT 144hz gaming monitor i always have a hard time going back to the 60hz 1080p cab and enjoying the gameplay!

My sentiments exactly!  I do go back to a 4k TV, but damn, that 144hz is unprecedented when it’s milliseconds to judge a flip (and just easier on the eyes.)  As soon as the PG43UQ drops it’s mine.  Been waiting on this revision since Asus’ first janky 43″ BGM.

"Fuck this game. I love it."

iDigStuff
                                        Participant
                                          @dkane626

Hi thanks for your response. I’m using Full screen mode. I was just referring to an instance when I was in debug window when I dragged

the playfield over to the backglass (LG 4k UHD Monitor) just to see as a comparison to the Samsung 6900 TV. It looked spectacular on that screen.

Thank you!

iDigStuff
                                          Participant
                                            @dkane626

I do have it set to full color 8 bit RGB on all screens . Thank you for your response!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?