cannot launch dmdext for FX3 an popper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Psmiraglia
    Participant
      @psmiraglia

The following curlaunch.bat file works from outside popper. When popper launches this, dmdext seems to start and exit before FX3 is up (doflinx starts without issues).

Disabling realDMD from popper’s global config does nor help.

any ideas on why this is happening ?

Attachments:
      NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

couple of things:  only difference between popper launching that bat and you manually launching it is security… make sure pinupmenu.exe is run as admin

also are you using v1.7.1 of freezy released yesterday?  the new update needs dmdext.exe set to ‘run-as-admin’ now for fx3.

doflinx is suppose to be ran prior to popper starting…. and always running in the background.  Not sure how it works the way you are launching it.

couple of things to try…. move the dmdext line to last line in launch script. also, try without doflinx to see if that is causing anything.

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

Note: I have found that you need to have both dmdext AND FX3 run as admin for this new version to work properly. If both aren’t run as admin, then the first FX3 table launched will work with dmdext fine…but the second table launched wont work.

Or…if you dont want to deal with running either as admin…and want the original method…then just add –fx3-legacy to your dmdext command in the launch script.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Psmiraglia
          Participant
            @psmiraglia

couple of things:  only difference between popper launching that bat and you manually launching it is security… make sure pinupmenu.exe is run as admin

–> it is running as admin

also are you using v1.7.1 of freezy released yesterday?  the new update needs dmdext.exe set to ‘run-as-admin’ now for fx3.

–> I was running 1.7 as admin (I tried removing admin too). I just tried with 1.71 and I get the same results

doflinx is suppose to be ran prior to popper starting…. and always running in the background.  Not sure how it works the way you are launching it.

—> I’ve always run it this way because of an unresolved issue with PacLeds. I start/stop it with FP and FX2/3

couple of things to try…. move the dmdext line to last line in launch script.

–> same result, though this seems to help with getting focus on FX3 which is another issue I have with popper

also, try without doflinx to see if that is causing anything.

–> no difference.

For a moment I thought the –quit-when-done parameter was causing dmdext to immediately quit, but it was not the case.

NailBuster
              @nailbuster
              ModeratorMember

are you using x360ce joystick driver with fx3?

Gilrock
              Participant
                @gilrock

I followed Terry’s instructions that he linked earlier for dmdext and installed 32bit version.  I’ve been running FX3 tonight with no issues and I’m not running as administrator.

Gilrock
                Participant
                  @gilrock

And yes I’m running 1.7.1. so I thought it wasn’t going to run cause I read it needed admin.

Psmiraglia
                  Participant
                    @psmiraglia

are you using x360ce joystick driver with fx3?

yes, but I’m not seeing the problem reported by others. No issues lunching from pbx or manually.

Gilrock
                    Participant
                      @gilrock

Why not try using the launch script code within popper?  Even if you have a reason to want the batch file it would still be a good test point to know if it works.

I’m running DOFLinx also but I just have it running permanently when I start windows.

NailBuster
                        @nailbuster
                        ModeratorMember

if the problem is that dmdext is ‘crashing’ then enable logging for dmdext and view/post the error from log…

another thing to test is to but some timeouts around those calls

timeout /t 3

will wait 3 seconds….  put that before each exe launch to test if that works and if that works you can then start lowering the values.

Psmiraglia
                        Participant
                          @psmiraglia

i found that pupdmdcontrol prevents dmdext from  starting. if i kill it from taskman, dmdext starts. if i disable dmd from pupmenu global config, i can now start dmdext with fx3.

i cannot get consistent results with pindmdv3 within pinupmenu whicc, ironically, is what never worked well in pbx and the reason i’m testing pupmenu.

on a related note, i think dmdext 1.7 works better for me, so i downgraded.

NailBuster
                            @nailbuster
                            ModeratorMember

yeah,  pupdmdcontrol uses dmddevice.dll for hardware dmd and it works great for pin2dmd…. so there’s not much pupdmdcontrol can do as it doesn’t know what dmddevice.dll is doing on its end or what hardware its using.

are you using latest pupdmdcontrol from here?  http://www.nailbuster.com/pinupdates/PUPDMDControl.zip

Psmiraglia
                            Participant
                              @psmiraglia

I don’t remember downloading a separate DMDcontrol file, so I’ll try this. would that be included in 1.3.4 ? if not, anything else that acme out after that ?

Psmiraglia
                              Participant
                                @psmiraglia

pupdmdcontrol  was old, from march. the new one makes the dmd work within pupmenu, and I’m able to start dmdext 1.7 (1.7.1 does not work consistently).

TerryRed
                                  @terryred
                                  MemberContributorModerator

pupdmdcontrol was old, from march. the new one makes the dmd work within pupmenu, and I’m able to start dmdext 1.7 (1.7.1 does not work consistently).

Read my notes about 1.7.1

Note, 1.7.1 changes: I have found that you need to have both dmdext AND FX3 run as admin for this new FX3 memory grabber version to work properly with the new method it uses. If both aren’t run as admin, then the first FX3 table launched will work with dmdext fine…but the second table launched wont work.

Or…if you dont want to deal with running either as admin…and want the original method…then just add –fx3-legacy to your dmdext command in the launch script.

start /min “” “dmdext.exe” mirror –source=pinballfx3 –fx3-legacy -q -d auto –virtual-hide-grip –virtual-position=3400 5 400 –pinup PINUP\[GAMENAME]

For now guys….if you are using FX3 PuP-Packs or Fx3 PuP-SSF, I would recommend using the Legacy Method by adding in –fx3-legacy to your dmdext command line in Popper’s FX3 launch script…and NOT running either dmdext or fx3 as admin. The reason being that running dmdext as admin causes the Aliens (and possible SSF) FX3 pup-packs to not close out when exiting the table.

Note…that some of the dashes are getting cut in the “pasting” of text.

There are two dashes with:

–source=pinballfx3

–fx3-legacy

–virtual-hide-grip

–virtual-position

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?