DOF requirements for a PC game

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    -RpT
    Participant
      @rpt

Say I wanted to pitch to the devs of a PC game (Demon’s Tilt to be specific but general question) adding full support for DOF triggers in their game as you would get on a normal VPX rom or Timeshock (lamps, solenoids, switches)… Is there some kind of concise summary or specification that exists of what our requirements would be in Vpin land in order to have that working?

My level of understanding is not there yet to be able to properly explain the minimum implementation that they would need to give us on a programming level to have event from the game trigger DOF.

I think the idea could work in this example for various reasons… or at least i think i can make a convincing argument why it’s worth them looking into a potential 2nd market in the vpin community!

As a follow-up question, what work would be needed in order to have DOFLinx pickup outputs from the game as with FX3 (as i understand it this works using audio ques)?

TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

DOFLinx needs to read areas of FX3 memory in order to pickup triggers. It’s not a simple or easy thing to do and requires a lot of work for DDH69 to update DOFLinx each time FX3 gets updated.

We’ve tried numerous times to reach out to Zen about a more official support…and they never ever responded.

-RpT
        Participant
          @rpt

Thanks for reply!

Reading more on the DirectOutput page but still not got my head around things yet… I’ll dig into the forums some more.  But would seem the dev would just need to create a simple “rom” with at minimum entities linked to the “toys” in the game that can be picked up by the event class of the framework which is then translated to the output controller. Not a programmer so I’m trying to determine what template this would have to follow and if its a simple case of adding a few lines of code to replicate their existing event in a way that DOF can understand or if it’s a lot more involved than that…

Hopefully Zen will eventually change their mind one day for that specific example… maybe with some further lobbying from the community and as they are starting to at least acknowledge VP cabs. They have now set a precedent of licencing the software to builders (well, at least one) so i’d expect it’s on their radar but they prehaps feel the market is too small.

Gwen
          Participant
            @gwen

While they’re at it they can add support for a second sound device for table sounds =)

Gwen
            - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?