Flipper Buttons

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    njk70
    Participant
      @njk70

Ok. Lets see if I can get some opinions on this. I have a GRS cabinet and I finally wired in the flipper buttons. I noticed that I really don’t care for the position of the flipper buttons and I was wondering if I was crazy. I see why they put them there as the stock cabinet doesn’t have a lockdown bar so they want to avoid a hand position going over the cabinet corner.

So the GRS cabinet has buttons in a o^ arrangement (first one low, 4″ from top, second one higher, 3.5″ from top) and 3.5″ and 5″ from the front of the cabinet. I haven’t played a real pinball machine in a good 18 months at this point (and not regularly for many years) but my memory claims I rested my palms on the lockdown bar corners and reached the flipper buttons from there. Which I can do, but its at the far reach of my middle finger to the first (lower button).

Messing around with hand position I find a comfortable setting if I put my hands on the side rail (palm not reaching cabinet corner) with my thumb along the top rail and my fingers very comfortably reach the higher flipper button (which I have as magna save, but I could swap them, I can reach both but the higher one seems a lot more comfortable).

I could also drill a new flipper button hole closer to the front of the cabinet so that my original hand position would work.

Or more likely I will just get used to whatever and adjust my grip to whatever works over time.

Yes I get drawn into details like this….

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by njk70.
      Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

To me it sounds uncomfortable. And, a picture – would help. But, don’t mind me. It is your build. If you find it to be ok, then go for it. I can only remember one instance where I’ve felt that my choice of a wide body build and flipper positions screwed me over and that was druing the drunk mode of CCC. My brain is not able to switch playing left flipper for the right and opposite. So I have to cross my hands and my arms are just reaching the buttons. So, I admit. I often end up doing what you should never ever do in pinball. Double flip. ( well, it might in very few cases during mb )

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Thalamus.
        njk70
        Participant
          @njk70

flippers

Ooops. Came out rather larger than intended.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by njk70.
          • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by njk70.
          Thalamus
            @thalamus

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N3pd4XZE25WY9XxQ7

My placement isn’t exactly where I remember them placed. I believe your’s is more close, but, there is ages since I played a real machine with magna flippers. They are often “extra” and having to move the hand to get at them would not make me too stressed out. For VP, they are often used instead of the fire button that I see you’ve already implemented. Except for that, sure, there are tables where this is used during the game. Few, as active as the just release table by Knorr. https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/starship-troopers-sega-1997-2/

Reminds me, or should I say annoys me that I’ve been too lazy to address the fact that my left one is dead at the moment and tables like Dungeon and Dragons is still so and so. I’m just too lazy to take it all apart. So, that means “in a way”, you can live without magna saves to some extent.

njk70
            Participant
              @njk70

Which one “should” the magna save be?

On yours is it the white or red? (I am guessing red). They seem to be a good inch+ closer to the front of the cab than mine.

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

That does look like a tad uncomfortable button arrangement.  I went with a ’69 Gottlieb as a guide but ended up moving the flipper button back another 1/2″ and placed the magna save slightly lower and forward which is where I think most ms buttons are.  I wanted to rest my hands right on the corners and have access to both.

Thalamus
                  @thalamus

Yes. The red ones are the extra magna saves.

njk70
                  Participant
                    @njk70

Ok so it looks like I have my magna and flipper buttons wired backwards and the right way to hold this cabinet would be with my hands forward and off the lockdown bar corner. Makes sense for its design and is comfortable just not what I expected and might make nudging the cabinet more difficult but I am not a big nudger. In a pinch I can drill a new flipper button hole if I turn out to not like it. Thanks for the input and pictures.

njk70
                    Participant
                      @njk70

For completeness of this subject. I just disassembled all the flipper buttons and drilled a new hole for one immediately above the first button in my picture. That puts it spot on for late model williams machines I think. Not sure which spot I will use for magna save buttons. I have covers for what will now be a third flipper button hole on each side, will think about what I could put there…. maybe just usb ports. Turns out the hand position was really important to me. I may have to make other sacrifices to make things fit but thats ok. Also reached a conclusion that I don’t like the playfield tipping backwards into the cabinet to make room for a rgb led matrix in the back. I have it on an exaggerated forward tilt right now and I can see things so much better and feels natural (i probably will lower the tilt, just happened to be how the monitor rested when i moved it). I’ll see if I can arrange things to still have room for a matrix but I am willing to give it up as I suspected it would be too distracting anyway.

Now I have to put it all back together again.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

Experimenting with different things like that is imo. important to get a good result in the end. And, you are right about moving those flipper buttons. They need to feel natural. VP isn’t 100% the same as regular pinball, so, you want to make sure that at least the things that can be, is as close as possible. Get a tilt bob pr. example.

njk70
                        Participant
                          @njk70

It was somewhat a nostalgia thing. It was just the way I would lean on the table with my hands on the lockdown bar corners, I wanted that same “feeling”. I could reposition my hands slightly and play just fine with how it was but it wasn’t “the same”. I’m really liking the new tilt on my playfield monitor, its making a huge difference. My eyesight isn’t great so I think that contributed to it, the far end of the cabinet is at a bad spot for my glasses so anything to make it clearer is good. Wondering if having two strips of rgb leds on the back would be worthwhile, thats about all the space I have left.

And I already have a tilt bob! OK its in a box. But I have one! Heh.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?