Fragmented communities

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

@daryl up top you click on recent activity and then you can sort from there. i choose most recent forum posts but anything can be changed. Remember this is not forum software :) but acts like it

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

I’m still fairly new to this hobby. Dabbled a little with Future Pinball and Visual Pinball back in 2008 on desktop. Then I got into the sim racing community after I built my simpit and was hooked on that…   but then I built my arcade / pinball combo cabinet in Dec 2015, and have been busy with constant upgrades of software and hardware ever since.

In this last year, I have taken in A LOT of information about virtual pinball, each pinball system, the various different websites and their history, the politics, the drama, etc…. not to mention the immense amount of work it takes to build a cabinet and setup each system for hundreds of tables, media, mods, tweaks, etc… it never ends! It’s madness….

…but that madness wouldn’t have been so much fun without ALL of these amazing sites. I never had much of an issue with downloading at VPU…yes there was the time limit, and I was getting B2S, table, media and other files for over 170 VP tables… all in a couple of days time.  Not one issue with VPU downloading, or anywhere else for that matter…..  Once most people are up to date with their collection…its not like they are downloading 100’s of tables everyday.

I’ve never had a problem with ads,etc for financing a website. As long as it’s not click-bait b/s, pop-up ads, or malware, etc..      Bills need to be paid…period, and being out of work really does suck… I’ve been there. It’s a free service for me, so I can’t complain about some limitations somewhere.

I probably wouldn’t even have feedback in my cabinet if it wasn’t for VPU. DOF, the config tool and addressable leds is what sold it for me…and my resource for all of that was VPU and their community and randr’s amazing help with that, which I got here at vpinball many times. I also discovered the newer SAM and Stern stuff there. I’m very thankful for VPU, and frequent it often. Simple as that. Keep up the good work.

I’m active at vpforums, vpinball, vpu, gopinball, Pinball X, and more. I’m thankful for all of the unique things each of them offers. I wasn’t even aware off all the drama involved between them until recently… again, 1 year, and a lot of ground covered…and I learn something new almost everyday.

TerryRed
          @terryred

…oh, and since I hopefully will have the attention of both randr and Dazz here… I hope this is an ok place to ask this.

I’ve been beta testing a new program that was just released called DOFLinx (formerly DOFFX2) created by DDH69.  To put it simply it allows for DOF controlled feedback of any output on Led-Wiz, Sainsmart, PACLED64, and KL25Z for use in Pinball cabinets for ANY program.

1st method of control is simply by keyboard keys, and other built-in timers and features for almost all cabinet toys. This is useful for Pinball FX2, the Pinball Arcade, Future Pinball tables with no feedback, VP tables with no feedback, MAME, or ANY program.  Nothing is seen by DOFLinx with this method, its just controlled by the user by keyboard keys to trigger the action. No more octo coupler circuits needed for flipper feedback for non DOF tables or PFX2 and TPA!

2nd method is by the DOFLinxMsg app that can be messaged directly by other programs and commands in real-time.

3rd method is having complete real-time bi-directional communication between DOFLinx and Future Pinball tables which give full DOF control by the table script! This is HUGE and replaces the previous Led-Wiz support with a much more functional and universal option for cabinet feedback and lighting for Future Pinball that will automatically work for Led-Wiz, Sainsmart, PACLED64, and KL25Z. The tables are universally scripted for DOFLinx, so the addition of future hardware support will not need to be added into the table script later on. That is handled by DOFLinx and DOF. So the effort in adding in feedback will be enjoyed by many more people.

The link to where the program is hosted is here:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showforum=107

…yes it’s at vpforums. That’s where DDH69 wanted it to be initially setup for support, and there’s a whole section dedicated to it now.

However I asked DDH69 if it would be ok to have threads about it at other sites, and he said spread the word! He just wants the main support for it at vpforums for now. We have been busy adding DOFLinx full cabinet support to some Future Pinball tables, and some are already at vpforums. I also have permission to upload tables at GoPinball and they’ve added a DOFLinx filter / tag for tables to PinSimDB. We wanted to know if it would be ok to host Future Pinball tables with DOFLinx cabinet support here at Vpinball and also at VPU?

I’ve reached out to some table authors and already have permission to add DOFLinx support to tables by GLXB, and SLAMT1LT’s tables / mods (including all the newest tables on his site) as well as share them on all other web sites.

I’ve been working on SLAMT1LT’s excellent Stern Star Trek table…adding in blower fan effects, beacons, strobes, FIRE button, animated photon torpedo effects for 5 flasher RGBs, and DDH69 added in the 10 solenoid feedback, shaker and normal flasher effects including pulse and fading effects (previously not possible), and more. Most of this wasn’t possible before with Future Pinball.

As we all know…almost anything to do with Stern’s newer tables is a no-no at vpforums. I’ve wanted to share this Star Trek table for others to use and show it off with some videos as a demo. I would hope that is possible here at VPinball and at VPU!

So would that be ok with you randar and Dazz? Please let myself or DDH69 know.

Thank you.

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

Yeah sounds great. At vpf the site owner actually has said real feedback is fake! :scratch:

As for future pinball tables shared here that would great more places people can find the great work people do the better!

Does doflinx now support pop bumpers, kickers, drop targets and slings now too?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

TerryRed
              @terryred

Yeah sounds great. At vpf the site owner actually has said real feedback is fake! :scratch: As for future pinball tables shared here that would great more places people can find the great work people do the better! Does doflinx now support pop bumpers, kickers, drop targets and slings now too?

If real feedback in a virtual cabinet is fake, then why bother with a “fake” playfield using a tv screen? It’s all a simulation, no matter what way you put it and feedback is a game changer.   Anyone who has tried my simpit with “feedback” fed to 12 transducers based on telemetry data coming from the racing game, will tell you there’s no comparison to racing with feedback.

DOFLinx still functions the same as far as PFX2, TPA is concerned. Keyboard keys trigger outputs and functions. (many more features than before though)

The “new” Future Pinball FP-Link function of DOFLinx is completely different. I would compare it to how a VP “original” table that doesn’t use roms, still needs to have the commands / actions  for DOF feedback added into the script for the table. This is a similar idea, since Future Pinball does not use roms. The only limitation is how the programmer (who adds in DOFLinx support) makes use of DOLFinx in the table script. It’s not a “fake” feedback like with PFX2.

The table script has DOFLinx commands added to it to coincide with the actions occurring in the table. Similar to how the current Led-Wiz support does…only MUCH more powerful with more features and full support for almost all cabinet toys and more controller boards.

The DOF toys it currently supports are:

Left flipper
              Right flipper
              Left slingshot
              Right slingshot
              Mid field left solenoid
              Mid field centre solenoid
              Mid field right solenoid
              Back left solenoid
              Back centre solenoid
              Back right solenoid
              Shaker motor
              Gear motor
              Knocker
              Blower Fan
              Flasher outer left
              Flasher Inner Left
              Flasher Centre
              Flasher Outer Right
              Flasher Inner Right
              Strobe
              Beacon

Start button
              Extra Ball button
              Exit button
              Coin button
              Launch Ball button
              Fire Button
              RGB under cabinet lighting

So, yes it supports pop bumpers, kickers, drop targets and slingshots which can be used the same way you do in DOF for VP. Just tell DOFLinx which solenoid to use for whatever action you want in the table script. You can use any device for almost anything you want on the table, really.

The FP table will simply pass the messages in real-time to DOFLinx while playing a table. Then DOFLinx will translate that to DOF to control your feedback outputs. The table dictates the action…the user sets the limits and configuration of their hardware and outputs in the DOFLinx.ini file, similar to how you would with DOF Config Tool.

You can also combine outputs for similar functions, also like DOF Config Tool. I only have one Led-Wiz. I have my middle and rear solenoids using the same output, my blower fan and shaker motor on the same output, my middle RGB flasher and RGB under cabinet lighting on the same outputs. All of it works fine together.

There are so many features…. like a built-in “Night Mode” to turn off the “noise makers” in your cabinet and allow the in-game mechanical sounds to play (flippers, bumpers,etc). Customisable timers for outputs to limit the maximum time they can be on, for safety reason (solenoids stuck on by bad scripting, etc).

I’m a complete noob to VB script and event based programming. The only thing I have done like that before was QBasic back in 1995, and GlovePie scripting back when the Wii first came out. That being said, I have been able to easily add DOFLinx support with some neat effects during all modes of gameplay in SLAM’s Star Trek (Stern) table.

I will try to get a video or two up to demonstrate it this weekend I hope.

Phil Docker
              Participant
                @dock

Terry – I find your ideas and findings very interesting – why dont you start another thread and offer advice (ie I would love to know how I wire in RGB panels like in your cab).
                The only thing I would say is it is a little off topic on this thread.

Personally I would love to hear more about it !   I am about to throw DOF out of my cabinet – as no matter what I try using different power supplies, isolation etc – it crashes my system.  It also did that on my MK1 cab……

freneticamnesic
                  @freneticamnesic
                  vipModeratorMember

I like this doflinx stuff, and the VR stuff you can do in FP. I’ve been way too busy to try any of it out though :( I’ve got FP on my cab so no excuse except that there’s a bunch of junk on top of my cab and I’m lazy er I mean busy

Punch it!

N3roflint
                  Participant
                    @n3roflint

Is any of this really about “community” anymore or is it just about two different companies making a profit off of other peoples talents for free?

I’m not a table coder, artist or author I just don’t have the type of talent to be able to do that kind of thing. Because of that I figured after I had been around for awhile my niche was to try to help people to the best of my ability especially newer users but after VPCabs ended up on that show and I saw the squabbling between Paul and them I started to feel like these forums were really nothing more than help sites that both companies were using to direct their customers to so I stopped helping so much. And I really hate that because I really like helping people I love to pay it forward. I just get the feeling that everyone is being used and abused from the community members to the authors.

I can’t imagine how all of the table authors feel about all of it I’m frankly surprised that most of them are making anything anymore and it speaks volumes about the type of people they are and I applaud them for that.

As for VPU I joined up when I was still a noob in this scene and at the time I felt the forum was a hangout for table authors so I would only go there to download tables and backglasses and also to buy authors a beer (is that even a feature there anymore?) as well as lurk and read once in a while. I didn’t feel excluded at all but I just felt that’s what it was whether that was it’s intentions or not.

As for paying for content or to donate to help keep any of the sites running I have no issue with that at all. When I asked Randr here where the donate button was he told me there wasn’t one nor will there ever be one but if he chooses to in the future I’ll donate. I would do that same for anyone needing funds.

And a fucking open source program being owned by anyone…..that’s a first for me.

TerryRed
                      @terryred

Yeah sounds great. At vpf the site owner actually has said real feedback is fake! :scratch: As for future pinball tables shared here that would great more places people can find the great work people do the better! Does doflinx now support pop bumpers, kickers, drop targets and slings now too?

Correction….it seems DOFLinx “may” be getting FULL feedback for bumpers, slingshots, drop targets, flippers, shaker, etc and some controlled lighting for Pinball FX2 after all!

In the meantime, there is another working solution! Yes you heard me right…. I currently have full feedback working in Pinball FX2…its a WIP, but so far works great on a few tables so far!  Check out this thread for more info on both solutions:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=35960#entry358070

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?