FX3 4K Settings

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Axilla
    Participant
      @subdisturb

I recently upgraded my whole system and with the additional computing power, decided to go with a 4K display.  Everything in VPX works flawlessly and I can’t believe it took me so long to go 4K.  I figured since everything worked smoothly, I would give FX3 a go.  It seems to lag quite a bit and really is not playable considering the quality I’m getting now out of VPX.  Does anyone have any suggestions on settings to get FX3 to play smoothly?  I’ve looked around multiple forums and tried multiple settings within FX3 to no avail.  I apologize if this is answered somewhere else I am over looking.

System:

i7-9700K

16GB RAM

512GB SSD

RTX 2070

NailBuster
        @nailbuster
        ModeratorMember

very strange, i find fx3 needs a lot less resources than VPX to run smoothly.

try running fx3 as window borderless in your fx3 video options.

also, run outside any frontend to see if that makes any diff as well.

Axilla
        Participant
          @subdisturb

very strange, i find fx3 needs a lot less resources than VPX to run smoothly.

try running fx3 as window borderless in your fx3 video options.

also, run outside any frontend to see if that makes any diff as well.

I have tried both in and out of popper with the same result.  Here’s my FX3 settings if that’s helpful.

IMG_20190722_195955

NailBuster
            @nailbuster
            ModeratorMember

that’s crazy.  a 2070 shouldn’t break a sweat.  i have an rx480 and 4K fx3 is smooooth.

i’d say check hardware.  like maybe you’re running 59hz on 60hz tv?

if you run taskmanager on your backglass,  hows you cpu/gpu %?

also disable things like doflinx if its running in background… or any other strange thngs in background.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            Axilla
            Participant
              @subdisturb

that’s crazy.  a 2070 shouldn’t break a sweat.  i have an rx480 and 4K fx3 is smooooth.

i’d say check hardware.  like maybe you’re running 59hz on 60hz tv?

if you run taskmanager on your backglass,  hows you cpu/gpu %?

also disable things like doflinx if its running in background… or any other strange thngs in background.

I’m not sure how to check the actual refresh rate on the TV, but I’m running it in game mode.  GPU / CPU don’t look strained.

IMG_20190722_201253

IMG_20190722_201404

Gill
              Participant
                @gill

30p… you only get 30Hz. Since you use V-sync ON you then only get 30fps.

Should be 60p for 60Hz. Check your settings in Windows, does it say 30 or 60Hz? Make sure you have a cable that can do 4K, 60Hz.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Axilla
                Participant
                  @subdisturb

30p… you only get 30Hz. Since you use V-sync ON you then only get 30fps.

Should be 60p for 60Hz. Check your settings in Windows, does it say 30 or 60Hz? Make sure you have a cable that can do 4K, 60Hz.

I guess I wasn’t thinking the 30p meant 30Hz.  I assumed it had something to do with HDR (which I know nothing about the different standards of).  I’ll check the settings in Windows when I get home and I’ve ordered a new cable specifically rated for 4K 60Hz.  It seems odd that VPX shows fps between 110-120 on average, but that runs the smoothest I’ve ever had it run before.  V-sync just adjusts the refresh rate on the TV to match what’s coming in on the input cable, right?  Would VPX be forcing a different refresh rate (i.e. is it possible I’m getting a better refresh rate out VPX than FX3)?  Should I not be using V-sync?  I appreciate the feedback!

Axilla
                  Participant
                    @subdisturb

The default settings for my 4K display in Windows was set to 30Hz.  I guess VPX was overriding that to 60Hz, which is why it played so much better.  Changing the default refresh rate to 60Hz in the nvidia settings took care of the issue and FX3 is now playing very smooth.  Now, I just need to figure out how to get the dmd to mirror to my PinDMD3 from popper.

Thanks Gill and David!!

outhere
                      @outhere
                      MemberContributorvipModerator
                      Axilla
                      Participant
                        @subdisturb

http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=pupdmd_fx3&fbclid=IwAR2z3hd15BLoJhIp4wAfUz_Yv19UCsRk-xdR4MlHX4utZmuSDUmUS8nEHtU

This is why I love this site and it’s the first VP site I go to when working on the cab!  This worked awesome!  I’m sorry I missed it on the wiki.  I hadn’t been there since setting up the new machine two weeks ago and was trying to work with the default launch script in the latest popper.  I sincerely appreciate everyone’s help!

naeromagus
                        Participant
                          @naeromagus

Glad to hear you have things working.  :good:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?