FX3 – Won’t launch after first 1-3 times

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    LynnInDenver
    Participant
      @lynnindenver

I’ve been fiddling with getting FX3 working on the cabinet, and it mostly works.

So I’ll launch Popper, select a table from FX3. First time, it will launch and everything is dandy.

The best I can do is launch three tables from FX3. Then, it won’t launch. I just get the desktop, and it won’t launch from Popper at all at that point until I restart Popper, at which point the cycle begins again.

So far, the best results I’ve gotten is to set Popper to run as Administrator, but I know that’s also not a 100% workable solution, as it should run just fine without the setting. I’ve fiddled with giving complete permissions (full control to all) otherwise, and it’s still maddeningly inconsistent.

The unfortunate problem is if I can’t get FX3 running consistently before the Showdown, I’ll need to remove the menu items temporarily for the show, and restore them later.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

Try running FX3 in Borderless Windowed and see if that helps you at all.

LynnInDenver
        Participant
          @lynnindenver

Already got it in Windows Borderless. That’s one of the things I double checked.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

outhere
            @outhere
            MemberContributorvipModerator

Post your launch and exit script

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

And definitely had one “won’t launch at all on the first try” tonight. Here’s the information requested:

cd /d “C:\Visual Pinball\VPinMAME”
              start /min “” “PUPDMDControl.exe” FX3 PINUP\[GAMENAME]

START “” “[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe” 5 5 20 “Pinball FX3”
              rem SET ALTPARAM=
              rem if “[ALTMODE]”==”classic” (SET ALTPARAM=-class )
              rem if “[ALTMODE]”==”hotseat2” (SET ALTPARAM=-hotseat_2 )
              rem if “[ALTMODE]”==”hotseat3” (SET ALTPARAM=-hotseat_3 )
              rem if “[ALTMODE]”==”hotseat4” (SET ALTPARAM=-hotseat_4 )

rem START “” “[DIREMU]\steam.exe” -applaunch 442120 %ALTPARAM% -table_[GAMENAME]
              START “” “[DIREMU]\steam.exe” -applaunch 442120 -table_[GAMENAME]

Exit Script:

“[STARTDIR]LAUNCH\PUPCLOSER.EXE” WINTIT “Pinball FX3” 4 1 3

I also have had this error occur occasionally, specifically when trying to open an FX3 table:

error

The maddening thing is that the only consistency is that I eventually must exit Popper and reenter to get it working again. And yes, I have tried disabling external DMD support.

LynnInDenver
              Participant
                @lynnindenver

Additional: it’s just as maddeningly inconsistent trying to launch from Steam directly, instead of using Popper.

About the only way it loads consistently is I have to do it from the Play button in the Steam front end.

outhere
                  @outhere

What windows are you running?

LynnInDenver
                  Participant
                    @lynnindenver

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

outhere
                      @outhere

Are you using other program that are 64 bit that this program may not like?
                      Are you up to date on Visual C++  and net framework?
                      https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=4982#entry330264

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      LynnInDenver
                      Participant
                        @lynnindenver

I’m trying to strip down the installs (this is actually my old desktop computer), so that I can eliminate problem points.

And with enough stripping, and uninstalling all of .net and reinstalling from the links, we at least appear to be back up and running. I just played five tables in a row, different ones, from Popper. Hopefully it’ll remain stable now.

NailBuster
                          @nailbuster
                          ModeratorMember

fyi… nothing in pinup/popper/player is .NET

just so if you see a .NET error in future like that error you’re seeing

LynnInDenver
                          Participant
                            @lynnindenver

Yeah, at this point, I’m suspecting that the problem was entirely external to Popper, just that Popper was where I was stumbling hard on it.

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

…and the problem has returned. But I think I’ve found the culprit – x360ce. I’m downloading the last free version of XPadder and trying that, because I kind of need to have the plunger working if FX3 is going to be present on the cab at the show.

ETA: OK, I got XPadder working, and even have the “launch and kill” set up so I don’t need to leave it running and interfere with plunger features elsewhere. It’s not perfect (x360ce would be better because, well, analog), but it should eliminate complaints about “that plunger doesn’t work”.

outhere
                                @outhere

I use the x360ce with no problem but I’m running windows 10 and am assuming you are using the 32 bit version of (x360ce)
                                Hopefully what you’ve done will fix your problem

LynnInDenver
                                Participant
                                  @lynnindenver

Yeah, I’ve gotten it fixed up using XPadder for right now. I may fiddle with x360ce again later, and specifically install the 64bit version only, and see how that handles.

TerryRed
                                    @terryred
                                    MemberContributorModerator

Make sure you are up to date here:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework

…and make sure you install EVERY version of Visual C++ redistributable here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

EVERY year, 32 bit and 64 bit.

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

Really annoyed by Microsoft putting the older versions behind the sign-in wall. It forces me into Edge. I’ll be installing the ones from behind the sign-in wall, on top of all the rest of the reinstalls I did earlier in the week.

Also, XPadder introduces a hell of a lot of flipper lag, so that’s pretty much a no-go for a solution.

Since we have about 60 days, my husband did advise me to more or less pull what doesn’t work out of the Popper menu when the time comes to haul the cabinet out to the show.

LynnInDenver
                                      Participant
                                        @lynnindenver

…and even that didn’t work. It’s to the point that x360ce won’t activate for anyone… and I looked into whether or not I could use a 360 controller as a proxy, and I ran smack into Steam’s efforts to force using the controller as a substitute for a mouse. I even ran into it before I stuck my 360 controller on it.

I’m done tangling with this until after the May show. Steam has come back off the cabinet for the time being so I don’t waste “get the cabinet ready for show” time trying to get something working that should be working, yet because all the commercial offerings are around “sell you the new hardware at the expense of DIY and old hardware” makes it much more difficult to get things working as it should. We still have more than 600 tables on the cabinet, anyway.

Additional: Putting Steam back on the cabinet, I’ll just rely on the DOFLinx plunger implementation, since that seemed to be what was actually working reliably. I’ll just have to see if it actually will “carry over” to Zaccaria Pinball if I add that to the “watch list”. At least, once it all reinstalls. I’m giving up on x360ce and XPadder until after the show, when I can, again, afford the time to actually pursue it.

LynnInDenver
                                        Participant
                                          @lynnindenver

…and I got x360ce working anyway, all the way around. This works with my preference to have a single piece of software doing any one thing, so I’m not relying on DOFLinx and x360ce and whatever else I might be trying to run to get analog plunger working everywhere I’d like it to be. FX2, FX3 and Zaccaria all now have full proper analog plunger off the Pinscape board.

I had to download the latest 4.10 “alpha” for x360ce (which doesn’t put dll files all over the drive space like the 3.2 release version, just needs to be running). I now have it tied in to Start Minimized when I load Popper, and Quit when I quit Popper.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?