Graphic Card Help for 4k

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Ratt85
    Participant
      @ratt85

Hello,

I am new to VR pinball and am planning to build a VR pinball machine. I am just in the process of assembling items needed. I am looking to go 4K. I have found two graphic cards locally for almost the same price. One is a MSI GTX 1060 6GB gaming x edition and the other a gigabyte GTX 980 wind force 3gb OC edition. Can I use either for 4k and which would be the better card to buy? I know there are better cards for 4k but they are out of my price range. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

chucky87
      Participant
        @chucky87

Hello

Gtx 1660 super for 4k is very good

Ratt85
        Participant
          @ratt85

Unfortunatley the 1660 is beyond my price range

Jalei
          Participant
            @jalei

I’m a little confused about your VR pinball machine, what VR headset are you planning to use? Or are you just want to build a VP cabinet with a 4k screen?

chucky87
            Participant
              @chucky87

at what price do you find it? with us in France 220 euro

Ratt85
              Participant
                @ratt85

Sorry, building a VP cabinet with a 4K play field .

Badazzwi
                Participant
                  @badazzwi

The 980 Is a powerful card but a bit outdated. I’d go with the 1060 due to the fact it has more ram.

You can run 4k on either. I ran 4k on my 970 for a bit. Just had to tweak a lot of settings.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

Mike DA Spike
                  Participant
                    @mikedaspike

I had a 1060 6gb in my cabinet when I started and noticed that it could not run every table at 4k 60 hz with 60fps. I swapped it for a 2070 that will did the trick for me.

Ratt85
                    Participant
                      @ratt85

OK, I really appreciate all your input on the topic. I’ll go with the 1060, I know it can’t run all tables at 4K but for those I assume I could play them on 1080?

Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

No, you still will want to run them at 4k, just tuning down some settings like ball reflection etc. Make the table a bit less resource hungry. Once you fire up a table in 4k, you won’t be able to go back. It is night and day between those. If it is a 980ti vs a 1060, then I’m not so sure what I would pick to be honest. 980ti was very special in so many ways. No doubt though, 3070 is going to be a beast for a “reasonable” (?) price. Sounds a bit out of your budget though.

Mike DA Spike
                        Participant
                          @mikedaspike

You already mention that your budget is low, but I should also go for a 3070 (or when the 3060 will be released)

Why ? I think with the next release of virtual pinball (vpe), you need a better video card to display all. And I hope that ray tracing will be added too.

But just my opinion.

A complete cabinet could cost a fortune, but you can use it for many, many years. And even your (grand)kids will love it.

Conehead
                          Participant
                            @conehead

I have an “Asus TUF Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Overclocked 6GB Dual-Fan Edition HDMI DP DVI Gaming Graphics Card (TUF-GTX1660-O6G-Gaming)”.  I haven’t tried it yet because I’m still waiting for my cab to be built (ordered it from VirtuaPin).  Will this spit out decent 4K video until I can save up enough cash for the 3070?

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

Yes. It’s a ok card, but, you might see micro stutter on some tables. Often easy to adjust down to sane values. And, never run any AA on 4k, that isn’t needed. The resolution itself is so high that you won’t be annoyed of jagged edges.

Conehead
                              Participant
                                @conehead

I have no idea on how to adjust video cards to tune down things that matter, so when it comes that time I’ll probably reach out to the community to get guidance on what the baseline settings should be, and go up/down from there.  I assume AA is Anti-Aliasing though.  Thanks for your opinion on the card!

Ratt85
                                Participant
                                  @ratt85

So I have come across an MSI Gtx 980 4Gb Gaming edition for $150, would that card be powerful enough to run a 4K table? I know a 1070 or 1080 would be ideal, but they are double the price.

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

There is a clear difference between the “ti” model and the regular 980 card. More than any previous series 600, 700 etc. I’m not so sure that you will be happy with a 980 trying to run it on 4k. You will most probably have to compromise, maybe “too much”, and I would recommend that you save up a bit longer and get a 1070 or better instead. If you don’t care for 4k, well, then it is a great card. You can always go the poor mans 4k route of using Nvidia DSR. Just know, it is NOT the same as pure 4k. I used to run it on my 750ti. Now, I can’t imagine going back.

Rajo Joey
                                    Participant
                                      @joey2001

Maybe the prize for the 1080 go down after the release of the 3000-series.

Ratt85
                                      Participant
                                        @ratt85

I have a 43 inch 4K tv I was going to use with it. So I am really going to have to think about it.  Might be worth spend the extra $ now to get at least a 1070. There was one for sale non working for $150, guy said he pulled it from his computer and when he went to install it in his son’s computer it wouldn’t work . Possible easy fix ?

Ratt85
                                        Participant
                                          @ratt85

Would a 980 ti model work with 4K? I noticed they are not much cheaper than a 1070

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus

They are almost the same when it comes to performance. The question is more of, you are going to buy this used I guess. Has the 980ti been overclocked and run for years as a bitcoin harvester or has maybe the 1070 been abused in any way ? If they are new. Well, then I would pick the 1070. I use a 1080. I’m probably going to buy the 3070 once it is easily available, but, not for the pinball this time. I haven’t seen yet that the 1080 needs an update. It has been UltraDMD, db2s or too many collidable primitives that has been the issues up until now. I’m not very worried though. The guys that makes those very nice looking tables, also know how to create them efficiently, so a good looking table can often outperform a not so good looking one.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?