How to Add VR Tables to Popper

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ryguy417
    Participant
      @ryguy417

Hi all–been working on this for a while and I finally got it all working today. This guide helps you set up VPX VR tables in Popper–you can use your eyeballs to use popper, select a table, and then pop on your VR headset to play the table (I’m using a Quest with a 3rd party link cable).

1. Download VPVR 1.6 (not 1.7) and add to a new “VPVR” subfolder (or whatever you want to call it) in your main vpx directory
      2. Within your new VPVR folder, create a new folder “Tables” and add your VPVR tables (rooms, tables, etc.)
      3. Open VP GL (the only VP install in your VPVR folder) and make sure “force exclusive fullscreen” is turned on (this will make sure the table doesn’t lose focus and you can just start popping in your coins). Also, make sure VR is enabled, not autodetect
      4. Add a new emulator to popper:
        1. Make sure it points to your VPVR subfolder for the .exe file
        2. Point it to your VPX roms
        3. Optional: point it to your POP media directory if you want to make it easy to add to popper (assuming you use the same file names)
        4. Make sure it points to your VPVR Tables subfolder for the tables
          1. Optional: I’d recommend adding a “VR” table type so you can quickly create a VR Playlist
        5. I’m using this as my opening script and the same closing script as VPX.

START “” “[STARTDIR]Launch\VPXSTARTER.exe” 10 10 60 “Visual Pinball Player” 10 0 5
      cd “[DIREMU]”
      if “[ALTEXE]” == “” (
      START /min “” VPinballX_GL.exe “[DIREMU]” -minimized -play “[GAMEFULLNAME]”
      ) else  (
      START /min “” [ALTEXE].exe “[DIREMU]” -minimized -play “[GAMEFULLNAME]”
      )

Optional: if you use PUP Videos (which you should!), make sure you change the rom in the script so you’re not running PUP at the same time as VR. That’ll kill most systems.

When you’re done playing, exit out like you normally would and take off your VR. Then select a new table.

Note: if you don’t want to take your headset on and off, make sure to check out the awesome vpx VR-Launcher that @b4sti made. And make sure you read the directions first!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Olliebommel
      Participant
        @pintris

Thanks for this tutorial. I tried it but when I run VPVR with popper, I have a massive speed decrease and the whole room stutters very badly in my Oculus Rift S, making it totally unplayable. When I run VPVR directly it is smooth.

It seems that having popper still running in the background while the VR table is running has a massive impact, although nothing appears on my screens I have in my cabinet (I play VR in front of my “real” vpin).

Is your setup also VR on your vpin cabinet? does it run smooth?

Thanks

ryguy417
        Participant
          @ryguy417

Mine runs smoothly, but I’ve since switched to VR-Launcher with wireless play. I’m surprised Popper would slow things down that much though. But you’re right that it’s the only variable involved other than running it directly. I’ll play around with it a bit and see what I can figure out.

Olliebommel
          Participant
            @pintris

Hi,

Did you try to run VR  tables into popper. I tried several times and when launching it the way you described, I still see a huge performance difference. Far more ball stutter and also stutter when looking around when launching with popper, in comparison with launch directly from VPVR.

Thanks

ryguy417
            Participant
              @ryguy417

I did try last night without any issues. Nothing super unique with my setup…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?