Intro – hello, UK, 40″ table build

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RL20
    Participant
      @rl20

Hi,
      I’ve been lurking for a while, and a member recently too, learning the ins and outs of the various software components and building up a 40″ playfield table.

The table scale is roughly widebody ratios scaled down to a narrow lockbar ~90% of the real thing, plus around 10cm shorter since the backbox area doesn’t need to be so deep. Plywood contruction, butt joins glue/screw. 18mm thick except sides which are 12mm to get the playfield in!

Planned out on sketchup for external sizes and monitor sizes before ordering/cutting/assembling.

Speaker panel is DMD is taller than stock- 3:1 rather than 4:1, not table accurate – but to my eye seems to work better at this size machine.
      4:1 looked very letterbox and tiny @ 90% scale.

Computer is a Ryzen 5 3400G, 16Gb, M.2 500Gb drive, ASUS TUF B450 motherboard – running graphics from the processor during the build until things are closer to completion when I’ll add a separate graphics card. I/O is a KL25Z running Mike’s Pinscape firmware.

Playfield – Sharp 40″ 4k TV (currently running 2k for testing)
      Backblox – Pixl 27″ monitor
      DMD – 12.3″ LCD 1280×480

Mike’s website has been invaluable as reminder on details of table construction THANK YOU!
      http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php?sid=toc&from=title

I used to own a Judge Dredd table in the early 2000’s when they changed hands for under £1k GBP, whereas now tables are north of 3-4k!
      My experience is mostly mid 1990’s games, but of course if I see a table in the wild I’ll have a go, they’re just few and far between nowadays – last one seen in Conwy cinema Nov 2019 – A Game of thrones –  as typical slightly broken with dodgy sound – but very playable and perfect for waiting for a movie to start.

Yesterday got the KL25Z running so cabinet buttons working – which is going to slow build process massively as I test (play) tables!

Awesome software stack – especially considering its freeware, and awesome

(Some challenges with the add another file button not working so editing to add more pictures).

RL20
      Participant
        @rl20

Recent DMD/Playfield test

RL20
        Participant
          @rl20

Monitor swing arm – all access through the front of the backbox so I don’t have to move it for maintenance.
          The monitor sits on the horizontal back brace when in place so arm wobble/slack is eliminated and it locates in exactly the same spot every time.

Speaker panel lifts out similar to stock with everything attached, but no bottom channel for the bottom edge location so locates on a dowel.

RL20
          Participant
            @rl20

Computer in test – CPU graphics can drive a 2k playfield and 1280×480 DMD,  or playfield and backbox.

Plenty until I ‘know’ I can get the software singing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?