Maybe I’m Dumb – Wizard of Oz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MinnPinnTom
    Participant
      @minnpinntom

Okay, so I am pretty computer savvy (repairing them, getting around them, etc).  I am not, however, a programmer or a gamer (other than MAME and pinball stuff).

That being said, I have VPinball 8 and 9 and most tables you just throw into a directory, open them and play them.  I was excited to find advanced games like Wizard of Oz now exist. I downloaded it yesterday and the so called pup pack and I can open up the diagram or framework, but it errors out trying to play.  Obviously, there is some advanced setup situation and I haven’t a clue how to do it.

Can some kind soul please give me an easy step by step instructional on how to make WoZ and games like it work. Again, I don’t understand pup-packs or any of it.

Thanks so much!!

flstclasic
      Participant
        @flstclasic

You need Visual Pinball 10, commonly known as VPX.

The Loafer
        Participant
          @theloafer

and you need to install Pinup popper which comes with the necessary pup stuff.

https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php

MinnPinnTom
          Participant
            @minnpinntom

I do have VPX and it works. I guess I didn’t clarify that.  But WoZ doesn’t just load like regular games. I receive a “line 3951 activex component can’t create object ultradmd.dbobject” and presumably if it made it past that, there would be more errors. So, I am guessing these advanced tables don’t work quite as simply as the older ones. Am I right or am I just missing something?

Looking for steps. Thanks again.

MinnPinnTom
            Participant
              @minnpinntom

So, if I get pinup popper it will all fall into place or is there still more info I need?  Sorry to be a pest, but just want to make sure I am getting the full story.

Thanks again.

The Loafer
              Participant
                @theloafer

Ok let’s back up a bit. First of all, you need to understand that MOST (not all) of the advice you will get here is from people like me who play on a pincab so in absence of information you provided (very little on your hardware) I will assume you will be playing this on a two screen system at the very least.   If you are not, then you can play most tables and you may be able to play some PUP tables but understand they were designed first and foremost to work on a two screen minimum system.

What is evident here is you have components that are not installed.  So the first step is to install VPX again via the “all-in-one” installer. Doing so will install VPX, VP9, VP8, VP9 Physmod, UltraDMD (which is that error you are getting), db2s (the backglass) and VPM (latest non-beta version I believe).  You will still need to get tables, you will still need to get roms.  Those we leave to the user to fetch on their own, there are legal reasons why there are not packages of tables and roms grouped into single downloads.

The ultraDMD is a custom DMD client (a few tables such as WOZ support it) and DB2S is the backglass (for second screen support).  You kind of need to start here.  tables with PUP packs are designed for pincabs, where the videos of said table are playing on the backglass.  If you are playing mostly on single screen, there appears to be a way to run some pup packs but I have no idea how, but I would assume you google is your friend here.  In the case of WOZ it does need to run a pup pack and it plays best on two screens but if you read the entire WOZ release thread, there may be discussion on how to do it (or again google is your friend).  If you are playing in a pseudo pincab configuration or a two screen configuration, then WOZ should work and you can edit the script to skip the ultradmd as I think it’s not needed anymore as the score is displayed on the pup pack backglass (I could be wrong though…)

good luck

1 user thanked author for this post.
                MinnPinnTom
                Participant
                  @minnpinntom

Sorry, it is a PC and I do have dual screens. Thanks for the info. I just downloaded the all-in-one. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks again!

gtxjoe
                  Participant
                    @gtxjoe

People have told you to install the all in one VPX. That takes care if the UltrDMD support

They also told you to install Pinup Player. Did you do that yet?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?