Mildly Distracted – Pinball Controller "Prototype"

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    LynnInDenver
    Participant
      @lynnindenver

I’ve started the slow process of ordering bits and bobs for our eventual pincab – to be called “Radiant Silverball”.

This month’s purchase, I bought a pair of the KL25Z boards to run Pinscape with. (I always buy a spare.) Got one flashed, and soldered up a cheap little daughterboard to slot into it. Finally clipped off the old connector from a set of buttons I scavenged from one of those silly iCade bluetooth minicabs that I bought for $6 at a thrift, and soldered them in. I’m loving the ease of setup with the software. I built a quick and nasty prototype desktop controller box out of foamcore so I could test drive it. What I’ll probably do in the future is flash the other controller, and build a specifically desktop controller with one, and the other will go into the cab when I build it.

It’s already so nice to be able to play with a decent set of flipper and magnasave buttons, and have the ability to shake the “machine”. :yahoo:

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

So, with life continuing to hand us setbacks in terms of getting the virtual pincab built, I decided that it was time to “upgrade” the controller “prototype” to make it properly usable over the long term.

ControllerPopulated

More than 24 hours worth of 3d printing. A few nuts and magnets to hold the top on. And the buttons and KL25Z from the original foamcore prototype.

20190101_084120

You’ll notice I went a little “fancy” with the top, basically imitating siderails, lockdown bar, and glass on the top. It’s practically a lap controller, it’s actually a bit large to use directly on my desk, but it’s several levels better than what I was using if I didn’t just reach for my 360 controller. It’s got a nice weight to it, unlike the earlier iteration that I could almost sneeze right off the desk, and it doesn’t feel like I’m going to collapse it during a vigorous game of Firepower.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?