My first build: How important are authentic legs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gxechidna
    Participant
      @gxechidna

Hey, all!

Quarantine has led me to redo a basement into an entertainment space, and in turn has led me to interest in DIYing a virtual pinall table.

I’m a novice and still slowly learning the software (and I’m a cheapskate), but I’ve slowly started getting my supplies together including a PC, and suitable screens.

Wood won’t be an issue, cutting won’t be an issue, but when it comes to legs, I’m wincing at what appears to be a $100 standard set.

I’m not a purist, and I’m not really a nudger. Is there any structural advantage or requirement to using the folded-metal style of pinball table legs above, say, a set of chrome desk or table legs from Ikea? The kind that attach flush to the bottom via 5 screws.

Thanks!

njk70
      Participant
        @njk70

Thats a good question. One thing I noticed and had a question about was on my cabinet with ‘real’ pinball machine legs they splay out a tiny bit and I was curious if that was normal and to give it more stability. Or maybe they aren’t fitting correctly or maybe its my imagination that they aren’t exactly straight. I’m sure someone will have some experience with options.

You can also look for used ones on ebay for cheaper.

LynnInDenver
        Participant
          @lynnindenver

Yeah, the legs splay out a bit by design for stability.

Be careful with used legs. We bought two sets worth for $40 when we were ramping up for building Radiant Silverball – old Bally bingo machine legs. We got maybe a full really decent set and a usable but not ideal set (some of the legs were twisted slightly), and still had to strip and repaint them as the red enamel on them was in really bad shape. We got up to enough money into the refinishing (paint, paint stripper, and a spinny bit for the drill meant for removing paint) that it probably would have been about as much to just buy a set of new legs anyway. They do look pretty good on the machine (the cabinet art is really the standout on the cabinet, the legs don’t detract), and it’s not like we’re actively looking at the legs when we’re playing.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
          Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
          Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Badazzwi
          Participant
            @badazzwi

Pinball legs under 100 new

https://www.pinballlife.com/leg-sets.html

If your building the cab yourself you might also want  leg brackets, bolts and levelers which they also have.

I have placed a few orders here. They have a large selection of parts at good prices.  Good customer service from my experiences.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Badazzwi.
            JR
            Participant
              @jfr1

Definitely go with genuine legs.  I found a set on eBay for 30 including shipping.  Brackets, bolts, levelers from PBR I believe.  Everything creaks on my build EXCEPT the legs.  That’s not something you’d want to try and add later as you need to plan your build around the brackets.  Also, modern pins with deep cabs use shorter legs – 29″?  Old style are 31 ish.   Have fun!!  And post pics!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?