My Mini Pinball Controller

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Soxbrother
    Participant
      @soxbrother

Hello,

So this isn’t exactly about a cabinet, but….

A while ago I’ve made this mini Pinball Controller :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22664067@N02/albums/72157633471958539

Let me know what you think of it.

I have an iPac for my buttons and a Pacdrive for my lights.

I was wondering if there is a simple way to get some haptic feedback with it.

The space on the inside is limited though.

The last 2 pictures I took today from the inside, so you can see what space I have left.

Also if it’s possible to add some haptic feedback “toys”,

can they work with the Pacdrive without having to need an external power supply,

so that they only use usb power ?

Thanks in advance,

Soxbrother

Gwen
      Participant
        @gwen

That’s kinda nifty!  You could install a couple of exciters inside it for feedback.  They don’t need a lot of room. :good:

Gwen
        - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Soxbrother
        Participant
          @soxbrother

That’s kinda nifty!  You could install a couple of exciters inside it for feedback.  They don’t need a lot of room. :good:

Thanks for the suggestion.

So these exciters would be connected through my Pacdrive and powered with usb only ?

Also what feedback do these exciters give ? Everything a ball hits or limited to … ?

Thanks in advance.

Gwen
          Participant
            @gwen

Exciters are like speakers without the cones.  They create vibrations which propagate through whatever surface they are attached to.  You can physically feel the vibrations pretty well.  The exciters would need to be connected to the speaker output cables for the table sounds (not the backglass sounds).  Any sound sent to the table output will cause vibrations in the exciters.

I use two exciters inside my cabinet connected on the same circuit with two audio speakers.

I’m using: Dayton Audio DAEX25VT-4 Vented 25mm Exciter 20W 4 Ohm

And here’s what they look like: exciter

Gwen

Soxbrother
            Participant
              @soxbrother

Interesting stuff !!

I’m going to check if it’s possible.

Because my amp has 4 outputs, but only 2 are working, it’s really old, like maybe 20 years old LOL, maybe time for an upgrade. Or I have seen a very small amp in another thread, maybe I can connect 2 amps to my soundcard, I’ll have to check. Maybe it’s possible to connect more speaker wires into the same output ?

But I don’t know if that works at all.

Gwen
              Participant
                @gwen

I connected the two speakers and two exciters to one single set of outputs. So the exciters are wired in parallel with the speakers.

Gwen

GeorgeH
                Participant
                  @georgeh

I have thought about creating a similar set up for myself.  I thought about using some sort of game controller with 2 monitors set up like yours that are connected to my existing PC.  I don’t have the electrical knowledge to create a controller box like you have but it is far superior to what I was thinking.  I would buy something like yours if I could.  Do you use your existing desktop PC or do you have a separate one?

Soxbrother
                  Participant
                    @soxbrother

I have thought about creating a similar set up for myself. I thought about using some sort of game controller with 2 monitors set up like yours that are connected to my existing PC. I don’t have the electrical knowledge to create a controller box like you have but it is far superior to what I was thinking. I would buy something like yours if I could. Do you use your existing desktop PC or do you have a separate one?

When I connect it, it’s to my existing pc.

It’s always a bit of work laying the screen on it’s back.

I would prefer the have some sort of cabinet.

Maybe some sort of mini desktop cabinet, that would be nice.

I don’t have space for a full size cabinet. :-(

JR
                    Participant
                      @jfr1

I….have a feeling you’re going to find space for a cab at some point.  But until then, there are some very cool mini-cab builds I’ve seen that I’m thinking of making to take my addiction with me to parties, family functions, church.  Highly concur with Gwen about exciters.  I have a couple of larger ones (58mm) but those smaller ones would probably work better in your set-up.  They really make a difference.  Check out Parts Express, they have a bunch of different exciters.  I run mine off a cheap and small amp – – Lepy LP-838.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Lepy-LP-838-20W-Mini-HiFi-BASS-2-1-Car-Audio-Amplifier-For-Mobile-PC-Car-Auto/302932014769?hash=item468827b6b1:m:m1ht_RDvyUGPNjaOlI7oieA

And for anyone else reading this thread contemplating a small build, when I initially started on my cab project, I was temporarily running semi-current VPX games on two monitors with a Lenovo super small form factor M92p.  Thing is silly small.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CP7794X/ref=psdc_13896597011_t1_B073SJQW4B  …not future-proof, but works and WAY cheaper than an Intel Hades Canyon…which probably is future proof but $$$

Have fun and keep us updated!  Will like hearing what you try out.

Gwen
                      Participant
                        @gwen

I have thought about creating a similar set up for myself. I thought about using some sort of game controller with 2 monitors set up like yours that are connected to my existing PC. I don’t have the electrical knowledge to create a controller box like you have but it is far superior to what I was thinking. I would buy something like yours if I could. Do you use your existing desktop PC or do you have a separate one?

When I connect it, it’s to my existing pc.

It’s always a bit of work laying the screen on it’s back.

I would prefer the have some sort of cabinet.

Maybe some sort of mini desktop cabinet, that would be nice.

I don’t have space for a full size cabinet. :-(

I currently have my PC outside the cabinet since I use it for a lot of things besides pinball and I can’t afford another machine for now.  Eventually I will almost certainly move the PC into the cabinet.

As for expertise in various types of work there are plenty of people on this site who can help you find all the information you need to put together a top notch setup.

Gwen

zimbakin
                        Participant
                          @zimbakin

Brilliant! I can see that you built some weight into it, while still being portable. I like it..now I can take pinball with me.

Never take advice from me,
                          you'll end up drunk.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?