Transparent (24 bit MP4) Video support in Pinup Player and Popper! "Video ARC" a

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TerryRed
      @terryred
      MemberContributorModerator

Cool new feature for PuP and Popper! Transparent 24 bit Videos! Video Wheel ARCs! Overlay transparent Videos!

Here is a demonstration of a new upcoming feature in Pinup Player and Popper. Transparent (24 bit) Video support for any PuP screen! This means you can have loads a neat overlay video effects while browsing through Popper….and in PuP-Packs! Very cool stuff!

The Tarcisio Caleiro ARC used in the demo is NOT the final version…its an older WIP version that I used for testing because I still had the project file.

Note the ARC actually has a transparent center that shows an additional Transparent VIDEO layer underneath (the red LAVA liquid looking stuff). This mean we can have animated wheelbars or ARCS! Different ones per system,etc Very cool! You can also just have no “image” and just use an entire Transparent Video Arc!

Since all PuP screens can be transparent, this means that other screens can be used in a similar manner. So you’ll see the “Loading” screen is a transparent “blood” animation that still shows the playfield video playing underneath! Imagine all the cool effects that can be done!

Unlike the Jaws “Drain test” video that had a similar effect….that video was “fake”. It was a composited video combining the blood layer and another video underneath.

This is REAL-TIME 24 bit video with transparency! Cool as f**k!

Note: As far as how far this can be used, or how welll it will run on all systems is unknown. I’ve only tested this on my PC running in HD. I haven’t tested in my 4K cab yet, as I’m far away from home right now.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

I think the transparency broke your sound! Ha ha

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

TerryRed
          @terryred

I think the transparency broke your sound! Ha ha

Yah, I didn’t realize I had recorded with no sound until after it was uploaded. It was 2 am at that point…so I didn’t care. :)

TerryRed
            @terryred

This is another test showing Pinup Player using 5 PuP screen layers. Two of them are transparent layers (the castle frame is now a transparent video) playing 24 bit videos and removing the colour black in real-time to allow everything beneath to be displayed.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            TerryRed
              @terryred

@randr

VPinball Loading Video using Transparency in Pinup Popper looks kind of cool!

2 users thanked author for this post.
              randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

Ok now that is kinda neat  :good:

transparency in the front end is very cool

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                for IOS and Android

Cameron
                Participant
                  @cameron

This does look really cool. I look forward to see the creative things that come out of this!

takut
                  Participant
                    @takut
                    MemberContributor

Maybe a bit too late, but I found this topic right now.

How is it possible to save an mp4 file with 24bit for the transparent background? I found only the possibility to save *.avi or *.mov files with transparent alpha channel but don’t know how you do it with the blood into the video above.

Please help me to find out how I can do it and to close this important knowledge gap :-)

TerryRed
                      @terryred

You don’t.

PuP / Popper simply changes the vlc window to run in a transparent mode, and the transparent colour is black. No alpha channels involved.

The mp4’s are just normal mp4’s with black used for the transparent areas.

takut
                      Participant
                        @takut
                        MemberContributor

Thanks for the fast feedback.

Sound good, I will try it out this evening.

takut
                        Participant
                          @takut
                          MemberContributor

I try to become a transparent mp4 file, but it will not work. Into the Video Tool the background is transparent, but after render the video to mp4 (h.264 codec) the video background is black into VLC and also black into PupPack. I activate the “Transparent” hook into the tab “PuPPack Screen” and tray all “Mode” like ForceOn, ForcePop, etc. but the Video has always black background.

Any ideas what I doing wrong? :unsure:

TerryRed
                            @terryred

I try to become a transparent mp4 file, but it will not work. Into the Video Tool the background is transparent, but after render the video to mp4 (h.264 codec) the video background is black into VLC and also black into PupPack. I activate the “Transparent” hook into the tab “PuPPack Screen” and tray all “Mode” like ForceOn, ForcePop, etc. but the Video has always black background.

Any ideas what I doing wrong? :unsure:

You need to be sure your video is a proper full range video (0 to 255), and both your video card driver settings and TV must also be properly displaying full range RGB (0 to 255).

If any combination of that isn’t correct, then the “black” level isn’t correct and therefor VLC won’t display the black part of the video in transparent mode.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                            takut
                            Participant
                              @takut
                              MemberContributor

Terry, you are a master, thanks a lot  :rose:

The change of the video range on my monitor to 0-255 (full range now) fix it :yahoo:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?