Virtual Pinball DOF Force Fdbck 24VDC Contactor Solenoid “ThunderClap”

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Croppie1Kenobi
    Participant
      @croppie1kenobi

351EA27E-62D8-4697-838E-E1D6500BD33E
      anyone have any experience with these from eBay? Weighing my options before I get into this.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Never seen them before but look nice!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Croppie1Kenobi
        Participant
          @croppie1kenobi

These actually seem very well made and here in the US apparently. Image-1

robertms
          Participant
            @mophead

They look like they mean business, keep us posted how they work out for you. Are there any videos of them in action?

Croppie1Kenobi
            Participant
              @croppie1kenobi

there will be ;).

Gwen
              Participant
                @gwen

Got a link for these?

Gwen
                - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Croppie1Kenobi
                Participant
                  @croppie1kenobi

I found them on Ebay but he included a card with a website. Michael Berry BSEE, MCSE. http://www.IronXfer.com phone: 970-210-3614

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-each-Virtual-Pinball-DOF-Force-Fdbck-24VDC-Contactor-Solenoid-ThunderClap/184077529796?hash=item2adbe032c4:g:02YAAOSwPsBd7~4N

MaMikee
                  Participant
                    @mamikee

Hey that’s me!  Mike Berry here.  Someone gave me a tip about this forum and so I joined and…

I am [somewhat casually] selling the ThunderClap DOF contactors on eBay.  Casual as in not too much promotion or marketing but I saw a need and am trying to fill it.  It is a hobby, not my path to fame and wealth.

When I looked for DOF haptic solutions I came up empty.  Everyone was searching eBay for used Siemens contactors.  Since they aren’t very loud guys were using 2 of them to get what they wanted.  This didn’t seem right.  OEM manufacturers also can’t put in used parts.

Also some solutions weren’t safe.  “Ford” 12V relays aren’t rated for continuous excitation and so can overheat.  Something else was really needed.

Contactors aren’t naturally suited for the job VPin people are asking them to do.  They are designed to bring a set of electrical contacts together.  These contacts are on flexible copper and so the movement has a “soft landing”, not conducive to making noise.  The movements are also inside an enclosure which mutes noise.

My design starts with a massive 24 VDC coil (7.2 oz copper) and adds a bottom “stator” 4.8 oz and a top “actuator” 3.4 oz.  Lose the enclosure and you have a really loud clacker.  Whole thing weighs in at about a pound.  It takes special shipping considerations which I learned the hard way.  Continuous operation is OK so no danger there.

I’ll add more information as time allows.

Mike

Red1

Black1

5 users thanked author for this post.
                    Croppie1Kenobi
                    Participant
                      @croppie1kenobi

I got these installed and I’m not disappointed. They seem like they will last for a long time. You can play around with where and how they are mounted to get the sound you want. Solid product.

Croppie1Kenobi
                      Participant
                        @croppie1kenobi

Hey that’s me! Mike Berry here. Someone gave me a tip about this forum and so I joined and…

I am [somewhat casually] selling the ThunderClap DOF contactors on eBay. Casual as in not too much promotion or marketing but I saw a need and am trying to fill it. It is a hobby, not my path to fame and wealth.

When I looked for DOF haptic solutions I came up empty. Everyone was searching eBay for used Siemens contactors. Since they aren’t very loud guys were using 2 of them to get what they wanted. This didn’t seem right. OEM manufacturers also can’t put in used parts.

Also some solutions weren’t safe. “Ford” 12V relays aren’t rated for continuous excitation and so can overheat. Something else was really needed.

Contactors aren’t naturally suited for the job VPin people are asking them to do. They are designed to bring a set of electrical contacts together. These contacts are on flexible copper and so the movement has a “soft landing”, not conducive to making noise. The movements are also inside an enclosure which mutes noise.

My design starts with a massive 24 VDC coil (7.2 oz copper) and adds a bottom “stator” 4.8 oz and a top “actuator” 3.4 oz. Lose the enclosure and you have a really loud clacker. Whole thing weighs in at about a pound. It takes special shipping considerations which I learned the hard way. Continuous operation is OK so no danger there.

I’ll add more information as time allows.

Mike

Red1

Black1

I’ve dropped your name quite a bit. I really liked the product :good:

MaMikee
                        Participant
                          @mamikee

Thanks for the validation @croppie1kenobi !

I’m also experimenting with coil wraps.  It would be a way to personalize your VPin under the hood.

You can see some of my wraps above, here are some other examples of “private label” wraps here.

I’d like to get your ideas for wraps you would like.  Please let me know them and if you have bought a ThunderClap set I’ll make you a free set.  Or if you want to buy a set I can put them on, free for now.  I need the circuit drawing to stay, the rest of the area is open for grabs.

Steve

Mike

2 users thanked author for this post.
                          robertms
                          Participant
                            @mophead

@mamikee How about posting a short video of your contactors here? I’m sure quite a few of us would like to see/hear them in action.

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Yes I’d like to here them too.

********************************************************
                              Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                              for IOS and Android

********************************************************

MaMikee
                              Participant
                                @mamikee

Hello all,

Yes, this is on my list to do.  Even bought a new Nikon for the task!  Nice camera, can’t wait to try it in video mode.

I’ve dusted off my copy of Adobe Premiere CS5 (stop laughing – it’s paid for : – ) and found my notes on using it.  I’ve done video stuff before but I’m pretty rusty.

Right now though I’m trying to close on some land for my next house in Utah.  That’s taking most of my time.

Thanks for being diligent on me – I’ll get there!

mcb

TCRed1

TCPurple1

TCRed2

Mikesterz
                                Participant
                                  @mikesterz

I just want to confirm that using these for flippers without needing additional voltage regulating software or hardware, I can press down on the flipper for a while and it will not over heat?  I already burned out a few f150 solenoids (accidentally left them on the on position overnight during an installation, and smelled and felt it the next morning) so I’m familiar with the dangers.

MaMikee
                                  Participant
                                    @mamikee

Yes, they are rated for continuous duty, 100% duty cycle.  Don’t really even get warm as only 7W dissipated.  Mike

MaMikee
                                    Participant
                                      @mamikee

Someone made a video for me comparing ThunderClap! with Siemens:

https://youtu.be/oaK6dDSuXWg

Hope this link works, looks strange…   ( – :

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus
                                        ContributorMemberModerator

@mamikee : Just curious. Have you considered creating 12V version ? I know it won’t be as loud, but, if you run SSF, you might very well not want it to be.

MaMikee
                                        Participant
                                          @mamikee

I looked just now but don’t really see coils built for this design center.  Did find some but their price would make the end product too expensive to market.

mcb

Mikesterz
                                          Participant
                                            @mikesterz

Any chance of selling a 10 pack for a discounted price?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?