Walt Disney World table

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    OneKidsMeal
    Participant
      @onekidsmealstudios

Looking to get some people together to make this table a reality! I have never made a table before… BUT I am looking to do all the sounds and storyboarding on this project. 

The layout will mimic William’s Medieval Madness table with the Castle as the main centerpiece. This is a Fantastic table layout since it’s very easy to play yet VERY hard to master. I think it’s a perfect layout for a Disney theme.

The story of the table will follow the Walt Disney World Racing game that came out for PC and PlayStation. The goal is to collect parts from each ride to build the fireworks machine. When all is collected, you activate the Super jackpot which is the Fireworks show.

3D table elements would include a ramp that looks like a monorail (Monorail sound effects when hit), Walt and Mickey statue, Cinderellas Castle and Space Mountain (Open to more ideas!)

Some of the game modes I would like are:

1: Hit the 3 Hatbox ghosts to activate Escape the Haunted Mansion. This would be a 3 ball multiball where you have to hit the left ramp 3 times (Haunted Mansion music would be playing the whole mode).

2: Liftoff (Space Mountain game mode)

3: Catch the Rabbit! (Splash Mountain)

4: Extra ball (Park Ticket)

5: Mickey’s Magic ( random game mode like Merlins Magic)

6: Main Street Parade

AND MANY MORE (NEED IDEAS!) 

I really hope we can make this a reality since this is a table that will give us all nostalgia.  

Arcade and Virtual Pinball Cabinet Designer
      @Onekidsmealstudios

bjschneider93
      Participant
        @bjschneider93

This is a great idea. It’s something I have wanted to do in vpx but really have none of the skills needed to do it. It’s amazing how almost everything you have listed mimics what I was thinking. I would really prefer it in vpx though

OneKidsMeal
        Participant
          @onekidsmealstudios

Awesome to see we had the same idea! I really want to start this project, but I just joined and don’t know anyone on here. I am down to make it in VPX, I just need someone who is experienced with building tables that could take this on with me. My brother is amazing at 3d modeling so he would be able to make all the playfield “Toys” and anything else needed.

What other ideas did you have for it? I might draw the layout I’m thinking and post it. People can print it and add to it if needed.

@Onekidsmealstudios

bjschneider93
          Participant
            @bjschneider93

Like you I was thinking based on medieval madness but some of the top down amusement park style art similar to cyclone.  Other than the playfield toys you mentioned I hadn’t thought to much about it other than ramps being attractions. Possibly a spinner like tales of the Arabian knights but as the spinning tea cup ride. Not sure really but my wife is a huge Disney fan so I would love this for her. Physics seem much better in vpx which is why I prefer that

OneKidsMeal
            Participant
              @onekidsmealstudios

Well, let’s hope I can get this project going! haha

@Onekidsmealstudios

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

And you plan to make this for future pinball ? :wacko:

Good luck with getting anyone except Terry maybe to help you. Most people here don’t care much for that ancient engine with its very bad physics.

The thing is. I’ve seen a few people come up with ideas for new tables over the years. I can’t recall anyone getting help if there isn’t some clear signs that the original poster is serious about the project in that he prove himself that he is willing to put in the leg work required. Get something started, and not in FP, then maybe, just maybe will someone help you out when you’re stuck.

Making tables takes time. Doing it by following someone else’ ideas isn’t very attractive for most.

OneKidsMeal
                Participant
                  @onekidsmealstudios

I actually posted this in the wrong place… VPX is what I would want it built in. I thought Future pinball tables meant concepts lmao. I reposted this in the correct thread.

I am very willing to put in the time, I just know nothing about how to build one. If I did, I would start it my self. I have been trying to learn, but I haven’t got very far. As I said, I am a sound guy and graphics guy, so this is a big learning curve.

I don’t really understand what you mean by taking someone else’s ideas. The fact that I want to mimic an existing layout? or that I want to make a Disney table? Sorry, I am just trying to understand. I am new to all this and I just really want to make this a reality.

@Onekidsmealstudios

Thalamus
                    @thalamus
                    ContributorMemberModerator

I’m Norwegian and sometime, what I’m trying to say isn’t interpreted as intended. Kind of used to it by now and it is of course most of the time my fault.

What I meant to say. Your not the first one to come to this community with a wish and idea of table that hasn’t been made before. Getting someone to bite doing what I consider the hard work while you’re kind of the director of how this should come together isn’t really something I believe you’ll be able convince us to jump on with excitement.

Saying this. Spend some time looking at what people have done – from either doing it all from scratch. https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/clue-2018-original-pup-edition/ – reused existing rom https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/clash-the-original-2018/ – doing a recreation of a real pin https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/alien-star-gottlieb-1984/ or made an EM https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/polo-gottlieb-1970/

I think it is great that you come here and want to make something. But, it isn’t as easy as pointing at the candy you wanted while you where a toddler. You kind of have to see us as the adults in this case, and you’ve grown a few years too since. We expect you to make your own money and it you’re just barely short. We MIGHT consider helping you since you’ve made efforts into doing something on your own.

If you’re skills are really good. And you see things that can be improved in your area of expertise, and of course contributes with it. I’m sure you find that your get some virtual income to maybe get your project going.

Until you show some actual effort, you will not get anywhere – I’m almost 100% sure about that and that is/was my whole point.

fusionwerks
                    Participant
                      @fusionwerks

I totally agree, and somewhat disagree…

I had an idea for an original table like yours. I had all the graphic skills, but absolutely no idea how to script it. I asked somebody for help scripting and they took on my project with no strings attached. Maybe i was lucky that he didn’t have anything going on at the time? Maybe, but it took us about 4 months to finally nail everything down, and over a year from start to finish. As my project moved along it seemed that everyone i asked (including Thalamus) was more than willing to throw in their expertise to help me get it finished.

With that said, i really encourage you to not give up, but remember that scripting is going to be your major hurdle. My advice is figure out how to start working in the editor and get your layout mostly laid out, AND make SURE it is playable, and the shots are do-able. (or do like i did, and find an existing table that you love the layout, and copy the blueprint and work off of that.) Then make sure you have a solid and well defined rule set, and write down EVERYTHING that will happen for each shot. Ex.. When you hit the left ramp… Define what it does for the progress of the game or mode, Does it start a sound, stop a sound, add points, add to a ramp hit count, turn on a light, turn off a light, move a toy, play a video, display text on DMD. What happens if you hit it when it is in a MODE or not in a MODE?

If you have all this typed out and explained like i did, it might help convince someone to help you do the scripting because they will know up front exactly how you want stuff to work, and its easier to foresee things that need to be connected in the script without having to rework events…

If things go well like they did for me, you can use your table to build new tables without too many changes in the script. Like the example above, it will be the same subroutine for the left ramp, but it will be different sounds, text, lights, etc.

Other bits of advice:

Try to start to learn what is in the command reference.txt

Watch ScottyWic’s playlist on Visual Pinball Design: HERE

Look at the scripting in original tables like mine, and look for sections that say Sub LeftRampDone_hit,  kicker1_hit, Bumper1_hit. You will see the events that transpire when that switch is hit. You will see the sound that gets played, the score that gets added, etc… I Think its more helpful to look at original tables for this, because things are usually referenced a little more clearly, like LeftRampSwitch, rather than SW23

Look int the Pinup player to handle your text and scoring, videos, sounds, etc. (way better and more flexible than UltraDMD)

Maybe start looking at some peoples WIP threads, both here and on the other sites, and volunteer your expertise. NOT to expect help in return, but to get your name more recognizable.

I wish you all the best on your quest. Good Luck!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      OneKidsMeal
                      Participant
                        @onekidsmealstudios

Those were REALLY helpful tips! THANK YOU

It’s going to be really hard to learn everything you just mentioned since there will be a massive learning curve for me. I am dedicated to try it out and see if I can edit an already existing table.

I really appreciate the help.

@Onekidsmealstudios

fusionwerks
                        Participant
                          @fusionwerks

Trust me its hard, but not impossible. If my pea brain can handle it anyone can. I only started learning a little over a year ago. I’m no expert in that amount of time, but i understand enough to do it.

This also isn’t the only forum to look and ask for help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?