Home automation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

Anyone have a setup? I just got the wink hub 2 and a few switches, outlets and new thermostat and I must say it’s very cool. Somewhat silly but neat :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

Drybonz
      Participant
        @drybonz

I would like to have it after we buy a house (we rent now) just because it is kind of science fiction-y and cool… lol.  Can you control it with an iphone app?

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Am be controlled with anything even voice

for IOS and Android

roar
          Participant
            @roar

In my previous house I set the basement and theatre up with a Crestron system… defiantly cool but if I didn’t do it myself no way I could justify the cost of Crestron setup. In the new house we haven’t done the basement yet and no automation short of our Nest Thremostat and Fire detectors.

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

I’m going to  make it so I can turn on my pinballs by name :)

for IOS and Android

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

I’m going to  make it so I can turn on my pinballs by name :)

for IOS and Android

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Well I had to start doing pinballs automatically turn on so I added 3 will add more over time.

IMG_4268

for IOS and Android

Attachments:
                  Al
                  Participant
                    @alandee

I run a fibaro zwave system, and have quite a lot automated at home, and my observatory, dehumidifier and bar fridge on the farm.

Love it, it’s a useful system for little things that you forget you’ve allocated it. My observatory opens when it knows I’m heading there based on GPS and weather, then it starts the bar fridge so I have a cool drink and ice for scotch .. it closes by itself if the weather becomes inclement, and dehumidifies if it’s too steamy. Then at home we have a series of lights controlled for night time adventures into the kitchen/bathroom, all the cameras, open and close windows based on weather and weather forecast, and alarm integration for if we are away .. it lets me know the temperature at home, I had hoped to get the AC working autonomously, but the interface I have for the AC is pretty poor, so that’s on the back burner, but I can log in seperately to turn on the AC and cool the house during summer as I leave work .. it tells me when somone rings the doorbell and sends me a picture, umm, it closes the garage door if the alarm is set and it’s left open, I can open my back door if someone drops over and I want to grant them access ( we have a mudroom with a lockable internal door so deliveries can be made without me having to be there and they stay secure )  .. It can open the shed when get to the end of the block, and turn on a light when I get to the house, heck I’ve even had it play happy birthday, turn on a video through kodi/xbmc and disco the lights when my wife got home and I was away for work ..

Having said that, it’s the lighting and little scripts like that that make it great, and you can do that with any system. I don’t have voice integration, I haven’t found the right hardware that “I must have” yet, but there are a few peeps that have integrated a netatmo home or welcome or whatever it’s called, so it sees them, identifies their face and greets them, issues a challenge code and disarms the alarm, turns on their fave music if it’s during the day, turns on the light to whatever etc ..

I had it playing a riff that my wife loves whenever she gets home first through our sonos system, that was cute, but bloody annoying, so now I set the script to run randomly just to be annoying. When I first had it operational, and it is all diy and pain and sweat and cursing, I was showing a mate the interface after a few brews and late at night, before I remembered my wife was at home with my eldest daughter .. had the tv & kodi / xbmc turning on and off, the lighting going nuts, music paying, windows opening and closing and then I got a phone call …

I did have ideas of a having a pic taken at the pincab when the knocker activated for highscore, kinda like the scream pics on a roller coaster, but I haven’t got my studio/games room set up completely yet

Oh yeah, I forgot .. I got it over the line claiming we could monitor energy usage, save power by opening windows to ventilate rather than airconditiong, turn lights off automatically .. all the sensible stuff that I think most systems can handle also ;)

power-monitoring

So the first one is my generated solar power, the others are usage on other sub boards.

Cheers,

al.

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Very nice! I like it too. I have the wink system and have a few relays on walls so can control everything from a few spots if you don’t have phone with you or don’t want to use Alexa. It’s very cool stuff for sure.

for IOS and Android

DJRobX
                        @djrobx
                        MemberModerator

I used to work for a home automation company, so I’ve been at this subject for a long time.    That product morphed into what’s now known as MiCasaVerde Vera.

My home has the following automated:

1. Most lights are on addressable dimmers
                        2. Ecobee thermostat
                        3. Ceiling Fans (variable speed)
                        4. Fireplace
                        5. Alarm panel integration
                        6. Two Z-wave dead bolts
                        7. Chamberlain garage door opener
                        8. Etherrain sprinker system controller
                        9. Hot tub (Heater, Filter, Lights, and water filler)
                        10. Outdoor fountain

The most useful is by far the spa.   The controls for that were all over the place – to turn on the heater you’d have to go to the pool equipment, the light switch and fillers were all in different places.    Now they’re all in one neat place.

The second best is having the sprinkler system controllable by my iPhone.  If you’ve ever needed to repair sprinkler parts, being able to test them easily without mucking with the controller that’s far away is gold, gold, gold.

Third is the alarm panel integration.  Its sensors are used to trigger events in the HA system (i.e… open the back door, the landscape lighting comes on automatically if it’s night time).   And it’s nice to be able to arm and disarm it from the app.   I just found a module to integrate with the panel that came with the house, so it wasn’t a big expense.

Light control is probably the most common “home automation” thing but I actually find it to be the least useful.   Light switches are usually in really logical, easy to use places.    Climate controls are way more useful.   Nice to be able to turn the fire place on or turn a ceiling fan on without getting up.

randr
                        Keymaster
                          @randr
                          ModeratorMember

Nice!!

i find this very addictive. I have the z-wake dead bolt (schlage) and a Honeywell wifi thermostat and now 26 smart switches/outlets! The 2 wink relays are cool it has 3rd party apps you can run like Fitbit weather and others. I need the sprinkler system monitor thing and garage door sensor. I also was thinking of getting leak detector that shuts main off if it senses a leak! Oh and security system is 15 years old but have not found a nice system to replace it with yet.

i love the light switches btw! Most switches are 3 way so was a pain to wire but did all switches with dimmers and is so nice to control it all from iPhone or via Alexa.

********************************************************
                          for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?