SetDMD alternative

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    DemoMan
    Participant
      @demoman

Hi,

I’m relatively new to the scene (rediscovered it this year, was amazed by the progress made and built a VP cabinet) but would like to contribute something back (hope this is the right forum).
      One of the tools I came across while getting everything up & running, was SetDMD and altough it worked fine (thanks Bigboss), I thought the feedback from the program was very minimal.

So I built an alternative version (attached in zip) :
      it scans the registry for installed roms and displays them (see screenshot)
      you can :

• get details for each rom (all the settings)
      • start a fake DMD window and use that to position the DMD
      • and/or start the actual PinMame window for that rom
      • also change  the ddraw and external DMD settings for each rom
      • copy these settings to all installed roms (like setDMD does)

I hope someone will find it useful (I do) and I’m open to suggestions for improvements or features

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Very nice!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Even though I have a real dmd that can’t move, there are a few times when I need to run with the built in dmd.

Setdmd – yes. I agree it does the job but it is a bit confusing. I welcome your version with open arms. Thank you !

DemoMan
          Participant
            @demoman

What’s  a POP front end signature?

randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Pinballx has this neat code you can add to your signature that shows last played game and when you click on sig it will open up specs on your system, game list an stuff. It’s very neat just nice to see what people enjoy playing

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                @terryred
                MemberContributorModerator

Great stuff…very welcome to help those who need to change DDRAW when going exclusive fullscreen and are afraid to mess with the registry.

DemoMan
                Participant
                  @demoman

Thanks for the positive feedback :good:

Just put up a page for the tool at http://tinypin.nl/VPtools

Here you can download updates and see a change log.

BTW : I added a new feature : ‘cabinet buttons’ – so once you start a ROM, you can use these to manipulate settings (like the 7,8,9,0 keys in VP).

Attachments:
                  2 users thanked author for this post.
                  RYSr (Rich)
                  Participant
                    @rysr

Thanks for the positive feedback :good:

Just put up a page for the tool at http://tinypin.nl/VPtools

Here you can download updates and see a change log.

BTW : I added a new feature : ‘cabinet buttons’ – so once you start a ROM, you can use these to manipulate settings (like the 7,8,9,0 keys in VP).

@Demoman

Thanks for the site and the update. I’m at a loss however on how the coindoor buttons will work. I thought they only work when VPM is running in VP.

I tried using them in VPTools v 0.4.2 (just downloaded) with a ROM running but nothing happens except VPtools closing when you hit the enter key. What am I missing here?

Rich

Drybonz
                    Participant
                      @drybonz

I don’t know if this would be hard to do, but I always thought it would be useful to “show DMD” for only the tables that have a DMD display.  In other words, say you have to reinstall VP and if you have all the tables set to not show the DMD in the registry, then you have to go through and set up all your DMD displays again.  If you had a way to only apply “show DMD” to the tables that should have a DMD it would be really helpful… not sure if that would even be possible.

DemoMan
                      Participant
                        @demoman

@Rich
                        Not sure how you tested,  you need to start the ROM from the VPtools – it cannot modify an already running ROM started by another program (like VP) because that’s a separate instance of VPM.

In any case, if you just use VPtools and start a (working) WPC Rom and then click the green ‘Enter’ key, it should start the WPC menu and you can then use the other buttons just like you would in the real thing. Haven’t tested with non-WPC tables yet..

@Drybonz
                        – thanks for the suggestion – but how to decide which tables should have a DMD ? I mean – although an alphanumeric display technically is not a DMD, you may want to show it anyway (like if you don’t have backglass for it).
                        For VPtools , ‘DMD’ is maybe not the right word, ‘Display’ would be better..

Drybonz
                        Participant
                          @drybonz

Np… I figured there wasn’t a practical way to do it.

TerryRed
                            @terryred

Would it be possible to have a “at91jit” button (not visible in pinmame settings). That, “use external DLL” button and “DDRAW” are the most common problems that users tend to need to change and it would be really convenient to have those handy.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

If you implement that – you should also make sure there is an option to set it for the default as well so you DON’T have to go in for every new rom you start to enable it.

RYSr (Rich)
                              Participant
                                @rysr

@Rich

In any case, if you just use VPtools and start a (working) WPC Rom and then click the green ‘Enter’ key, it should start the WPC menu and you can then use the other buttons just like you would in the real thing. Haven’t tested with non-WPC tables yet..

I was trying to use my Cabinet’s buttons or the  7,8,9,0 keyboard buttons.. :wacko:

Perhaps a better description in the utilities would be “coin door functions”, the Cab buttons description led me astray..

Anyway when I pressed on the items in the utility, it worked on Bly/Wlm wpc,wpcs, and wpc 95 roms, but I get an “unhandled exception error has occurred in you application” message when I try any Stern,Data East, or pre Wpc Bal/Wlm roms.

VPtools-error

Attachments:
                                TerryRed
                                  @terryred

If you implement that – you should also make sure there is an option to set it for the default as well so you DON’T have to go in for every new rom you start to enable it.

I personally would also like to see MANY more options available in the PinMAME options window such as DDRAW and at91jit…

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

What ? I was under the impression that if I create eg at91jit with a value of 0 in default. It would be read and used if I start a rom that I haven’t used before ?!

CarnyPriest
                                    Participant
                                      @carnypriest

What ? I was under the impression that if I create eg at91jit with a value of 0 in default. It would be read and used if I start a rom that I haven’t used before ?!

Yes, but why would you want to disable jit as a default? Should only be disabled as a last resort.

Thalamus
                                        @thalamus

Haha. Yes, it was an example. I should have used ddraw ;)

DemoMan
                                        Participant
                                          @demoman

Thanks again for feedback,  0.4.3 update :

at91jit setting  (never heard of it, but after Googling I now know what this does ;-)
                                          now also save ext DMD to all Roms :-/
                                          coin door buttons only work for WPC roms for now..  (will have to do some research and/or enable keyboard buttons for Non WPC games)
                                          added some tooltips

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          DemoMan
                                          Participant
                                            @demoman

BTW : if you do a ‘Save All’, the default will be saved to as well..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?