Reply To: Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (Sega 1995) v1.0

Schreibi34
Participant
    @schreibi34

schreibi34/Herweh/Dark/all contributors: This turned out much better than I expected. Truly my mind is blown. Once more, love the LUT’s and I really have to figure out how to add these to a few other tables (that don’t use the magna save). The gameplay is great, love the physics. Frank is glorious, such an important part to this table.

I am curious of one thing, a nitpick: the plastic that appears to be reflecting the DMD. Since it’s not a true reflection it kind of looks a bit odd during gameplay. That’s it and it’s a nitpick, seriously.

Yes, definetly a nitpick ;-) but let me explain this:

The reflection is alot more intense then people would think is real. But it’s actually not. It all depends on what is reflecting of whatever surface under certain lighting scenarios! When you look at the picture below you can see how the DMD is reflecting of the glas when using the (almost) same low room light as i did for the rendering. In real life there is a glas covering the playfield and what it does is reflecting light rays before they reach an object on the table. So it’s very unlikely IRL to have my BG reflection on that transparent plastic. For a couple of reasons such as noise and fireflies in the render which result in high render times we don’t use the PF glas as a render object. With no PF glas the BG light rays will reflect of the plastics alot more then on a real table. I decided to keep this to somehow make up for the missing PF glascover. Does it look realistic? NO! Does it look shiny? Yes it does if you keep your head still. And this is the point where you as a render guy have to decide whether you ignore this imperfection in the whole system or if you stop prerendering stuff for hundrets of hours and wait vor VPXI. I decided to wait already about half a year ago but couldn’t resist on this one! I could have used a different material for that plastic but it also looked somehow “wrong”. Same goes for the sidewalls. I had to make three textures from different angles so it looks at least halfway decent when changing the POV! This is all alot of work for reaching an imperfect perfection!

Thanks for bringing up a good point Rob! It was about time to explain why we have to take that next step in VP! I know that the Devs will work their asses off the next couple of years to make this happen! So my thanks goes out to all the guys who do the important stuff behind the scenes! :good: VPX is great, but for pushing the limit you will also have touch it and therefore you have to be close to it! If you know what i mean….

Screenshot_20200411-190930_YouTube

1 user thanked author for this post.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?